Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    We see that as soon as LG told DM that she was not going to let her son cry it out on his own, that he needed a cuddle, DM seemed to immediately give up the idea of babies being put in another room and ignored when crying, which is what his parents had done to him.

That's in the first episode. We see DM right after that being a much more engaged father, so I think her initial dismissal of the baby crying it out on his own, immediately gave DM some things to think about. If the baby was going to be cuddled instead, then perhaps he as the father could do some of the cuddling, caring, etc himself, driving the child onto the moor in the middle of the night, etc.

Let's also realize that it made financial sense for DM to be a London Head of Vascular Department, make a huge amount of money, enabling LG to have a year or two off to raise their son, with them living an easy life, and such. Many women would welcome that. I'm sure we all know women who are content not working and raising kids. It's not that unreasonable a thought.

LG, however, has spent her life gaining a sense of self through her work, as DM has through his. That she is resistant to adapting her sense of self to solely being a mother is understandable to the modern ear. But, neither DM or LG is really wrong in their thoughts, per se. Many women happily give up careers for child-raising, especially when the husband is a good provider. Other women wish to maintain their careers. There is not a right or wrong way to do it and I can definitely see and agree with both DM and LG's mindsets.

The issue is not who should work and who should not, not modern vs. traditional home life. This issue of course is that they could not just sit down and discuss this topic like healthy human beings; the recurrent and endless problem here in our favorite little show.

Absolutely, Mona. I, for one, would have welcomed the chance to take a couple of years off from work after I had a baby. Those years of being pulled back and forth between job and baby were tough and exhausting. But I'm not Louisa, or anything like her.

I agree with you that DM started letting go of some of his old, rigid ideas of child-rearing almost right from the start when LG comforted the crying baby on the first night. He even told AR a few eps later when she told him that his father believed a crying child should be left alone that "thinking has changed." Dual meaning there. Generally thinking has changed, but here HIS thinking has changed.

So the "you could learn" business continues throughout S5. It took until the end of the series, however, before he could let go of all of the old traditional thinking.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I can't believe I found it! The birthpub exterior. It's actually a holiday cottage (practically in the middle of nowhere). That hill is Rough Tor (Brown Willy is next to it). Take Roughtor Road out of Camelford toward Rough Tor itself. Pass Roughtor Farm, then right on no name (apparently) road leading to Watergate. In between Roughtor Rd and Watergate is another no-name road to the left. At the end of the road, there it is! It's Poldue Cottage, in a little group of buildings. Photos and map are at this website:

http://www.classic.co.uk/holiday-cottage/desc-2365.html

On google maps (hope this link works -- if it does, Poldue Cottage & little group of buildings should be right in the middle):
    http://goo.gl/maps/HHQw9

OMG Biff! You are a star! Just looked a the cottage site and there it is. Off to check the Google map...... However did you find it?
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    OMG Biff! You are a star! Just looked a the cottage site and there it is. Off to check the Google map...... However did you find it?

Found it on Google maps. Interesting that it is right next to the spot where they were having the dog and pony show where we saw the picture of the limo. If you look for it on the Bing Maps aerial view, the closeup is sharper than the Google Maps one and you can see the parking pad where the ambulance parked. Unfortunately, Google street view doesn't go anywhere near the place - very narrow unpaved road before you even get to the drive for the cottage. Thanks so much Biff!

Now, if someone could just find that damn hotel where the BT tried to seduce our boy. It's in Cornwall someplace and I have looked at every decently large hotel I can find - it has to be somewhat large because of that staircase and the lobby areas. It also has a wooden revolving door at the entrance. I spent another hour or so last week looking for it to no avail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Great post, mazzieblue. I agree totally. I think maybe that underlies why he feels "defeated..." he feels that he's proven over the last few weeks what he feared at their wedding, that he could not make her happy, even though he thought he had tried his best. (we know though that his best was yet to come.) .So he's resigned to letting her go. Your post really pulls it all together.

Yes, "resigned" explains him ignoring some of LGs reapproachments. Although that could be just DMs general denseness when it comes to reading people! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »

Just googled something like "jagged hill near Camelford Cornwall", I think, and found that Rough Tor and Brown Willy are "twin peaks" and there are a lot of walking trails and nature lovers, etc. around the area. I tried driving streetview down Roughtor Rd and then down some other road, but everything pretty much ends before you get to Rough Tor itself (well, streetview ends) and I didn't see anything that looked right.

