Android Users Ignored!

Kyliefan001Kyliefan001 Posts: 200
Forum Member
With the domination of the Android OS you'd think there would be plenty of choices when it comes to accessories (Protective Cases, Docking Stations etc).

Nope! Everything seems to be geared to Apple product, Why????

What Android accessories are available are crap!

Are these accessory companies idiots or are they in bed with Apple?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's pretty obvious why, if you think about it. And nothing to do with being in bed with Apple.
  • thebennyboythebennyboy Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    It's pretty obvious why, if you think about it. And nothing to do with being in bed with Apple.

Either way they are loosing out on potential revenue. Considering Android now has a larger market share than iOS so it not "obvious why" they don't stock more Android accessories. They can still easily target specific handsets like the samsung galaxy s series of smartphones.

EDIT: Some evidence to back myself up. Samsung have a higher market share than Apple which would also make it more worth their while stocking more android accessories.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/03/samsung-apple-market-share-2012-280876/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^

I take your point, and they do target cases etc towards the popular models like the Galaxy series. But even when you talk about Samsung having a high market share, that's across a range of products all with different designs.

As far as cases go: One design for the 3G and 3GS, one for the 4 and 4S, one for the 5. As a manufacturer you've designed hardly any cases and always hit the biggest selling single model.

The case is even more compelling for speaker docks. Until the iPhone 5, the iPhone series retained the same connector and basic shape, not to mention outputting audio through that same connector. As a manufacturer, you could create a single device that was suitable for most iPhones. Not quite so easy with Android. Even now that phones are all micro-USB, they're not in the same place on each model. And you need Bluetooth or a 3.5mm jack for audio.

I'm not trying to run Android down here at all. And there are a good number of cases and accessories available for the top selling models. But I can see why, from a manufacturer's point of view, that it makes far more sense to make stuff for the iPhone.
  • thebennyboythebennyboy Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    ^^^

I take your point, and they do target cases etc towards the popular models like the Galaxy series. But even when you talk about Samsung having a high market share, that's across a range of products all with different designs.

As far as cases go: One design for the 3G and 3GS, one for the 4 and 4S, one for the 5. As a manufacturer you've designed hardly any cases and always hit the biggest selling single model.

The case is even more compelling for speaker docks. Until the iPhone 5, the iPhone series retained the same connector and basic shape, not to mention outputting audio through that same connector. As a manufacturer, you could create a single device that was suitable for most iPhones. Not quite so easy with Android. Even now that phones are all micro-USB, they're not in the same place on each model. And you need Bluetooth or a 3.5mm jack for audio.

I'm not trying to run Android down here at all. And there are a good number of cases and accessories available for the top selling models. But I can see why, from a manufacturer's point of view, that it makes far more sense to make stuff for the iPhone.

I so also take your points about them hesitating to stock more accessories for android phones, i do also agree that the iPhones are generally simpler to make accessories for as the designs of the iPhones generally had minimal changes. I do believe though that they could make a bit more of an attempt. Even if it was only at Samsung's galaxy S series.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the domination of the Android OS you'd think there would be plenty of choices when it comes to accessories (Protective Cases, Docking Stations etc).

Very little is lighting support for the new IOS products though. I've seen quite a few docks for Android now.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Either way they are loosing out on potential revenue. Considering Android now has a larger market share than iOS so it not "obvious why" they don't stock more Android accessories. They can still easily target specific handsets like the samsung galaxy s series of smartphones.

EDIT: Some evidence to back myself up. Samsung have a higher market share than Apple which would also make it more worth their while stocking more android accessories.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/03/samsung-apple-market-share-2012-280876/

Samsung have a higher share but Apple have more of the same handsets out – which is why a company tends to choose Apple more.

I know last time I was looking in a shop for cases there were a lot more now available for the S3 so it’s getting there but the sheer amount of other Android models does make it difficult for manufactuers.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much worse than patchy accessory support is the fact that Android continues to be treated as a second-class OS by a lot of app developers.
    The likes of the BBC are particularly poor, with the iOS version of iPlayer being bestowed with a number of features the Android version doesn't have.

I know the counter-argument that will be offered is that it's easier to develop for iOS because there's only a limited number of different specs but that's not good enough frankly, it's far from impossible to develop for Android even taking into account the myriad of different devices, the only reason some developers continue to favour iOS is laziness or incompetence.
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    What I don't get is how, although ports on smartphones vary, all smartphones except iPhones are microusb so it's universal throughout. In fact, I thought it was EU law that all mobiles now need to use microusb for charging, how comes Apple can get away with doing something completely different?
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't get is how, although ports on smartphones vary, all smartphones except iPhones are microusb so it's universal throughout. In fact, I thought it was EU law that all mobiles now need to use microusb for charging, how comes Apple can get away with doing something completely different?

Apple supply a charger that uses a USB cable. Which to be honest is a very practical solution/workaround.

And wish the EU had never stuck their idiotic oar in on the charging issue. It was never an issue and should never have been pursued. But then as a whole the EU is a bunch of mindless idiots doing things that seemed like a good idea but rarely is .... they're just a complete resource drain.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can never find a good case for my OS, the bits and bytes keep getting scratched.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Apple supply a charger that uses a USB cable. Which to be honest is a very practical solution/workaround.

And wish the EU had never stuck their idiotic oar in on the charging issue. It was never an issue and should never have been pursued. But then as a whole the EU is a bunch of mindless idiots doing things that seemed like a good idea but rarely is .... they're just a complete resource drain.

