How do I change browser?

kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
Forum Member
✭✭
Sorry this is probably a really basic question for most - if not all - of you, but please will someone explain how I switch browsers?

I'm currently using Firefox but really really fed up with it as every time I switch on my laptop it decides to start doing an update, after which I cannot connect to any internet site, and have to do a system restore before I can use it again.

Reading another thread, I gather Chrome is a good alternative?

Comments

• PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You download and install the browser you want, then you use it, Same as any other software.

Chrome is pretty good (IMO).

http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chrome/browser/

Just hit the download button
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there are lots of alternatives, try lots & see which you like --- they'll import bookmarks & other settings as part of the install

is the update actually for firefox or something like adobe flash player? which firefox version are you using?

install a few & run them side by side
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simple go to

Click the Download button then once the installer is on your hard drive locate it and double click on it to start it running. Then just follow the prompts and click buttons as necessary and then it will appear as an icon on your desktop just like Firefox.

You must have done something very similar to install Firefox so if you managed that Chrome shouldn't be a problem :)
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Simple go to

Click the Download button then once the installer is on your hard drive locate it and double click on it to start it running. Then just follow the prompts and click buttons as necessary and then it will appear as an icon on your desktop just like Firefox.

You must have done something very similar to install Firefox so if you managed that Chrome shouldn't be a problem :)

Firefox came already installed when I bought laptop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you, everyone, for your explanations, which are just what I needed. [Also, thanks for NOT pointing out the obvious - that I'm a complete internet dummy!]
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    kaycee wrote: »
    I'm currently using Firefox but really really fed up with it as every time I switch on my laptop it decides to start doing an update, after which I cannot connect to any internet site, and have to do a system restore before I can use it again.
    That sounds like strange behaviour. Are you saying Firefox starts automatically with Windows and then updates itself? If that's so, then installing a new browser won't solve the problem, you'll need to stop Firefox launching with Windows. Or is it something else that's trying to update and is launching Firefox because it's your default browser? What operating system are you using?
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might be able to mend Firefox as follows:

Download the latest version of Firefox from http://mozilla.org/firefox, saving the file somewhere convenient on your hard disc.

Then in Control Panel , uninstall the old version of Firefox.

Then run the downloaded file to install the new version of Firefox.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds like strange behaviour. Are you saying Firefox starts automatically with Windows and then updates itself? If that's so, then installing a new browser won't solve the problem, you'll need to stop Firefox launching with Windows. Or is it something else that's trying to update and is launching Firefox because it's your default browser? What operating system are you using?

I'm using Vista Home Premium. When I switch laptop on, it comes up with a message "wait while Firefox is installing updates" ....
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Chrome is unbelievably slow too. You can always turn of automatic updates in Firefox.

If no Firefox button is shown, click the Tools menu at the top of the menu bar, then select Options.
    From the Options window, click the Advanced panel.
    In the Advanced panel, click the Update tab.
    Under Firefox updates, select Never check for updates.
    Now click the OK button to apply the changes.

Turning auto-update off is not recommended due to security reasons though. I'd recommend you to try all the major browsers (Safari, Chrome, Opera, IE), and see which one works best for you, and then keep it as your default browser.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Chrome is unbelievably slow too. You can always turn of automatic updates in Firefox.

Turning auto-update off is not recommended due to security reasons though. I'd recommend you to try all the major browsers (Safari, Chrome, Opera, IE), and see which one works best for you, and then keep it as your default browser.

I have turned off automatic updates but it made no difference; firefox still automatically updates.

I wouldn't mind it updating, except that when it does, nothing else (internet) works as it just tells me it is unable to connect to whatever site (email, etc.)

Will give one of the others a go, and see if that is better.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    I'm using Vista Home Premium. When I switch laptop on, it comes up with a message "wait while Firefox is installing updates" ....
    thats something that should vanish if you download latest version of firefox, version 21, and install it over the top .... if that doesn't help then whatever is causing that message might be nothing to do with firefox .... all browsers have the occasional hiccup & if firefox annoys (typically once a year) I just completely wipe it & reinstall ... having first saved all settings of course

have tried chrome but found it no better as speed goes & fewer options to customise ... so stick with firefox as main browser .... I do have 10 or so others to play with