The Ratings Thread (Part 29)

Comments

• fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant for Downton.

The biggest timeshift ever I presume at over 3 million?
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Downton - 11.60m + 513k = 12.113m
    EastEnders - 11.33m + 968k* = 12.268m

968k (5.2%) is BBC3's official rating for EE's repeat.

Hmmm. Excluding +1/+2/+3's Downton is most watched, including it, EastEnders is. Contentious.

Let's just say both programmes did exceptionally well.:D
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Poor Robbie...

:D

What are you talking about?

Doesn't this just prove my point?

Anyone have the BBC3 figures for the well established and popular EastEnders repeat? Be interesting to see if EE won on aggregate. Will have been close.

[Edit: just seen the figures. Congratulations to EE on being most watched show this Christmas Day. Just!]
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you talking about?

Doesn't this just prove my point?

Anyone have the BBC3 figures for the well established and popular EastEnders repeat? Be interesting to see if EE won on aggregate. Will have been close.

Including them, EE wins. Excluding them, Downton wins. (see above)
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was there any Channel 4 data last night? I was hoping that Hacks rated 1.5m not including +1 :)
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,664
    Forum Member
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Was there any Channel 4 data last night? I was hoping that Hacks rated 1.5m not including +1 :)
    Hacks had just under 600k.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hilarious outcome in a way. Something for all of us to claim victory over.

But given ITV's obsession with +1s they can hardly not now aggregate both EE and DA. So by their own preferred measure, EE won Christmas Day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Hacks had just under 600k.

Cheers for that, 1 pt in the RPG :(
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But given ITV's obsession with +1s they can hardly not now aggregate both EE and DA. So by their own preferred measure, EE won Christmas Day.

EE wasn't on a +1 channel though. ;)

Absolutely stunning timeshift for Downton, and lots of excellent timeshifts for other shows too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awaits the 'BBC Three doesn't count' arguements to fill most of 2012 discussions whenever Downton is mentioned :D
    Forum Member
    Congratulations to EE on being most watched show this Christmas Day. Just!
    Ah, but the EE repeat on BBC3 finished at 5 minutes past midnight which is technically Boxing Day. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not surprised Hacks flopped. One of those Channel 4 comedies that ever so smug and pleased-with-itself.

The report on the Daily Mail website on Alesha Dixon leaving Strictly makes no mention whatsoever of BGT.

And, as yet, no Daily Mail report on the official Christmas Day ratings. Despite the fact it's exactly the sort of programme that appeals to the average Daily Mail reader, the paper now hates Downton Abbey with a passion because, like all tabloid journalists, they're bitter and twisted people who despise any success other than their own.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    EE wasn't on a +1 channel though. ;)
    but its possible that people planned to watch EE on BBC 3, like they might have planned to watch something else on ITV 1+1.

BBC 3 being treated as a repeat /+1 is subjective, but not without merit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, but the EE repeat on BBC3 finished at 5 minutes past midnight which is technically Boxing Day. ;)

Which would pull down the average, let us all agree EE on BBC3 got 1million up to the Xmas Day midnight cut-off, EastEnders wins Christmas Day twice!!! both Overnights and +1/+2/+3 etc....:D
  • SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overnights are dying. A series of huge timeshifts there. I can't think of any examples of where they've been this misleading before. :(

Well done to Downton Abbey and ITV. The ratings story of 2011 but we only find out about it two days into 2012!

I Don't think you can say they are dying. there are hundreds of digital channels now but to have over 17m watching on the two main channels is pretty impressive to me.
  • wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downton - 11.60m + 513k = 12.113m
    EastEnders - 11.33m + 968k* = 12.268m

968k (5.2%) is BBC3's official rating for EE's repeat.

Hmmm. Excluding +1/+2/+3's Downton is most watched, including it, EastEnders is. Contentious.

