Russia Today gone widescreen

a516a516 Posts: 5,241
Forum Member
News channel Russia Today (RT) has gone widescreen on Freeview.

Does this now mean that from today all channels on Freeview offer programmes in widescreen? I'm guessing so, but can't remember if "Marketplace" on 50 is 16:9.

Comments

• David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    News channel Russia Today (RT) has gone widescreen on Freeview.

Does this now mean that from today all channels on Freeview offer programmes in widescreen? I'm guessing so, but can't remember if "Marketplace" on 50 is 16:9.
    it could be down to the channel going HD on sky today. but it would be good if all channels where widescreen as most of todays TV sets are widescreen . i think 4/3 should be left in the past as widescreen is much better
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    it could be down to the channel going HD on sky today. but it would be good if all channels where widescreen as most of todays TV set are widescreen . i think 4/3 should be left in the past.

It is down to the launch of HD channel this morning.

Interesting that on Freeview, all references of the channel being "RT" are replaced by "Russia Today". On the EPG, wherever it says something like "RT Documentary" on satellite, the Freeview EPG says "Russia Today Documentary" and where there is a reference to the RT.com website, the Freeview EPG refers to the old Russiatoday.ru site.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member

It's a pity that they haven't gone good, professional journalism as well.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a pity that they haven't gone good, professional journalism as well.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the channel?
  • Peter HendersonPeter Henderson Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the channel?

I've a friend who swears by the Keiser report !
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Shame, the only good thing about the channel was it was useful for checking the widescreen setting. :D
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..... well you can wait until Sunday lunchtime on the BBC Parliament feed ....
    SD from the USA ...
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..... well you can wait until Sunday lunchtime on the BBC Parliament feed ....
    SD from the USA ...

Does BBC Parly aspect ratio switch, I didn't think it did, the vintage BBC Election shows on there have always been 16P12 ?
  • AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Does BBC Parly aspect ratio switch, I didn't think it did, the vintage BBC Election shows on there have always been 16P12 ?

No usually always 4:3 within 16:9.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AxG wrote: »
    No usually always 4:3 within 16:9.

Sorry, I meant 12P16 !

14L12 14:9 Letterbox in 4:3 frame
    16L12 16:9 Letterbox in 4:3 frame
    16F16 Full frame 16:9
    12F12 Full Frame 4:3
  • MartinteaMartintea Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    RT can go HD and 3D for all I care,I still won`t watch it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Sad to see that most of you are government sheep :-(

RT is the best, unbiased and informative news channel in the world. If you want to hear the news stories that BBC, CNN, FOX etc refuse to show, you need to watch RT.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RT is as unbiased as all the other news channels. IE: They're NOT!
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I have a question. How come RT is on Freeview anyway? I always thought that only UK based channels that have national license can get on Freeview.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've a friend who swears by the Keiser report !

The keiser report is ace....
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    I have a question. How come RT is on Freeview anyway? I always thought that only UK based channels that have national license can get on Freeview.

The licence holder needs to be in the UK - but all this means is they have to set up a UK subsidiary - and seeing as they have a London news room they'll have one of those.

Many of the commercial TV channels in Scandinavia are licenced in the UK, even though people here can't subscribe to them!
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    kev wrote: »
    The licence holder needs to be in the UK - but all this means is they have to set up a UK subsidiary - and seeing as they have a London news room they'll have one of those.

Many of the commercial TV channels in Scandinavia are licenced in the UK, even though people here can't subscribe to them!

They only need to be licensed in the EU, some of the "babe on a sofa" channels are licensed in the Netherlands and still broadcast here terrestrially.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The satellite licence was transferred last May http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/tv-broadcast-licences/updates/052012

Despite that Info TV continue to manage the UK satellite distribution of Russia Today.
    Forum Member
    The satellite licence was transferred last May http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/tv-broadcast-licences/updates/052012

Despite that Info TV continue to manage the UK satellite distribution of Russia Today.

Would be nice to see the Freeview EPG changing "Russia Today" to "RT" like on satellite. Seems silly to go under two different brands.
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Be nicer still if the satellite EPG changed to "Russia Today" like on Freeview. The letters "RT" are pretty meaningless, well it could be Radio Times, real tripe, rough trash, get my meaning.
    On-screen the channel is branded "RT" across the board, so it's Freeview that's wrong. The Russia Today name was ditched by the channel a few years back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On-screen the channel is branded "RT" across the board, so it's Freeview that's wrong. The Russia Today name was ditched by the channel a few years back.

It's probably because Information TV continued to refer to it as Russia Today.
  • ACL777ACL777 Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RT is great. Some very interesting magazine programmes. Although I agree you cant call it unbiased. It offers a good alternative view of the world though whether its in widescreen or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly changed to fall in line with the Ofcom rule that the licensee should have editorial control over the broadcasts.