What counts as 'off-peak'? (cross country trains..)

superboysuperboy Posts: 4,187
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Need to travel on a monday but i have an off peak ticket, is off peak after 9.30 or after 9? (or something else?)

Comments

• DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    after 930 i think
  • CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    superboy wrote: »
    Need to travel on a monday but i have an off peak ticket, is off peak after 9.30 or after 9? (or something else?)

From the Cross Country Trains (as mentioned in the title to the thread) website at:

http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/Ticket_options/Fares/Off-peak.aspx

I found out that "You can buy Off-Peak tickets anytime before you travel. The travel restrictions for your Off-Peak ticket will depend on the journey you are making and will be advised when you buy your ticket."

So, no-one here, it seems, on the information provided, will be able to give you a definitive answer to your question. I suggest that you contact Cross Country Trains.
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on the journey being made. Specify where from and to?
  • brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    It depends on the journey being made. Specify where from and to?

It is a nightmare - a minefield of restriction codes.

'Off peak' is what used to be a 'cheap day' ticket.

If it's a return ticket there can be restrictions on each half of the ticket i.e. not before 9am and not between 5-6:30pm.

Where I live I buy split tickets if I start before 9am so I can get the bulk of my journey on an off peak and use a railcard.

My first station is peak before 9am, the second is peak before 8:50am but is where my up train departs from at 8:53am so I have to pay £4 to go less than 3 miles on an empty (peak) train to get on a packed (off peak) train - the railways are mad.

Also if you live in an area served by several operating companies -THEY ALL HAVE THEIR OWN RULES.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    after 930 i think

Can be any figure they pluck out of the hat - remember though that there is a start to the peak period - it doesn't run from midnight, could be 8am.

A way to discover 'some' restrictions is to use the National rail journey planner here

When you get to 'check fares' only the allowable tickets for the time of day are show.

There are many rail planners but they run on the same engine this is the XC one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brillopad wrote: »
    Can be any figure they pluck out of the hat - remember though that there is a start to the peak period - it doesn't run from midnight, could be 8am.

Ive never encountered that. All morning peak restrictions Ive seen start at start of service.

Restrictions are fixed so im not sure what you mean by 'pluck out of the hat'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cruachan wrote: »
    From the Cross Country Trains (as mentioned in the title to the thread) website at:

http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/Ticket_options/Fares/Off-peak.aspx

I found out that "You can buy Off-Peak tickets anytime before you travel.

You can but not 5 minutes before the train leaves - the system won't issue it.

One way of getting the validity codes for ticket is to obtain the Avantix Traveller CD or the National fares manual which 'incredibly' Amazon sell
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It used to cost me £45 for a return from where I am to my parents. And that was the cheapest you could get, in advance or on the day as you had to change 3 times and use 3 different train companies.

Anyway, just before Christmas London midland started doing these off peak and super off peak tickets. If I get the right trains (I also have to go to a neighbouring town but it is only an extra 10 minute journey to pick me up from there) I can get a super off peak return for £15. bargain!

Anyway, check the journey planners on the nationalrail website, that will tell you when you can use your off peak ticket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    It used to cost me £45 for a return from where I am to my parents....
    London midland started doing these off peak and super off peak tickets. .... I can get a super off peak return for £15. bargain!

Where from and to? (If you dont mind me asking)

Please dont say London to Birmingham :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It used to be Liverpool to Kettering (my parents don't live in Kettering, but near by) that cost me £45. It was 2 changes (Leicester and then one other, normally Nuneaton depending on the time of the day), not 3, but 3 different train companies.

Liverpool to Northampton, Super off peak cost me £15 return. And I only have to change once in Stafford.
  • HAZYWOMANHAZYWOMAN Posts: 4,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    superboy wrote: »
    go after 10, just in case there is a "jobsworth" on board:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Restrictions are fixed so im not sure what you mean by 'pluck out of the hat'

Not here they aren't - I start on a peak train, at 8:53 I'm off peak but at 9am I'm back in a peak zone, out of a peak zone only to be back in one again - the 'gripper' could excess or penalty me as I've bought two tickets one of which is 'off peak' and I used to board the 8:53 which is only off peak for 7 minutes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not here they aren't - I start on a peak train, at 8:53 I'm off peak but at 9am I'm back in a peak zone, out of a peak zone only to be back in one again - the 'gripper' could excess or penalty me as I've bought two tickets one of which is 'off peak' and I used to board the 8:53 which is only off peak for 7 minutes.

??? That doesn't make any sence. The restriction is based on the ticket you buy.

e.g

Station A -C. Off peak is valid from 8:50
    Station B- C. Off peak is valid from 9.00

Train Gets to A at 8:53. B at 8:56. C at 8:59.

If you buy a off peak ticket from A -C your ticket is valid from 8.50 onwards. Regardless of any intermediate stations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Liverpool to Northampton, Super off peak cost me £15 return. And I only have to change once in Stafford.

And how is the service?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how is the service?

Completely fine. I can always get a seat even if I haven't booked one. On my old route 9 times out of 10 I would have to stand between Leicester and Nuneaton as they always used a tiny 2 car train. More people than seats got on at leicester alone, plus you already had half a train full of people when it pulled into the station. It was near on impossible to get a seat on that train.

So far it has always been on time too and when I change at Stafford the next train goes from the same platform that I came in on so there is no racing across the station to get the connection.

