The Dealership - ch4

13»

Comments

• theidtheid Posts: 6,054
    Forum Member
    As for elocution at least they have a basic command of the English language, the Geordie bores would not know a vowel if it smacked them in the face.

Sorry, it was the loud estuary accents which made it impossible for me to watch! Why do people have to SHOUT! That used to be the default position for Americans, but it appears to have caught on here.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Scott had to go - but good he resigned, he would never have sold 15 cars in a month....the Farmers were the last 'straw'.:D
    I thought Big Mac, was going to be good - all in the editing.;)

Just wondering how much James makes, with all the Cars he Sales each month.:eek:
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Cormac fella didn't last long!

I liked Scott - he gave it a try and was honest at the end.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no aluminum in their sign. oops. Wrong prog.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jak frost wrote: »
    One of the worst shows I have ever watched.

Absolutely. Their all full of shit. If that James thinks that people are taken in by his desperate flannel, then he's deluded. What he does, doesn't make him likeable. People want to buy a car, they're not interested in his 'Hello gawgis' 'I drive the very same car' And 'Is this your sister?' when it's obviously somebody's mum, crap. Puhleeease!! What an absolute tw*t. They suffer it, because they want to buy a car. A new collective phrase should be 'A W*nker of car salesmen'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be a lot more popular than 'Saddos'' sorry I mean 'Shoplife' on BBC Three, at least this has a air of being interesting whereas 'Slapperlife' is utterly pathetic in every extreme, full of the most irritating inane voids ever to be created in a knee trembler behind the 'Big Market' on a Friday night.

As for elocution at least they have a basic command of the English language, the Geordie bores would not know a vowel if it smacked them in the face.

Aren't the demographic who watch such programmes termed "Saddos" ?
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    junnja wrote: »
    Absolutely. Their all full of shit. If that James thinks that people are taken in by his desperate flannel, then he's deluded. What he does, doesn't make him likeable. People want to buy a car, they're not interested in his 'Hello gawgis' 'I drive the very same car' And 'Is this your sister?' when it's obviously somebody's mum, crap. Puhleeease!! What an absolute tw*t. They suffer it, because they want to buy a car. A new collective phrase should be 'A W*nker of car salesmen'

I actually find it offensive when sales people talk to me like that - it turns me right off and I take my business elsewhere. As for all this "gawgis" and "babes" stuff, surely that went out in the 60s? (erm, apparently not in Essex). Having said all that, it's not a job I would want to do, nor could I. I feel sorry for the guy who's doing badly (Scott?) because he's obviously out of his depth. His brain might be up to the job but his body language lets him down :(
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theid wrote: »
    Sorry, it was the loud estuary accents which made it impossible for me to watch! Why do people have to SHOUT! That used to be the default position for Americans, but it appears to have caught on here.

Yeah, I'm having difficulty with that :(

And Geordies may not use vowels, but at least we can say "th"! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I don't know if people from that part of the word respond well to patronising, out dated, high pressure sales techniques but I'd be out of that place like a shot even if they had the car I wanted at the right price.
    Interesting watch though.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    odd that the fat guy got 1 sale, and then vanished :confused:

I don't know if people from that part of the word respond well to patronising, out dated, high pressure sales techniques but I'd be out of that place like a shot even if they had the car I wanted at the right price.
    Interesting watch though.

yep these sales guys are such a cliché I wouldn't trust them with a burnt matchstick!
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StaxVolt wrote: »
    I am enjoying this show and the prog makers have tried to give us a peek into the workings of a cliche-ridden business and it works imo.I worked in direct sales of Life Assurance on commission only for ten years,another despised occupation (and not without reason).The sink or swim mentality of a commission only pay structure was no doubt a contributory factor to the abuse of mis-selling that banks and life companies perpetrated from 1988 onwards and are so desperate to distance themselves from now.(as if they could).:rolleyes:

'The Dealership's pay structure is commission-related so that means there's a basic salary but it won't be much.With the accent so heavily on sales I wonder what bit's are edited out.I used to have a manager who loved to tell me .. "If you earn £10k next month,it's your fault ... if you earn nothing,guess what?" ... there then followed an "agreed" production target which would be completely unfeasible,if not wildly optimistic.References would be made to the top salesman in the branch who would be asked to announce to the rest of us what he earned last month (it would always be a figure most of us would be happy with for 6 months work).

This was perceived as "See,it can be done!" motivation but little was added in the area of selling skills.The characterisations of James (successful,easy-going,competent) are starkly contrasted with Scott (poor body language,aggressive manner and facial expressions,awkward,no rapport,limited communication skills) and he probably should have been declined at the interview stage when he would certainly have displayed his most negative attributes under that pressure to the boss.

The boss himself has been seen to be less than supportive and at times hyper-critical although Scott has it seems given him cause.When I see the lad in any situation away from customers I can see why he thought he might have been worth a punt as a salesman but as soon as he's one-to-one with a client,he visibly stiffens and becomes Lurch-like in demeanour.He has to go I'm afraid.

I'd like to see more about 'Closing Rates' and James in particular.For example,how many punters did he have in the office and how many bought from him in his 31 sales for the month (which is pretty phenomenal in any business).Also how many chose not to come into the office following his awful initial "You awright " intro and popping up like a ninja from anywhere with what seems to me to be pretty tired banter.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I'm enjoying it as well , once you get past the "fink this " and "fink that " it's quite good .

Next time I buy a car I'll have a better idea as to whats goi g on behind the scenes . I will certainly be driving a harder bargain than I usually do , that's for certain !
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked the Mother & Daughter that (although they wanted £1500) steadfastly refused to accept anything less than a grand for their Peugeot. Even the boss couldn't move them. They were not taken in by all he flannel.

A shame that was the last episode.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was amazed that in the *ahem* "training" if you can call it that... the boss was actually telling him to greet customers with "hello mate"

I'm from that part of the world but didn't grow up there & that's just poor & not what most of Essex want....

Same as when those clowns try and phone me to get me to claim on a minor accident and they use my first name or mate.....
    well the phone just gets hung up even quicker than normal......without a normal courtesy goodbye as I've been Bought up properly I at least normally say good day... ! :)