Your favourite Eccleston/Tennant/Smith acting moments

2»

Comments

• Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Snipped for space)

I loved your list - a real nostalgia trip. It made me want to watch every single one of those episodes over again. :)

It reminded me just how cringeworthy some of the dialogue has been.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this thread ensured i ordered the RTD era box set of all 4 series....£40 bargain...i feel like reliving it all.....despite my lack of love for series 2 and bulk of series 3.....there are some fine moments here!
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Difficult to isolate the bets, in honesty, but here's my contribution:

Eccleston: The turning of the world speech - Rose

Tennant: River's 'death scene', and the dawning realisation of the reason for giving her the screwdriver.

Smth: "Good men don't need rules. Now is not the day to find out why I have so many." - 'A Good Man Goes to War'
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »

Your loss.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »

LOL Why am I not surprised? :)
  • mostimitatedmostimitated Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWoDuF84i9E

forgot this one in my list. Its when River whispers the Doctor's name in his ear in Forest Of The Dead.

David's acting here and Murray Gold's score are virtually perfect
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

forgot this one in my list. Its when River whispers the Doctor's name in his ear in Forest Of The Dead.

Oh yeah, that's a great one. Also, the same episode when there's a shot of him after River dies, the pain in his eyes is anoher wonderful moment.

And for Smith, I totally forgot to mention "nobody human has anything to say to me today" from The Beast Below.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yeah, that's a great one. Also, the same episode when there's a shot of him after River dies, the pain in his eyes is anoher wonderful moment.

And for Smith, I totally forgot to mention "nobody human has anything to say to me today" from The Beast Below.

Oooh, great choice re: TBB line. It's all in the delivery. Actually took me aback as much as Amy and Liz 10! Thought at the time; "Debut no fluke, this lad's got it!"

Add the "...escaped fish" line and the way he adjusts his bow tie before the whale vomit hits....ah, just lovely stuff. The epic speeches are great, but it's often all in the details for me...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Eccleston-
    The "Everybody lives!" scene cannot be denied. It was so heartfelt and powerful. In Dalek, when he realized what he was doing was brilliant. And, I loved him at the end, between "coward, always" and his regeneration scene, it was heartbreaking. But not overly done.

Tennant-
    Family of Blood/Human Nature - As so many have had said, his acting is brilliant in this whole episode

Christmas Invasion - His coming back after the Tea and of course: "It is DEFENDED."

Smith-
    There are so many: But his big speeches, In The Eleventh hour "Hello, I'm the doctor, basically run."Time of Angels ("A big big mistake. Really huge. Didn't anyone ever tell you? There's one thing you never put in a trap—if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow—there's one thing you never ever put in a trap. Me", The Pandorica Opens (" Hello Stonehenge!" up to: "Remember! Every black day I ever stopped you! And then! And then! Do the smart thing! Let somebody else try first", the Rings of Akhaten ("I've walked in universes where the laws of physics were devised by the mind of a mad man!")
    His expressions are incredible. I love watching him as the Doctor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member

I looove River & 10 in Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead!

But I agree will literally all these moments, there's too many to pick a few!
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    oh my there is a lot! I'll try to be brief:

Eccelston:

Rose: The turn of the Earth speech

Bad Wolf: Saying no to the Daleks 'Rose, I'm coming to get you!'

Parting Of The Ways: the whole sequence from when he says 'Coward, anyday', takes the vortex from Rose and then breathes it back into the TARDIS, right up until his regeneration.

Tennant:

The Christmas Invasion: 'Did you miss me?', speech at the end to Rose, Mickey and Jackie 'and it is gonna be...fantastic'

The Girl In The Fireplace: Reading Madame de Pompadour's letter, and after saying 'I'm always alright' to Rose

School Reunion: 'Hello Sarah Jane', saying goodbye to Sarah Jane at the end

The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit: talking about his beliefs

Doomsday: wall scene and Bad Wolf beach

The Runaway Bride: looking down over the Racnoss as he commits genocide

The Lazarus Experiment: Speech to Lazarus in the church 'Its not the time that matters, its the person'

42: trying to tell Martha about regeneration when he is burning from the parasite

Human Nature / Familiy of Blood: all of it

Utopia: last twenty minutes of the entire ep

Sound of Drums: telling Martha and Jack about Gallifrey and the Untempered Schism

Last of the Timelords: crying over the Master plus burning his body

Fires of Pompeii: In the TARDIS with Donna, 'I can never go back, I just can't' and then 'Come with me'

The Doctor's Daughter: His speech about the Time War / Time Lords 'Only it's gone now. Gone forever'
    and his acting after Jenny's death 'I never would'

Midnight: most of it

The Stolen Earth: seeing Davros again, reunion with Rose

Journey's End: Donna mindwipe and being alone in the TARDIS right at the end

The Next Doctor: showing Jackson Lake the info stamp images of the Doctor all the way to the Tenth, and 'They break my heart'

The Waters of Mars: whole sequence when he is listening to them dying and then goes back to the base to save everyone. 'The laws of time are mine and they will obey me!', The Time Lord Victorious and end of the episode

The End of Time: Cafe scene, scene in the junkyard with the Master where he hears the drumming, talk with Wilf on the spaceship about why he can't kill the Master, facing Rassilon and the Master, thinking he is alive then hearing the four knocks, his rage 'It's not fair' then still saving Wilf, his wounds healing 'It's started.' All of his goodbyes, particularly to Sarah Jane, Verity and Rose. The regeneration

Matt Smith:

Eleventh Hour: all of it especially calling the Atraxi back then rooftop speech and then first revealing the TARDIS to Amy

Beast Below: 'Notice everything' sequence, His scorn to Amy 'You took it upon yourself to save me from that, and that was wrong', Nobody human has anything to say to me today!' , his reaction when Amy is telling him he is like the Star Whale at the end of the ep 'can't stand to watch children cry'

Time of Angels / Flesh and Stone: Octavian death scene, shouting at River when trying to save Amy

Vampires of Venice: 'You didn't know Isabella's name!' scene with Calvierri, 'Tell me the whole plan!' scene with the vamp girls in the crypt (?), shouting at Amy 'back to the TARDIS' just after Isabella's father dies,

Amy's Choice: 'Nobody in the universe hates me as much as you' when he tells the Dream Lord that he knows who he is, scene in the van when the Dream Lord is goading him 'the old man prefers the company of the young', his reaction to Amy's scorn 'then what is the point of you?'

