Options

Madonna Appreciation Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i seem to remember them attending a couple of functions together, hence the pictures and there was talk of a collaboration. "in the closet" was the proposed track, but she didn't think he fully grasped the term or something along those lines and she backed out. they also had the same manager for some time. his camp later suggested she of "obsessed" with him, but that seems highly unlikely considering the other men she has dated.:blush: it does seem odd that she has posted a few pictures with him lately, because they weren't the biggest of friends from what i can gather, but i remember his death did effect her at the time. i don't see how its "controversial" though, she's posted far worse.:D

pat leonard wrote some of her best tracks for me and "frozen" was an excellent lead single for "ray of light". out of the three scenarios, i would welcome a reconnection between them two the most. we know none of these people have been confirmed on the next record, so it seems a moot point really for people to be raising on another forum.

she reconnected with orbit again on mdna and that didn't quite recapture their previous magic in my opinion. when you mix things up as much as she does, you are prone to making a few misfires in the process, but i do agree, she should keep moving forward and working with different producers/writers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    here is where she explains the background behind her not going forward with the mj collaboration.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    i seem to remember them attending a couple of functions together, hence the pictures and there was talk of a collaboration. "in the closet" was the proposed track, but she didn't think he fully grasped the term or something along those lines and she backed out. they also had the same manager for some time. his camp later suggested she of "obsessed" with him, but that seems highly unlikely considering the other men she has dated.:blush: it does seem odd that she has posted a few pictures with him lately, because they weren't the biggest of friends from what i can gather, but i remember his death did effect her at the time. i don't see how its "controversial" though, she's posted far worse.:D

pat leonard wrote some of her best tracks for me and "frozen" was an excellent lead single for "ray of light". out of the three scenarios, i would welcome a reconnection between them two the most. we know none of these people have been confirmed on the next record, so it seems a moot point really for people to be raising on another forum.

she reconnected with orbit again on mdna and that didn't quite recapture their previous magic in my opinion. when you mix things up as much as she does, you are prone to making a few misfires in the process, but i do agree, she should keep moving forward and working with different producers/writers.

I totally agree with all of this. Unlike some fans, I wasn't so big on her earlier 80's stuff. I only really became a huge fan with LAP, so her working with Patrick Leonard is really the only one that appeals to me a little. Stephen Bray and Nile Rodgers don't interest me at all. But as you said, people change and it's hard to recapture that magic. I see it a lot with older bands that reunite. Their new stuff is never as good as the old records.

I read that Madonna is going to be on the cover of this month's Classic Pop Magazine. It's kind of a boring magazine actually that focuses on 80's nostalgia music. I like some 80's music, but I also like 90's and current music so its focus is a little limited to me. They tend to focus on UK synth pop and new wave type of acts like Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Boy George etc. This is actually the first time they've had a big feature on Madonna, which is surprising given her influence on the 80's. I doubt she will be interviewed, but it will be interesting to see what the feature will be. I think someone wrote in complaining that they didn't cover the 25th anniversary of LAP. But as I said they seem to be hung up on UK new wave acts and ignore some huge icons of the 80's like Madonna, Prince and Michael Jackson which is odd. But good that they are doing something about Madonna!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a lot of people seem to see the eighties being madonna's "golden era", but i disagree in a way. for better or worse, she kept pushing forward and much of her subsequent music has been amazing. i guess people look at the string of successful albums/singles from that period and think the music was much better than it actually was.

don't get me wrong, i was a big fan from a young age and i still love her 80's output generally, but she made a brave decision to move in a different direction after that decade and some things worked, while other things didn't work quite so well. i have always maintained that she has never made a bad album in my opinion, but "like a virgin" and "bedtime stories" would probably loom around my least favourites.

some negatively obsessed loon asserted somewhere a while ago that "bedtime stories" saved her career back in the nineties, but that album was merely a cog in the wheel and beyond the success of "take a bow" in the us, the album hardly completely reversed her fortunes like it was asserted.:blush:

"something to remember" and "evita" were the main vehicles that made her "comeback" with "ray of light" so effective in my opinion. the eighties was perhaps her most stable period, in terms of commercial success, but she has recovered from the lows remarkably well considering other artists never fully return to commercial or critical form when they start to misfire.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to be one of the few fans that dont rank Ray of Light that highly...for me it is more of a "mood" album....the sounds/styels across it are similar and follow that cohesive theme and i love the album but for me irank it in the middle-ish area :-). Also i wasnt a fan ofher mid 90s balladry/Evita stuff either.