So then I had a "duh" moment and googled "cottages near Rough Tor in Cornwall" and Poldue was one of several that popped up on the first page of search results. Amazingly easy once my brain said "duh". I just looked at the Bing aerial view. Yes, you're right. Much clearer.

And here's another photo of it from someone's blog. This is similar to the first view we see of the "pub" as the Lexus pulls in. Scroll about a fourth of the way down to "13/07/2012 For the Love of Cornwall" and thar she blows.

http://piecesofwonderful.blogspot.com/2012_07_01_archive.html

Plus there's another photo of the cottage (closer up, and you can really see the beautiful scenery in the background) if you click on more photos "here" at the end of the Cornwall section of the blog.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »

Yes but even if DM is right about boarding school they don't have to go until high school. MC said his daughter would never got to boarding school but in the end they did send her and they were happy the school.

In the real world there are several ancient grammar schools in Truro to which JH would probably gain a place at 11 years old, coming, as he will, from the excellent school at PortWenn.

He would probably be a day pupil or weekly boarder at first, maybe moving onto boarding for longer spells as his studies required.

I suspect this may be what has happened to Emily Clunes.

Just guessing though; I am not party to any inside information

;)
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so excited! I have been able to do a bit of sleuthing at home. Hopefully I can be more productive there :p

Does anyone recommend any places to visit in Cornwall too? I have never been on my own - I was wondering if anyone recommends places to visit. As I am completely husband and child free I won't know what to do with myself :eek:

leanne, from my trip there last year, I can recommend:
    1. Tintagel--the town, old post office, Camelot Castle hotel of course, and King Arthur's castle ruins. Could spend the better part of a day easily there. (12 mi. from Port Isaac)
    2. The Eden Project--near St. Austell (and Charleston harbor). It's the big biosphere thing with one for a tropical rainforest and another for Mediterranean climate. Plants, gardening, sculpture, good food, and lots to see in the spheres and out. An amazing place. (22 mi. from PI)
    3. Lots of Gardens all over, brochures galore everywhere once you get there.
    4. Truro Cathedral--very surprised by it, but lovely. (32 mi.)
    5. Boscastle--lovely little place just to wander around on foot; has the witchcraft museum. (13.4 mi -- just beyond Tintagel)

We just did a lot of driving along the coast from Dorset into Devon and all along Cornwall and into and out of little coastal towns. They all had their own charm for us. But none to compare to Port Isaac, of course!:)

Oh, and check the blog pix in the recent post above about the Rough Tor. They have a nice bit of the flavor of places I mentioned as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the real world there are several ancient grammar schools in Truro to which JH would probably gain a place at 11 years old, coming, as he will, from the excellent school at PortWenn.

He would probably be a day pupil or weekly boarder at first, maybe moving onto boarding for longer spells as his studies required.

I suspect this may be what has happened to Emily Clunes.

Just guessing though; I am not party to any inside information

;)

I don't think I've ever seen that Emily boards at school, except in one article where Martin mentions that it is a treat for her to stay overnight there if they have to be away. He had always talked about them being on the school run. But then I haven't heard the subject of her and school mentioned for the last couple years.
    Does anyone have recent information about this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just googled something like "jagged hill near Camelford Cornwall", I think, and found that Rough Tor and Brown Willy are "twin peaks" and there are a lot of walking trails and nature lovers, etc. around the area. I tried driving streetview down Roughtor Rd and then down some other road, but everything pretty much ends before you get to Rough Tor itself (well, streetview ends) and I didn't see anything that looked right.

So then I had a "duh" moment and googled "cottages near Rough Tor in Cornwall" and Poldue was one of several that popped up on the first page of search results. Amazingly easy once my brain said "duh". I just looked at the Bing aerial view. Yes, you're right. Much clearer.

And here's another photo of it from someone's blog. This is similar to the first view we see of the "pub" as the Lexus pulls in. Scroll about a fourth of the way down to "13/07/2012 For the Love of Cornwall" and thar she blows.