Actually I think it was a good idea to have one charger that works for all mobile devices, nothing idiotic about that. Neither is to demand a 2 years warranty and other things.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it is one of the best things the EU have done. How many odd chargers did you used to have lying around the place? Now you only need one and it works with all devices.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    I think it is one of the best things the EU have done. How many odd chargers did you used to have lying around the place? Now you only need one and it works with all devices.

But people are still gong to have chargers lying around the place. what should have been done is the the phone should be sold separate and if the person buying the phone requires a charger, they would pay a few quid for it. i know got three chargers that will work with my phone. i have also got other usb power supplies that will work as chargers with the right cable.

So the EU sticking their nose in have not done anything at all.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Duped - deleted
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    But people are still gong to have chargers lying around the place. what should have been done is the the phone should be sold separate and if the person buying the phone requires a charger, they would pay a few quid for it. i know got three chargers that will work with my phone. i have also got other usb power supplies that will work as chargers with the right cable.

So the EU sticking their nose in have not done anything at all.

Having a few chargers that are all the same isn't a problem, you can keep one at work, one in your home office, one in your bedroom, your partner will use them as will the kids. And you can use them on other devices I think like for cameras, tabs.

A completely different charger for each device and only used for that devise is such a waste. You'll have the same number of chargers but be restricted on their use.

No, this is the sort of thing the EU does well.
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member

That's fine but that's just a workaround to the issue which is that they are not using a universal port which every other smartphone uses.

Also, the EU is a bureaucratic mess but I entirely agree with their stance that things like phone chargers should be standardised. I like the fact that I can go visit my parents and not have to carry an extra cable/adaptor because although their phones are a completely brand to mine it'll still work because it adheres to a simple universal standard.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's fine but that's just a workaround to the issue which is that they are not using a universal port which every other smartphone uses.

Also, the EU is a bureaucratic mess but I entirely agree with their stance that things like phone chargers should be standardised. I like the fact that I can go visit my parents and not have to carry an extra cable/adaptor because although their phones are a completely brand to mine it'll still work because it adheres to a simple universal standard.

so what happens when technology outgrows micro USB (some might say it already has).

do we let the EU decide what is the next choice, or do we let the experts (ie the manufacturers) decide what way they want to go.

also, this is NOT a universal standard. this is an EU dictated standard.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    I have 2 android speaker docks. both work very well. The choice is limited but there are some good ones out there. Latest purchase was the dual charge Samsung mini-hifi thing. Sounds brilliant and loads of features :)
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    so what happens when technology outgrows micro USB (some might say it already has).

do we let the EU decide what is the next choice, or do we let the experts (ie the manufacturers) decide what way they want to go.

also, this is NOT a universal standard. this is an EU dictated standard.

Relax with the EU phobia. It's a memorandum of understanding which is little more than a gentlemen's agreement between signatories which are pretty much all the major manufacturers.

If they wanted to move with the technology the legal requirements won't stop them from doing so.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im really confused by this post.

Android is an OS, not a piece of hardware. Google, Samsung, HTC and others all make android phones, so which one do you want an accessory for, and then within that brand which model Android handset, Galaxy Ace? Galaxy Y? Galaxy S , Galaxy SII , Galaxy SIII, Galaxy SIIII ? As they will all need different cases and thats just samsung. With Apple its easy only a small amount of hardware to make accessories for.
    Forum Member
    Step666 wrote: »
    Much worse than patchy accessory support is the fact that Android continues to be treated as a second-class OS by a lot of app developers.
    The likes of the BBC are particularly poor, with the iOS version of iPlayer being bestowed with a number of features the Android version doesn't have.

I know the counter-argument that will be offered is that it's easier to develop for iOS because there's only a limited number of different specs but that's not good enough frankly, it's far from impossible to develop for Android even taking into account the myriad of different devices, the only reason some developers continue to favour iOS is laziness or incompetence.

And it's easier to give support for iOS as there are only a few devices so testing is a lot easier.

And then there is the fact that there is a lot of piracy especially of games on Android that puts developers off.

Also - not sure it's true or not but I'm sure that I read that iOS users on average spend more on apps/games than Android. Although that maybe just beacusse thre is a lareg range of Android handsets from budget to top end.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    It would help if phone makers could agree on a standard design for Android phones for different screen sizes, locating the cameras, speakers, volume buttons and USB ports etc. in the same place and have a standard for layout for the different screen sizes, so if you do say buy an expensive accessory for an Android phone, if you then get a new phone the thing will still plug into it or slot in etc.
    Forum Member
    It would help if phone makers could agree on a standard design for Android phones for different screen sizes, locating the cameras, speakers, volume buttons and USB ports etc. in the same place and have a standard for layout for the different screen sizes, so if you do say buy an expensive accessory for an Android phone, if you then get a new phone the thing will still plug into it or slot in etc.

Although I can understand where you are coming from I think in effect it would be an awful idea. All phones would end looking just like each other with do differences between makes.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »

Development time like any other time is money so it's not laziness or incompetence it's business reality at the moment. I hate this sense of entitlement that some people seem to have on what should be available.

It's well known that iOS users are far more likely to purchase and not pirate the app and also you can't get around the fact that with the current toolsets, for some type of applications it's less effort to develop something for the iOS platform, especially if it's a tablet and therefore bigger return.

At the same time there are some really innovative apps available for Android which some independents have written just for the heck of it. You don't tend to see these type of apps so much on iOS

Google are coming out with some new tools to help out with this problem so it will be interesting to see how this will pan out.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

How is it obvious? Is it because there are so many different types of Android phones?