Also her first three album are among my least played, for me 1989 - 1995 really saw a string of classic albums, artistic/innovative videos/impact in a musical and cultural way like nothing else, my fave time period.

Bedtime Stories i have played a lot in recent days and actually really really rank it as more of a favourite than i used to again probs around the middle (maybe 6th) but the fusion of Funk/Soul/Trip Hop styles...influenced a lot by the Bristol UK scene and Icelandic pop (Bjork) as well as the unerground urban scene (the inclusion of Dallas Austin and Babyface and Nellee Hooper a class A touch) really adore the variation...as an album it works.

I (while I count Im Breathless as an important album of course) view Like a Prayer/Erotica an Bedtime Stories as a really pioneerinv trilogy that regardless of what is said about Erotica and BS they are massive artistic statements and as important in shift as Like a Prayer IMHO :-) also the three albums hold a variation of sound and i adore her vocals and lyrics, songs about her mother, loss, aids, politics, media, dreams, fantasies, divorce, heartbreak, death, loss, mourning, love, family, friendship, spirituality, cathlocism/religion, hollywood, so beautiful.

and also i view MDNA as one of her best albums eprsonally....I adore the fact you feel like you are in Woodstock one minute then in the Studio 54 the next then on the set of TRON then visiting Russ Meyer and Tarantino ...it is Woodstock meets Ultra fest with Beach Boy/Banjo/Powerpop meets Electronica/EDM/Rave/Techno music cross 16 sonvs it painted a really trippy album of direction style and themes :-) I just wished it was showcased better but there we go and personally i do view it higher in ranking than ROL..."im a sinner....but i like it that way..."

and i feel Rebel Heart will really take these themes further ....I mean if Like a Prayer met Erotica by way of MDNA with American Life and Confessions i feel thats the vibe we will get next up...but with a twist i reckon perhaps Neo Soul elements heavily and more Folktronica styles? we shall see but i am excited in fact 2012 onwards could make for my second fave Madonna era <3 :-) just wished the MDNA singles were better chosen but i loved the Luvin and Wild videos and the MDNA world tour etc :-) we shall of coruse see where we are headed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like a Virgin was my least favourite album so I'm not really hoping Nigel comes back.
    My all time favourite period of her music was the late 90s to early 2000's. Ray of Light, American Life and Music were her at her most creative and interesting although I love the later records as well. It was pop but with more of an alternative sensibility which I love.
    I guess it depends on your age. I find that people a little older than me really go for the early 80's stuff.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Some fans on another forum are suggesting that Madonna should work with Nile Rodgers, Patrick Leonard and Stephen Bray and try to recreate her 80's sound. Maybe I'm in the minority but that is really not that appealing to me. I love that she keeps moving forward. People say she is "desperate" but I think getting all your old producers together and trying for an 80's sound when you had your biggest hits would actually be desperate.
    As far as the 80's nostalgia thing to me it works best when younger artists who weren't really around in the 80's take the sound and make it their own. For older artists who were around and did the 80's thing in the first place to recreate their 80's sound seems a little tacky to me. But I guess most fans would love it. I guess I have different tastes than most fans. What do you all think?

I don't think this would work. there are loads of artists who were big at a certain time who aren't as big and popular now who have tried to recreate what they did when popular, and can't pull it off. mainly because back then they were young and hungry and only did so much stuff, but over the years most of what they were capable of is out their system and any attempt of recreating the past ends up sounding like a pale imitation. look at the material those artists have done over the last 10 years, hardly a load of hit singles to which Madonna would be dying to have. she's better off sticking to working with the newest hit producers that she can get. of course having good written material is also key, but even though a lot of money can exchange hands, some people would prefer not to sell their potential hit records to older acts as it can affect their reputation, they want the katy perrys and whoever else is big that year to do it as they will sell more in the long run
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and she's teasing again,:D this time its lyrics.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me thus far fave segments are

1989 - 1994 (Like a Prayer album/Im Breathless/Dick Tracy/BA Tour/TIC/Erotica/Maverick/League Of Their Own/SEX Book/girlie Show/Bedtime Stories)

2003 - 2009 (American Life/RIT/Confessions on a Dance Floor/Confessions Tour/Tell You A Secret/Filth & Wisdom/Hard Candy/S&S Tour/Celebration)

(currently)2011 - now (W.E/Interscope Label/MDNA/MDNA Tour/Superbowl/KLEIN/Art For Freedom...)