The Hungry Earth / Cold Blood: 'Nobody dies today' speech to all the Welsh people and Rory, taking Amy into the TARDIS after Rory dies acting like he isn't going to do anything and then trying to help her remember, speech to the mother about her son 'Raise him to be what you couldn't be'

Vincent and the Doctor: trying to comfort Vincent when he is having one of his episodes, taking Vincent to the gallery, ending scene in the gallery comforting Amy

The Lodger: when he is being drawn to the control panel on the ship, explaining to Craig why the ship doesn't want him 'You're Mr Sofa Man'

The Pandorica Opens: 'Do the smart thing, let somebody else try first' speech

The Big Bang: speech when he is in the Pandorica barely alive telling Amy to remember her parents and they will be there, then the speech when his timeline is unravelling and he tells her that she will remember the days that never came, scene with River at the end and final scene in the TARDIS where they go off to the Orient Express

A Christmas Carol: 'I've never met someone who wasn't important'

Impossible Astronaut, Day Of the Moon: 'Don't play games with me, don't ever think you're capable of that' that entire scene, speech to the Silence at the end, awkwardly not knowing how to react when River kisses him

The Doctor's Wife: shouting at Aunty and Uncle when he sees the Time Lord distress signal collection, his reaction when House takes the TARDIS and he screams 'open this door!', when the TARDIS spirit is released into the console room 'Finish him off girl.' , saying goodbye to the TARDIS 'I don't want you to go', final scene where he is asking 'are you there?' and the lever goes down by itself

A Good Man Goes To War: Colonel Runaway speech, scene with Lorna Bucket as she is dying,

Night Terrors: 'These are old eyes'

The God Complex: 'I'm not a hero' speech to Amy and saying goodbye to her

Asylum of the Daleks: opening scene on Skaro 'not many people can do that, send me messages', his fear when trapped in intensive care, realising Oswin is a Dalek

The Power of Three: telling Brian about the companions he has lost 'never them Brian, never them', scene on the rooftop with Amy 'I'm running to you and Rory before you fade from me'

Angels take Manhattan: his rage when reading the chapter titles, giving River regeneration energy to heal her hand, goodbye scene to Amy, his dejection in the TARDIS, reading Amy's afterword

The Snowmen: majority of it, particularly the scene in which he shows Clara the TARDIS and gives her a key before she is grabbed by the Ice Lady

The Rings of Akhaten: speech to Grandfather

Hide: 'I am the Doctor and I am afraid'

Journey To The Centre of The TARDIS: 'What are you? A trick? A trap?' scene and in the heart of the TARDIS 'she's always been there for me and now I don't know what to do'

Wow well I think that's a comprehensive list :o

bits in bold are probably my most favourite moments but that is subject to change :cool:

OMG, can you remember what meal you had at 5pm on the 17 March 1982 too?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Maybe a bit vague but I just loved almost everything about "School Reunion".
    I dunno whether it was good acting by Tennant or whether he was just being genuine but it all seemed very "honest".

The whole "My Sarah Jane" thing still brings a lump to my throat, possibly because the way SJS sort of disappeared but then came back "home" to Doctor Who reflected Liz Sladen's career as well.

Similar thing in "Time Crash" as well.
    I kinda got the feeling that Tennant's whole "You were my Doctor" speech was actually Tennant speaking, rather than the Doctor.

*EDIT*
    While I'm at it, I also liked Matt Smith's "Good men don't need rules" speech in AGMGTW.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I kinda got the feeling that Tennant's whole "You were my Doctor" speech was actually Tennant speaking, rather than the Doctor.

I thought that, too. I hope he controls his hero worship a bit when he goes for tea with the in-laws.:)
  • mostimitatedmostimitated Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    garbage456 wrote: »
    OMG, can you remember what meal you had at 5pm on the 17 March 1982 too?

Haha I only remember as I did a big New Who rewatch before series 7b started :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Maybe a bit vague but I just loved almost everything about "School Reunion".
    I dunno whether it was good acting by Tennant or whether he was just being genuine but it all seemed very "honest".

The whole "My Sarah Jane" thing still brings a lump to my throat, possibly because the way SJS sort of disappeared but then came back "home" to Doctor Who reflected Liz Sladen's career as well.

Similar thing in "Time Crash" as well.

*EDIT*
    While I'm at it, I also liked Matt Smith's "Good men don't need rules" speech in AGMGTW.

Haha, yeah, the whole special is a few mintes of Tennant being a fanboy IMO. :D
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ecclestone: There are two main ones for me, the everybody lives scene and the scene where Rose is being sent home in The Parting Of The Ways and he turns to face her. I will never get over that one. I also remember really liking the 'I'm so glad I met you' scene in The Unquiet Dead.

Tennant: The entirety of the Impossible Planet/Satan Pit episodes. I think I really liked the ending of Utopia as well.

Smith: Too many to choose from but the Stonehenge speech, Amelia scene in Big Bang and the ending of The Angels Take Manhattan are up there. Oh, all of The Doctor's Wife as well.