Options

Christmas help much appreciated - 5.1 surround sound system.

joopyjoopy Posts: 1,353
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

Complete surround sound system novice.

I've been reading up on a system to buy for Christmas. I'm usually OK with anything technical, but it's just going in one ear and out the other. :o

I'd be very grateful for any help.

I've got an LG LH4000 TV - which has an optical out, but no ARC pass through (see I have been reading!).

I also have a Tivo box, an Xbox 360 - and a laptop that I connect to my TV via HDMI to watch movies.

Basically, how do I connect all of these please - particularly the laptop?

The surround sound system I'm looking at has three optical out (TV, Tivo, Xbox?) and 3 HDMI input/1 output (Laptop?)

Is it right that I just plug the HDMI from my laptop into the receiver and it's good to go?

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I very much doubt it has three optical outputs, more like three inputs. :)

What you would do is plug the TiVo box, Xbox and laptop via HDMI into one each of the three HDMI inputs on the receiver. The receiver HDMI output plugs into one of the HDMI inputs on the TV.

You also plug an optical lead from the TV's output to one of the receiver's optical inputs.

The receiver takes over the source selection duties from the TV. It extracts the audio from the HDMI input you select and processes that and sends the pictures on to the telly. When you want to watch a TV programme you use the TV as normal to choose the channel to watch and on the receiver select the optical input the TV is plugged into to make the noise.
  • Options
    joopyjoopy Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right, three inputs!

Thanks very much for the reply. Clears things up completely! Much appreciated.

Bought it now. :)