1997 - 2001 (Ray of Light/Drowned World/Music)

1982 - 1987 (Sire/Madonna/Like a Virgin/Virgin Tour/True Blue/Whos That girl/tour)

1995/6 (Something To Remember/Evita)

Just my personal tastes segmented :-) and the 2011 to now period may change up a level if it heas the way I think under Interscope :-)

and LOVE thos lyrics, already they sound so haunting in mood...i think the speculation was right thus far from DrownedMadonna.com :-) the "Mesiah" in the Kabballah religion and not as in Christ...the Sorcerer and the Magician :-) and our own personal light/auras

also "no light of my own" that was used in Im A Sinner right? cool! love when she refers to other songs like on TUTR when she says "mot to a flame" like on To Have But Not To Hold :-)
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I totally agree with all of this. Unlike some fans, I wasn't so big on her earlier 80's stuff. I only really became a huge fan with LAP, so her working with Patrick Leonard is really the only one that appeals to me a little. Stephen Bray and Nile Rodgers don't interest me at all. But as you said, people change and it's hard to recapture that magic. I see it a lot with older bands that reunite. Their new stuff is never as good as the old records.

I read that Madonna is going to be on the cover of this month's Classic Pop Magazine. It's kind of a boring magazine actually that focuses on 80's nostalgia music. I like some 80's music, but I also like 90's and current music so its focus is a little limited to me. They tend to focus on UK synth pop and new wave type of acts like Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Boy George etc. This is actually the first time they've had a big feature on Madonna, which is surprising given her influence on the 80's. I doubt she will be interviewed, but it will be interesting to see what the feature will be. I think someone wrote in complaining that they didn't cover the 25th anniversary of LAP. But as I said they seem to be hung up on UK new wave acts and ignore some huge icons of the 80's like Madonna, Prince and Michael Jackson which is odd. But good that they are doing something about Madonna!

I love 80s synthpop and New wave so imo Classic Pop is a great mag and not at all boring!

I love 80s Madonna as well so I think it's great that the mag is featuring her.

I would love M to work with her 80s collaborators again bur I don't suppose she will.

Imo her golden era is the 80s and 90s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is stephen bray even still song writing these days? the last i heard he composed a musical which earned him a "tony" nomination, but that must have been about a decade ago now. i always thought of the "bray" songs as more carefree pop and "leonard" songs having more of an edge.

"true blue" and "like a prayer" are solid albums, without a doubt the best albums from her 80s output. then a similar pattern emerged with "ray of light" and "music" where two solid albums followed each other.

she generally is quite shrewd in terms on when its time for a change, but i was surprised when "price" didn't get a second look in after the success of "confessions".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    speaking of bray, she was "causing a commotion" at the courthouse earlier today and they let her go early.:D it amazes me what the authorities honestly expected, even though she was a bit late, it was always bound to be a bit of an event having her there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    and she's teasing again,:D this time its lyrics.:o

The latest rumour about the Messiah lyrics is the song is for the soundtrack of a movie called the Giver coming out in August. It's a science fiction movie so I guess that might explain some of the references to the sorceress etc. But you know how Madonna and rumours are!
    I hope Messiah is not a too traditional ballad. I am hoping for something mixing electronics and an orchestra like the best of some of Bjork's older work. Sort of a 2014 version of Bedtime Story maybe!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am intrigued as to who she wrote/produced with for MESSIAH....really am. Just as an inkling to the direction/style it may be ...cannot wait.

And kudos to M for even appearing really :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love 80s synthpop and New wave so imo Classic Pop is a great mag and not at all boring!

I love 80s Madonna as well so I think it's great that the mag is featuring her.

I would love M to work with her 80s collaborators again bur I don't suppose she will.

Imo her golden era is the 80s and 90s.

I like some synth pop but I think their focus is too limited on a small number of bands. It gets very repetitive to me. Also I find their articles kind of superficial. If you are fan of those bands, they don't really tell you anything you didn't already know or give any new insight into the music. It's kind of a modern day Smash Hits. Personally, I like music magazines that do delve into things a little deeper. But to each their own.

