Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - 31st January 9pm - BBC2

Comments

• roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,894
    Forum Member
    wolfticket wrote: »
    It is a worthy thing to just be a satirist in various forms.
    Saying he should do something different that is more original is like telling a chef to do something more original, like repair a motorbike.
    I think you're both going to extremes tbh. The reality is somewhere in the middle.

It's true he doesn't have to completely ditch what he's done before, but on the other hand the format of the wipe shows *is* getting rather stale.

Plus, I'm not convinced he's actually that funny - so I find his attempts at humour tiresome. He's much better when he's making serious comments about things I think.

Perhaps that's the answer - he should try something a bit more serious? I don't know. But one way or another, the wipe shows that were must-see TV back in the day I rarely watch these days. If I do watch them, it's only if I have time to get round to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    I think you're both going to extremes tbh. The reality is somewhere in the middle.

It's true he doesn't have to completely ditch what he's done before, but on the other hand the format of the wipe shows *is* getting rather stale.

Plus, I'm not convinced he's actually that funny - so I find his attempts at humour tiresome. He's much better when he's making serious comments about things I think.

Perhaps that's the answer - he should try something a bit more serious? I don't know. But one way or another, the wipe shows that were must-see TV back in the day I rarely watch these days. If I do watch them, it's only if I have time to get round to it.

Try the Daily Show with Jon Stewart on Comedy Central Extra that is a bit more serious.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring back Victor Lewis-Smith.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

I was just thinking of V L-S the other day when Michael Winner died. I remember the phone prank call Lewis-Smith made to him, basically calling him a talentless w*nker.

It was funny at the time.
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy all Charlie Brooker`s `wipes`, pleasantly surprised he kept more or less the same format. The segments were hilarious and long may he continue. Shitpeas and co. are brilliant.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »

He's associating with that numbnutt Keith Allen these days.
    IIRC they did a doc about Diana recently(ish) heard it was a load of old $hite
    The impression I get with VLS is that he's his own worst enemy and rubs people, including those who've got a lot of time for him, up the wrong way.
    Keith Allen seems to have a default mode of unutterable bore, when he hasn't got a script to follow.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching this evening?
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob Comet or Dick Debenhams :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of laughs already.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good fun so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Plug up your top hole, fatty, you're eating too much" :D
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "It's a bit like a Whodunnit called Colin Is Guilty". :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pleb-spotting trip :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's enough Mali puns!
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THAT'S MALI FOR YOU
    :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We were only discussing the other day that we had thought Timbuktu was fictional for years. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    We were only discussing the other day that we had thought Timbuktu was fictional for years. :o

But it's still a long way to tipperary!

:D
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen this before but wanted to tune in just to see what he says about Richard III
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Other diet drinks are available E.G. water" :D
  • RIPYorkshireTVRIPYorkshireTV Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Hiya!
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incredibly hit or miss...as per. Some of it utter genuis and very funny, some of it not.....
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Hill

For Grown Ups

:D
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love it! It's like TV burp with PMS!.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The person behind that Coke ad presumably watched the music video for "Call Me Maybe".
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonderful show had me laughing my head off.

TV reviews and the adverts the best.