Poll: Were Alec Baldwin comments homophobic?

Comments

• TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    "You however did make yourself look rather daft for reasons i'm sure you won't get. "

Calling me stupid because I called you stupid.

It's been fun, but this is high school stuff.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    TYCO wrote: »
    We just find it amusing that you're willing to make a statement but not able to explain it.

We?

I don't have to explain it. Its plain enough to see isnt it that i simply don't agree they are homophobic.
    I'm not attempting, I'm succeeding.

You think you are!!
    As I pointed out in my other post, you're readable like a book as all humans are. Anyway I think I've made my point and I'd like to say that I don't stand by any insults I've put toward you during the course of the argument. I merely wanted you to recognise that we're all capable of insulting people and taking offence in the heat of the moment. That doesn't make everything we say and do right.

The issue here is how you choose to insult someone: which methods are justifiable and which aren't. A persons race, religion or sexuality are at the top of the 'not' list.

I see what you were trying to do but i wasn't taken in by it even remotely.

I still stand by the comments were not homophobic. We all have different views on things. Doesn't make you right here.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    TYCO wrote: »
    "You however did make yourself look rather daft for reasons i'm sure you won't get. "

Calling me stupid because I called you stupid.

It's been fun, but this is high school stuff.

Woosh i think!

Anyway, yes, its been fun. But i think it's maybe time you pounced on one of the others that disagrees with you now.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    The second thing he said was a bit homophobic. Is anyone actually offended though?

Certain members were rude to another just because he didn't happen to agree with them. I find that more offensive tbh.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    The second thing he said was a bit homophobic. Is anyone actually offended though?

Certain members were rude to another just because he didn't happen to agree with them. I find that more offensive tbh.

Happens a lot on here. Certain members will not brook any dissent and cannot tolerate anyone with an opinion that is different from their own.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wrong thread!
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Is the journalist gay?
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Baldwin's wife was alleged to have been on her phone whilst attending the funeral of the superb US actor James Gandolfini, which if true is disrespectful and classless.

Instead of talking about JG and remembering his fine body of work, we are here talking about some mindless comments from a US actor who is well known to have anger management issues due in part to having a massive ego.

Do we really want to be outraged and offended by the views of someone like that? If so, we are bestowing upon him an importance he really doesn't deserve.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    lemonbun wrote: »
    Is the journalist gay?

Yes he is.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Wheres the poll?, I just want to vote.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stegan wrote: »
    Baldwin's wife was alleged to have been on her phone whilst attending the funeral of the superb US actor James Gandolfini, which if true is disrespectful and classless.

Instead of talking about JG and remembering his fine body of work, we are here talking about some mindless comments from a US actor who is well known to have anger management issues due in part to having a massive ego.

Do we really want to be outraged and offended by the views of someone like that? If so, we are bestowing upon him an importance he really doesn't deserve.

No one seems to be outraged or offended? :confused:

Are you suggesting we just brush homophobia under the carpet out of respect for the guy who played Tony Soprano in a show I could never really get in to?
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    No one seems to be outraged or offended? :confused:

Are you suggesting we just brush homophobia under the carpet out of respect for the guy who played Tony Soprano in a show I could never really get in to, but looked pretty good.

Are you really offended? I'm sure you won't get any sleep tonight thinking about it. You and another poster have been very aggressive and rude on here. I think you should worry about that more.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Are you really offended? I'm sure you won't get any sleep tonight thinking about it. You and another poster have been very aggressive and rude on here. I think you should worry about that more.

No, I'm not. Where have I been very aggressive and rude, please point it out so I can stop it.

Was it where I said Dundee was nice? I can see how that might trouble you. It's not for everyone.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    Yes he is.

why do people think baldwin would even know if this pathetic journalist is gay or not? :confused:
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    why do people think baldwin would even know if this pathetic journalist is gay or not? :confused:

Mainly because he is a showbusiness reporter and people in showbusiness tend to know them?
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I personally think the comments were homophobic. Calling a known gay man a "queen" as an insult and then implying he'd like something shoved up his arse is an attempt to insult by referring to his sexuality when it's irrelevant.

For example, if I didn't like something a black person had said about me, it wouldn't be acceptable for me to make comments about his/her race in return. Instead, I'd deal with what they had said rather than their ethnicity.

However, just because I think it was a homophobic statement, it doesn't mean I think Baldwin is a homophobe. I'm not remotely offended by it either, I'm just answering the question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Utterly homophobic.
    Without question, he has issues there it seems..what the hell was the Daily Mail reporters sexuality got to do with anything?
    and his comment about kicking him up the ass and he would only enjoy it was sick, school boy nastyness. Shame on him.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Yes, they were homophobic. There's no doubt about it. Calling a man a "queen" and implying that he'd enjoy something inserted into his rear can be nothing else. Baldwin is a moron. Every time he says something idiotic, it makes Kim Basinger look better.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homophobic means hating gay people...
    He certainly hates this individual, but while his insult is a indelicate, I don't see where he is attacking all gay people & telling this guy that he is a bad guy because he is gay.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't "a joke". He flew off the handle again. You'd think after the incident with his daughter he'd learn.
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Baldwin's comments come across as homophobic simply because he insulted the writer (and given that he works for the Daily Mail, I use that term loosely) about/for his sexuality rather than disagreeing properly with what he had written.

Whether or not the comments were homophobic aside, they were a completely inappropriate response. The claim made about his wife was not nice, but the appropriate response would have been something like "My wife was not tweeting during the funeral and to suggest so is rude and disrespectful". Instead Baldwin acted in an incredibly rude and immature manner, telling his followers to attack the journalist etc. It's the sort of response you would expect from a teenager or a half-witted Big Brother 'celebrity' rather than an allegedly respectable professional actor in his 50s!
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't care
  • CroftCroft Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe if Serena Williams had made the comments people would have been quicker to make their judgement , what's the difference , oh wait ......
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homophobic no not really, violent, aggressive, bullying yes - then again it's about a gossip "journalist" so he should be able to look after himself. A non story.
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignorant and ill advised? Yes. Homophobic? Not in my opinion.