In the current issue, they do have a decent feature on Kylie in which they cover all of her albums not just the 80's stuff. Hopefully, they will do a similiar thing on Madonna.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The latest rumour about the Messiah lyrics is the song is for the soundtrack of a movie called the Giver coming out in August. It's a science fiction movie so I guess that might explain some of the references to the sorceress etc. But you know how Madonna and rumours are!
    I hope Messiah is not a too traditional ballad. I am hoping for something mixing electronics and an orchestra like the best of some of Bjork's older work. Sort of a 2014 version of Bedtime Story maybe!

a pre-album soundtrack single would do her no harm to be honest. i still cant believe "masterpiece" wasn't issued to support "we" tbh. i am hoping for a 2014 "frozen" personally and that wasn't a straight forward ballad either, but that is setting the bar extremely high.:D those strings are quite something though and the lyrics are intriguing.

funnily enough, due to work, i was reading an extensive list of forthcoming film releases the other day and that title didn't catch my eye. a quick search suggests that "meryl streep" is amongst the cast, so the project may gain some momentum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if Messiah will be part of "the giver" or not, many seem to think Taylor Swift will be behind the soundtrack? though see what has happened with Pharrell and Happy...granted Dispicable Me and that song are family friendly/focused songs whereas this will be a cult/sci-fi film/book adaptation with a song with spiritual symbolism(potentially) fronting it..so yeah. But still never know.

Though i would adore it if she released it as part of the album, mid-summer and just push it out there and start this era officially.

Love the teases of looking back to the past on her Instagram of late too. And her hand jewellery which i hope is in the art direction of the album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taylor swift is part of the cast, so it would make more sense her working on the soundtrack. i can just imagine the swift/madge musical collaboration rumours doing the rounds shortly.:D either way, she is strongly teasing this track for some reason and my bet is that it will lead the album, something is definitely going to drop imminently. :cool:

instagram has really served its propose for her. she could have done more on twitter or facebook, but she kind of gravitated to instagram rather than following the twitter trend and its kept her profile ticking along nicely between albums. her posts tend to feed through to twitter/facebook anyway, but instagram seems the source of her on-line presence and it suits her perfectly, considering she's always been a visually driven artist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh Instagram is such a perfect social media IMO..I love it...that and Tumblr i find such fascinating thinvs on...In fact i oft wonder why Madonna isnt on Tumblr? I think she would have a lot more creativity going on...maybe she will eventually...didnt she have an Art For Freedom event on there?

I am glad she doesnt use Twitter...as have said, Madonna is driven in visual messages more so than "tweets"...plus it maintains that mystery element greatly.

Also yeah Messiah would not be teased as much as it has were it not for her own album i would not have thought.

Though funnily enough "the giver" is released the day before her birthday...weird right?

Anyways...I wonder who has produced it with M? I am so hotly looking forward to hear Ariel Rechtshaids work with her....been balsting Charli XCX (True Romance, Sky Ferreira (Night Time, My Time) and HAIM (Days Are gone) albums recently just getting a taster of where M can take this direction of "Indie pop/Indie Dance" and with Diplo alongside....just yeah getting an idea/scope of where she is heading...Messiah with Ariel/Diplo rhythms would be insane!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rewatched the Jennifer garner classic 13 going on 30 last night (brilliant soundtrack/hilarious feel good film!) just LOVED the use of Madonna in it :-) "oh my god Madonna is my friend!" hehe X-D class.

Anyways blasted HAIM - Days Are gone album out in the garden today and really really would adore if M created some songs like that with Ariel and co. Just powerful melodies and themes explored would be so insane :-) the music industry feels like it is taking odes from retro pop a lot of the time now and i feel that Madonna will just excel by pushing forward such insane sounds and styles and themes.

Also Darren Hayes wrote a great write up for Attitude Magazine about "why the world needs a new Madonna album" :-) i agreed with the majority. Will try and find the link, i shared it on Facebook yesterday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member

Thanks for the link, really enjoyed reading it!

Always been a fan of Darren's imagine if he were to collaborate with M?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome, I enjoyed reading :-)

The speculation is reaching a peak I mean the past month she has hardly posted about new music directly....I feel we are in a quiet before the storm phase right now....I do think we will see/hear something in August though, just an inkling I have had ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved her post recently about summer using the image from her 1991 Rolling Stone photo shoot :-)

She has reflected a lot the past year :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna is coming to London, there are pics of her inside the flight taken by passengers :-D must be insane having M walk past you!

She looks great too...people are speculating that she may do V Fest this summer (as it coincides with her birthay and rumours of her doing a festival to launch new material)