BBC 2 Speed Dreams: The Fastest Place on Earth

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pvbdv
22:00

Bill Nighy narrates a story about how every year thousands of petrol heads descend upon a dried up salt lake bed in Bonneville, Utah. Men from all over the world come to this truly unique setting with their bespoke vehicles - they all have just one plan, to drive them as fast as they can and hopefully join an elite group: the fastest men on earth.

Comments

• Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Nobody watching this lot and their toys?
    I do like blokes in sheds with lathes, they can bunny on for hours being informative about engines you've never seen and where the design was wrong.
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching it now. I bet the neighbours love these people.
    Forum Member
    Oh well, at least I enjoyed that, look forward to part II.
    Not holding great hopes for the Tribute Triumph to do much though.
    Won't be the first people to build an engine then find it does a lot less than expected when confronted with a Dyno.
  • Miss ListerMiss Lister Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Well, we loved this programme. Huge fans of the 'World's fastest Indian' film.

My husband used to build motorbikes and run his own shop. He sat with the hugest smile on his face for an hour. In his words, 'it's people like this that put the Great into Britain' :D Can't wait to see how they all get on next week.

I have just been checking out speed week which is held in August and we've decided we will go one year. Husband is keen to build his own bike again and ride it there. Er, no thanks.

Great programme!
  • WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Men in sheds building things... with hammers and spanners.

Great stuff!!
  • andy-iandy-i Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Watched it on demand last night. Great program with some wonderful characters.

They make such as a refreshing change to some of the Corporate robots in F1.

Loved the "Beer of Disappointment" line :-)
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Good programme.

I really enjoyed it.
  • johnanjohnan Posts: 3,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonderful stuff.

These guys are a dying breed, todays Playstation brigade wouldn't know what to do with a spanner if their life depended on it.

We are doomed, bring back vocational education and give youngsters a useful subject to follow rather than media studies at "uni" for heaven sake.Then at least if they can't get a job they use their skills in their hobbies or start cottage (shed) industries.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Nobody watching this lot and their toys?
    I do like blokes in sheds with lathes, they can bunny on for hours being informative about engines you've never seen and where the design was wrong.
    Watching later in the week...
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched it last night, fantastic, and as they said it was testament to their engineering skills that all the machines passed scrutineering
    Forum Member
    Fans of men in sheds building go faster toys should look out for Battle of Bonneville, next time it's on, Walt and Art Arfons are particularly enjoyable.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00bypd3/episodes/guide
    I'm guessing we'll never see a 3rd part to the, In search of speed series now.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where would Britain be without slightly overweight balding men in sheds? (don't say the 21st century!)
    Forum Member
    Nobody watching this week?
    Forgot it was on, only just turned over, I'll have to download if off Iplayer later.
  • able1able1 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only caught the final 20 minutes, but what a shame the excellent first programme morphed into self-indulgent, precious, over emotional, drama queenesque nonsense.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I enjoyed it, clearly such projects are as much emotional as technical and that was reflected, esp Mikes Bike.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Well I enjoyed it, clearly such projects are as much emotional as technical and that was reflected, esp Mikes Bike.
    Not just Team Page......poor Dave and the Super Charger, which he didn't make himself, the frustration, but then the Joy, when he got to ride another Bike.

Then there was Oz with his illness, and the great Chris Ireland with his Indian...what was it, 160 on the A14.:eek:

With great narration too from Bill Nighy, this turned out to be a gem of a 2 part Doc.

And I've got Salt Fever now....:cool:
  • pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fascinating program, beats Top Gear into the ground.

BUT must mention the background music on part 2, yes they kept playing bits of Creedance Clearwater's "Keep on Choogling" (full version about 8 mins).
    I used to dance to this at a Birkenhead Disco Club every week back in 1973 with my now wife. Then heard John Fogerty play it live supporting Bruce last year at Hyde park, bought tears to my eyes, particularly as wife now very unwell. Time flys.

Good to see lots of olderns following their dreams.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnan wrote: »
    Wonderful stuff.

These guys are a dying breed, todays Playstation brigade wouldn't know what to do with a spanner if their life depended on it.

We are doomed, bring back vocational education and give youngsters a useful subject to follow rather than media studies at "uni" for heaven sake.Then at least if they can't get a job they use their skills in their hobbies or start cottage (shed) industries.

Well said...
    Forum Member
    Bumpity bump just noticed the second part of this been repeated on BBC Two now.