Funny how it's kind of the opposite of the most watched programme of 2011 "problem", with +1 etc X Factor wins (if the BBC News is ignored which it shouldn't be) without +1 The Royal Wedding wins. I'd imagine ITV will spin so they top both, as many won't see the hypocrisy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also hilarious that ITV and the media's obsession with outdated and increasingly irrelevant overnights means that only ratings nerds will likely ever find out about DA's narrow unaggregated win; the press reported EE's victory on the 27th so the story is now dead - until next xmas when the media go back to their old.reports and trot out the overnights again.

Poor ITV, poor Julian... :)
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

I'm not sure it's ITV's obsession!

Stunning timeshift for DA whether it won or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    but its possible that people planned to watch EE on BBC 3, like they might have planned to watch something else on ITV 1+1.

BBC 3 being treated as a repeat is subjective, but not without merit.

This has been my view for a while.
    If we include +1 we need to include other same day repeats.
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,471
    Forum Member
    Just to note some good time shifts for Who (as we've come to expect), Ab Fab, and most especially Michael McIntyre. Thats an 8m official for a show that finished at 11.35 - and less than half a million behind Strictly! They can't fail to bring him back next year with those sort of numbers.
    Forum Member
    grimshaw wrote: »
    Awaits the 'BBC Three doesn't count' arguements to fill most of 2012 discussions whenever Downton is mentioned :D
    Here's my view:

It's hard to argue much with the statement that 'EastEnders was the most watched programme overall on Christmas Day' taking into account all showings.

However, we wouldn't normally take other showings into account so why should we here? The significant development is that the premiere of Downton Abbey's Christmas Special had more viewers than everything on BBC One. And, channel preferences to one side, that is remarkable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Don't think you can say they are dying. there are hundreds of digital channels now but to have over 17m watching on the two main channels is pretty impressive to me.

Yes you are correct, it was obvious the DA timeshift was going to be a good 2m+ based on previous episodes - those 12 million regular viewers were going to watch it eventually. I would like to see just one evening of raw data of live viewings (and +1)... just to see how many people actually watch a show as it is broadcast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In the TV world Boxing Day didn't end until 2am.

it's like New Year Live jumping into the top 20 highest rated programmes list for 2011 even though most of the programme was in 2012. New Year's Eve, in TV land, didn't end until 2am.

;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Xmas Day ends at 05.59am like all others in telly terms.
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    rzt wrote: »
    Downton Abbey officially wins out of Christmas Day programmes in consolidated ratings:

Christmas Day 2011 Officials
    1...Downton Abbey - 11.60m (34.4%) [+1: 513k]
    2...EastEnders - 11.33m (32.4%)
    3...Doctor Who - 10.77m (37.3%)
    4...Coronation Street - 10.51m (34.2%) [+1: 308k]
    5...Absolutely Fabulous - 9.07m (28.5%)
    6...Strictly Come Dancing - 8.50m (27.9%)
    7...Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow - 8.09m (31.7%)
    8...The Gruffalo's Child - 7.64m (29.7%)
    9...Emmerdale - 7.11m (28.5%) [+1: 533k]
    10...All Star Family Fortunes - 6.36m (22.0%) [+1: 247k]

Some mighty timeshifts in there, especially Downton's 3.47m :eek:!

:eek: at the timeshift for DA. Is that the biggest timeshift ever?? I don't think anyone predicted it would top EE (excluding +1 and BBC3 repeat) so that is a real achievement. The bad news for ITV is that this probably won't be reported anywhere and not many people will know the whole story of Christmas Day. Michael McIntyre's final rating is excellent too (and thoroughly deserved IMO). It was a great show. Corrie was also ahead of it's Xmas Day 2010 episode too which seemed like something that wouldn't have happened coming off the back of the 50th Anniversary that year. It had 10.40m in 2010 vs. 10.51m (inc. +1: 10.82m) in 2011.
    Primetime Shares
    BBC1 - 31.925%*
    ITV1 - 31.25%

* McIntyre ran until 23:30 so this may be adjusted slightly

BBC1 still win primetime in the officials, but closer than in the overnights.

Now that is close!!
This discussion has been closed.