Plus there's another photo of the cottage (closer up, and you can really see the beautiful scenery in the background) if you click on more photos "here" at the end of the Cornwall section of the blog.

Great job, Biff!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, NewPark. I remember the first time I heard my mother's voice and words coming out of my mouth. :eek: Freaked me out.

I guess it took a while, and a lot of evidence, for DM to get that motivation to change.
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    We see that as soon as LG told DM that she was not going to let her son cry it out on his own, that he needed a cuddle, DM seemed to immediately give up the idea of babies being put in another room and ignored when crying, which is what his parents had done to him.

That's in the first episode. We see DM right after that being a much more engaged father, so I think her initial dismissal of the baby crying it out on his own, immediately gave DM some things to think about.

The issue is not who should work and who should not, not modern vs. traditional home life. This issue of course is that they could not just sit down and discuss this topic like healthy human beings; the recurrent and endless problem here in our favorite little show.

Yes thanks you both, ans NewPark, make it clearer. He needed the time to work it out for himself. I still find myself being my mother with my children (grown up now) and have to pull myself up! The things we learn especially from our parents are firmly ingrained!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think I've ever seen that Emily boards at school, except in one article where Martin mentions that it is a treat for her to stay overnight there if they have to be away. He had always talked about them being on the school run. But then I haven't heard the subject of her and school mentioned for the last couple years.

Yes she was/is a weekly boarder which means she can come home on weekends. You can't pick and choose boarding for a few weeks of the year - you have to do it for a term ninimum depending on places svailable and generally for a whole year - (in Australia anyway, might be different in the UK) - but at most boarding schools you can board one year and day school the next. MC had to board her when both his and PBs schedules were insane. Can't remember the article but remember because we boarded our kids for a while which seemed to involve the same angst with us as with them! :cool:
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As a general rule she doesn't board based on what MC has mentioned in interviews. He indicated that it was a possibility if needed, now and again, and Emily was happy to do it. If you don't have to do it all of the time if probably seems like fun. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

As a general rule she doesn't board based on what MC has mentioned in interviews. He indicated that it was a possibility if needed, now and again, and Emily was happy to do it. If you don't have to do it all of the time if probably seems like fun. :)

Thanks for the response, Connie, and ....
    I just found from the Dec. 7, 2012 Daily Mail online:
    "I don’t have time to get bored,’ he says. ‘Being a farmer is extremely hard work. My day starts with the school run, then one of the dogs has a bad elbow so he is on lead walk for half an hour every morning."

Of course, I imagine the school run became Philippa's job with the driving ban.;)

On another note: the quoting thing is all messed up again. Will it straighten itself out eventually?
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My experience is that it will not sort itself out. It seems to happen when a parenthesis after the word QUOTE, is accidentally deleted, as when one is snipping parts of a comment made by someone else.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

Thanks for the response, Connie, and ....
    I just found from the Dec. 7, 2012 Daily Mail online:
    "I don’t have time to get bored,’ he says. ‘Being a farmer is extremely hard work. My day starts with the school run, then one of the dogs has a bad elbow so he is on lead walk for half an hour every morning."

Of course, I imagine the school run became Philippa's job with the driving ban.;)

On another note: the quoting thing is all messed up again. Will it straighten itself out eventually?

In one interview he mentioned driving her to school in their 'unpopular' huge Land Cruiser. Unpopular because it's a gas hog. He said he drove that because it was the only one of their vehicles that he could drive across their property as a short cut. He said it saved him a lot of time to the school vs. the roads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leanne, from my trip there last year, I can recommend:
    1. Tintagel--the town, old post office, Camelot Castle hotel of course, and King Arthur's castle ruins. Could spend the better part of a day easily there. (12 mi. from Port Isaac)
    2. The Eden Project--near St. Austell (and Charleston harbor). It's the big biosphere thing with one for a tropical rainforest and another for Mediterranean climate. Plants, gardening, sculpture, good food, and lots to see in the spheres and out. An amazing place. (22 mi. from PI)
    3. Lots of Gardens all over, brochures galore everywhere once you get there.
    4. Truro Cathedral--very surprised by it, but lovely. (32 mi.)
    5. Boscastle--lovely little place just to wander around on foot; has the witchcraft museum. (13.4 mi -- just beyond Tintagel)

We just did a lot of driving along the coast from Dorset into Devon and all along Cornwall and into and out of little coastal towns. They all had their own charm for us. But none to compare to Port Isaac, of course!:)

Oh, and check the blog pix in the recent post above about the Rough Tor. They have a nice bit of the flavor of places I mentioned as well.