Having to go in off peak times is not a problem for me and is well worth the savings. If I want to go home for the weekend, rather than going Friday evening which would be full price, I go Saturday morning. Train leaves Liverpool at about 6:30 am and gets in to Northampton at about 9:30am. So even though I have had to get up early I still get a full day at home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely fine. I can always get a seat even if I haven't booked one. On my old route 9 times out of 10 I would have to stand between Leicester and Nuneaton as they always used a tiny 2 car train. More people than seats got on at leicester alone, plus you already had half a train full of people when it pulled into the station. It was near on impossible to get a seat on that train.

So far it has always been on time too and when I change at Stafford the next train goes from the same platform that I came in on so there is no racing across the station to get the connection.

Glad to hear it :)
  • robtuk06robtuk06 Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HAZYWOMAN wrote: »
    go after 10, just in case there is a "jobsworth" on board:cool:

Pretty stupid advice* considering you don't know when the ticket is valid.

* Checks. Yes, this is the advice forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ??? That doesn't make any sence. The restriction is based on the ticket you buy.

e.g

Station A -C. Off peak is valid from 8:50
    Station B- C. Off peak is valid from 9.00

Train Gets to A at 8:53. B at 8:56. C at 8:59.

If you buy a off peak ticket from A -C your ticket is valid from 8.50 onwards. Regardless of any intermediate stations.

Nope - doesn't work like that - you can't travel though a restricted area with an 'off peak' despite boarding at an 'off peak' - especially across London unless you have an 'anytime' ticket...or if the grippers are prepared to ignore obviously silly validity codes.

If you get excessed for anything like this it's (if you feel like it) better to try and get penalty fared as you can then appeal it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope - doesn't work like that - you can't travel though a restricted area with an 'off peak' despite boarding at an 'off peak'

Unless it specifically states it in the validity code then yes it does work like that. What actualy type of ticket are we talking about here CDS/CDR/SVS/SVR? Or some kind of travel card?

Who has said your not allowed to cross a 'peak zone' (Which makes no sence btw) :confused:
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope - doesn't work like that - you can't travel though a restricted area with an 'off peak' despite boarding at an 'off peak' - especially across London unless you have an 'anytime' ticket...or if the grippers are prepared to ignore obviously silly validity codes.

If you get excessed for anything like this it's (if you feel like it) better to try and get penalty fared as you can then appeal it.

Yes you can. The stations you travel through is irrelevant (unless it specifically says on the ticket "Not via X" or specifies the exact route. If it's a general ticket you can go whatever the hell way you like at whatever time your ticket and station says is appropriate.

To go back to your mention of London, that's particularly evident on the Underground. There are multiple routes you can take where you want to go from zone 1 to 2 but you change over at a station in zone 3... you still only get charged for zone 1 (your departure station) and zone 2 (your arrival station). Everything in between is completely irrelevant. Unless you actually exit at one of those 'in between' stations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think i have misuderstood you here. Looking back at your post. you say
    My first station is peak before 9am, the second is peak before 8:50am but is where my up train departs from at 8:53am so I have to pay £4 to go less than 3 miles on an empty (peak) train to get on a packed (off peak) train - the railways are mad.

So you get on at A (Peak until 9am) then you... change at B? Or just pass through B? Which is peak until 8.50?

Well.... that means of course you have to buy a peak ticket because the origin peak time is 9am and your traveling before it. B has a more relaxed restriction: the opposite of what you seemed to be saying (crossing a peak 'zone' with op ticket)

Are you saying you buy two separate tickets to take advantage of it being off peak earlier at station B?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think i have misuderstood you here. Looking back at your post. you say

So you get on at A (Peak until 9am) then you... change at B? Or just pass through B? Which is peak until 8.50?

Well.... that means of course you have to buy a peak ticket because the origin peak time is 9am and your traveling before it. B has a more relaxed restriction: the opposite of what you seemed to be saying (crossing a peak 'zone' with op ticket)

Are you saying you buy two separate tickets to take advantage of it being off peak earlier at station B?

Nothing is simple - you have it right up to B - then I pass through a peak zone which in which my CDR is not valid and that continues for several stations - doesn't (in theory) matter where and how I bought my ticket.

Arrive at Plymouth with a 'group save' from FGW First great western and change to a XC Cross country to complete your journey (route valid) and the GS ticket won't be valid - how are you supposed to know this unless you are a geek or have the Avantix CD which which makes you an ultra geek.

Try booking ahead but not collecting your seat reservation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing is simple - you have it right up to B - then I pass through a peak zone which in which my CDR is not valid and that continues for several stations - doesn't (in theory) matter where and how I bought my ticket.

Again unless it specifically states that in the restrictions thats not true. Can you actually give me the names of the stations and ill take a look when im back in the office on Wednesday? Or if you have the CD (since you seem to be in the know ;) ) Whats the restriction code for your ticket?

Arrive at Plymouth with a 'group save' from FGW First great western and change to a XC Cross country to complete your journey (route valid) and the GS ticket won't be valid - how are you supposed to know this unless you are a geek or have the Avantix CD which which makes you an ultra geek.

Not all companies accept group save. Your supposed to know because you buy at a station and get advice. Otherwise - you wouldn't know about group save :)
    Try booking ahead but not collecting your seat reservation.

I have not idea what you mean by this.