Using GHD hair straighteners in America - will they work?

ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm going on holiday to Canada and America tomorrow. I want to take my GHD's with me, but afraid it might not work. Has anyone tried their UK bought ones over there? Is there some kind of voltage adaptor/converter I can buy?

Comments

• PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll need to buy a US plug. You can get them in most electrical stores or at the airport.
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got GHD's and I went to America earlier this year, I emailed GHD and they said my straightners WOULD not work only their latest ones will work as they have dual voltage.

See below email that was sent to me

The only GHD that will work within the USA are the IV (MK4) Model, as they are dual voltage for international use.

Kind regards
    Exclusive Brands
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They won't get as hot as usual over there. Something to do with the Americans using a lower voltage than us.

It has been debated a lot on the Dibb - www.thedibb.co.uk. Have a look and search the forums there for more advice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a previous poster said, the IV ones will work normally in America as long as you have an adaptor plug. If the ones you have are not dual voltage then they won't heat up properly and will be virtually useless.

I have an older model of GHDs and I couldn't afford to fork out for a new pair, so I just got the cheapest dual voltage straighteners i could find. They were £20 and worked a treat so I just use those when I'm on holiday.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice. I actually do have the IV version so hopefully it'll work if I buy an adaptor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,798
    Forum Member
    The electricity in Europe, Australia and UK is 220-250volts, while the electricity supply in US/Canada and possibly Japan is 110v, the elements may not warm up at all or get slightly warm, but if you have dual voltage straighteners thats fine. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Shappy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice. I actually do have the IV version so hopefully it'll work if I buy an adaptor.

I have the IV and they have worked for the last 2 years without any problem at all in the US, they just take slightly longer to heat up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Ratbag* wrote: »
    I have the IV and they have worked for the last 2 years without any problem at all in the US, they just take slightly longer to heat up.

That's what I have found when I have been on holiday to the US too, but yeah, they work without a problem as long as you buy an adaptor :)
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,591
    Forum Member
    My GHDs have a 2-pin plug inside the 3-pin one, so if yours are the same, then I assume they'll work.
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    The appliance will tell you on it what the input voltage is.
    If it is dual voltage it will say "100-240V AC 50/60Hz" and it will work on both European 230V 50Hz and North American 110V 60Hz supplies.

If it says only 230V 50Hz (or similar) it is designed to work on supplies in Europe, Africa and Asia, but not N America. So it may not work at all or not work properly.
    Something relatively low tech like a heating element probably will do something on a 110V supply but probably won't get as hot as it would on the correct voltage.