Leanne, Susie's right. When you get to the end of the Cornwall section of that blog, click where it says, "If you feel the uncontrollable urge to see more photos, you can do so here". There's more there than the birthpub. This blogger is an excellent photographer. When you see the thumbnail gallery (starting with another view of the birthpub), click on the first photo and use the arrows to go through all of the Cornwall photos. Absolutely breathtaking! Go to all of these places!

I should re-post the link:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know which members of the past or present DM cast/ (and writers) are friends offscreen?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know which members of the past or present DM cast/ (and writers) are friends offscreen?

Julie Graham & John Marquez are friends off screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    John Marquez and Caroline Catz husband seem to be good friends. They are always together as families on the Platt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I'm new on here. I read but have never posted before. I have a house (holiday home) in PI so spend most of the school holidays in the village with my children and husband. I am lucky enough to have made good friends with a few of the cast and crew over the years. I have never trusted myself to post before incase I put my foot in it and reveal something I shouldn't !!!. We will be back in PI next Friday for the week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm new on here. I read but have never posted before. I have a house (holiday home) in PI so spend most of the school holidays in the village with my children and husband. I am lucky enough to have made good friends with a few of the cast and crew over the years. I have never trusted myself to post before incase I put my foot in it and reveal something I shouldn't !!!. We will be back in PI next Friday for the week.

You're so fortunate to have a holiday home in such a beautiful location. And, of course, us rabid Doc Martin fans are thinking that you're lucky in another way too! Have you seen any of the S6 filming yet?

If you see or hear any spoiler-type stuff, you can post it here and then highlight the spoiler text and click on the very faint little "S" at the upper right of this text box. That hides the text from anyone who doesn't want to see spoilers. Here's an example:
    But I DO want to read spoilers! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found another rabid and Bodmin DM fan at work. He and his wife love it! More chances for chats by the coffee pot and at lunch!!!

Rob
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Julie Graham & John Marquez are friends off screen.
    John Marquez and Caroline Catz husband seem to be good friends. They are always together as families on the Platt

John Marquez must be pretty sociable. I wonder if the manny is also a personal friend of his -- maybe even got the role through an endorsement from John. I want to be John's friend too...:o:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by mmDerdekea View Post

That's in the first episode. We see DM right after that being a much more engaged father, so I think her initial dismissal of the baby crying it out on his own, immediately gave DM some things to think about. If the baby was going to be cuddled instead, then perhaps he as the father could do some of the cuddling, caring, etc himself, driving the child onto the moor in the middle of the night, etc.

Let's also realize that it made financial sense for DM to be a London Head of Vascular Department, make a huge amount of money, enabling LG to have a year or two off to raise their son, with them living an easy life, and such. Many women would welcome that. I'm sure we all know women who are content not working and raising kids. It's not that unreasonable a thought.

LG, however, has spent her life gaining a sense of self through her work, as DM has through his. That she is resistant to adapting her sense of self to solely being a mother is understandable to the modern ear. But, neither DM or LG is really wrong in their thoughts, per se. Many women happily give up careers for child-raising, especially when the husband is a good provider. Other women wish to maintain their careers. There is not a right or wrong way to do it and I can definitely see and agree with both DM and LG's mindsets.

Absolutely, Mona. I, for one, would have welcomed the chance to take a couple of years off from work after I had a baby. Those years of being pulled back and forth between job and baby were tough and exhausting. But I'm not Louisa, or anything like her.

I agree with you that DM started letting go of some of his old, rigid ideas of child-rearing almost right from the start when LG comforted the crying baby on the first night. He even told AR a few eps later when she told him that his father believed a crying child should be left alone that "thinking has changed." Dual meaning there. Generally thinking has changed, but here HIS thinking has changed.

So the "you could learn" business continues throughout S5. It took until the end of the series, however, before he could let go of all of the old traditional thinking.

You two are so right on with my thinking as well. Thanks for stating it so well.
This discussion has been closed.