Diana's funeral

Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
Forum Member
Sorting out though some VHS the other day of someone who is moving out and to cut lLong story short lots of VHS pre recorded,
And among 100s of others was Diana's funeral in full on its
is this worth anything nowadays??

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't think so, it's all on YouTube, as is pretty much, "everything."

Anyone interested could download it, though as it's always available, hardly worth the effort.
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    A collector would be more interested in the 100s of other tapes, which could hold some rare recordings.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean Diana is dead ?

Oooh, must have missed that.
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    You mean Diana is dead ?

Well they bloody well kept that quiet.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    grauniad wrote: »
    I am going to complain to the Daily Express that they've neglected to mention this. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »

After that week of complete and utter madness... I wish they bloody well had. The week the country went bonkers. >:(
  • lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    I am going to complain to the Daily Express that they've neglected to mention this. :mad:

Any idea what the duke of Edinburgh thinks of this shocking news? ;-)
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    You mean Diana is dead ?

Digressing..

That reminds me, a decade or so ago, doctor's and dentist's waiting rooms would often have some rather ancient (sometimes several years old) well thumbed magazines available for patients to read whilst they waited. Doesn't happen in any I've been in lately.

I would occasionally embarrass my wife, by picking one up, turning a few pages appear to be reading it and then announcing;" Ooo! Isn't it terrible about that Titanic!"
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never looked for the funeral on You Tube, but it will be up there. I know that Elton John singing Candle in the Wind is on You Tube
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    I've never looked for the funeral on You Tube, but it will be up there. I know that Elton John singing Candle in the Wind is on You Tube

When it became known that Elton was going to sing a re-worked version of Candle in the Wind at the funeral the BBC instructed all its radio stations that they must not play the original again until after the funeral.

Although the BBC made a contrubtion to Elton's AIDS charity for repeat rights to the sequence ITV did not and have never been able to show the clip again.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My abiding memory of the funeral was the moment a woman wailed "DIAAAAAANNNNNAAAAAA!" as the princes walked past that section of the silent crowd on the way to the cathedral. :o

Oh, and Elton singing those cringeworthy changed lyrics to Candle In The Wind! :o
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The music at the end - John Taverner's Song for Athene - as the coffin was carried from the abbey was divine.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does the Diana version of Candle In The Wind ever get airplay these days?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    My abiding memory of the funeral was the moment a woman wailed "DIAAAAAANNNNNAAAAAA!" as the princes walked past that section of the silent crowd on the way to the cathedral. :o

Oh, and Elton singing those cringeworthy changed lyrics to Candle In The Wind! :o

My abiding memory..... not that I watched it but saw this snippet on the news was a fat bloke with no shirt on, with his gut hanging over the top of his shorts and a baseball cap standing by the side of a road. Dumbed down Britain at it's finest.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diana was a young woman cut down in her prime so felt strongly that I wanted to be there when she was laid to rest. I have never had reason to regret that I was there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    Diana was a young woman cut down in her prime so felt strongly that I wanted to be there when she was laid to rest. I have never had reason to regret that I was there.

Do you got to the funerals of other young people who you don't know that are cut down in their prime? Just wondering.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you got to the funerals of other young people who you don't know that are cut down in their prime? Just wondering.

Whatever gave you the idea showing repect requires someone to know anyone personally?
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You didn't have to know her, that was the thing though. People felt a connection with her, and that was why the event had such a massive impact. Granted, it was illusory, but it was none the less potent for all that. Looking back, it does seem absurd, and it is tempting to mock those who were affected, but it wasn't just a few people, it was hundreds of thousands, probably millions. That's the power of celebrity and media for you. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    Whatever gave you the idea showing repect requires someone to know anyone personally?

Just some old fashioned idea of mine. I have never been one for jumping on bandwagons..... and this particular bandwagon was so overcrowded it was ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    You didn't have to know her, that was the thing though. People felt a connection with her, and that was why the event had such a massive impact. Granted, it was illusory, but it was none the less potent for all that. Looking back, it does seem absurd, and it is tempting to mock those who were affected, but it wasn't just a few people, it was hundreds of thousands, probably millions. That's the power of celebrity and media for you. :)

I felt no connection with her whatsoever...... only sadness that 2 boys were left motherless. To me it was a week when the country went round the twist. Mass hysteria was more the reason IMO of course.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    My abiding memory..... not that I watched it but saw this snippet on the news was a fat bloke with no shirt on, with his gut hanging over the top of his shorts and a baseball cap standing by the side of a road. Dumbed down Britain at it's finest.

Anyone got an irony smiley?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

Perhaps on the anniversary, it is the biggest-selling single of all time with 33 million copies sold worldwide including nearly 5 million in the UK, the only record ever to go Diamond.There are several different edits of him performing at the funeral available on Youtube.
  • elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

I don't think so. The whole carry on was very much of its time, we've isolated it all because a large proportion of the nation went absolutely nuts, and I think looking back we find it all a bit OTT and mawkish, so we don't really remind ourselves of it.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Funnily enough, the same thought went through my mind. It's like the people who say "my thoughts are with their family" when someone dies - just as long as they're famous enough. The 1300-odd unknowns who die every day never have anyone on DS thinking about their families.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Sorting out though some VHS the other day of someone who is moving out and to cut lLong story short lots of VHS pre recorded,
    And among 100s of others was Diana's funeral in full on its
    is this worth anything nowadays??

If you've got a VHS tape of Prince Philip driving a white Fiat Uno and toting a sniper's rifle, that might be worth something! ;-)