What Got You Hooked On Dr Who?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
Forum Member
For me it was two things.

First was a Blue Peter annual (1982?) which had a double page spread on Dr Who and included his previous incarnations and a selection of past monsters.

The other was an old copy of the Dr Who Monster Book which I read about a thousand times.

It would have been around 1986 and the Dr Who on the telly never lived up to the visions these two books presented of past glories and wondrous aliens and monsters but I was hooked all the same.

How did you get hooked on Dr Who?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pertwee, and Weetabix cards.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After a nice little warm-up seeing all the Doctors in the 'Five Faces of Doctor Who' repeats in late '81....'Castrovalva' episode 1. Hook. Line. Sinker. :)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I remember reading "Doctor Who Weekly".
    I remember watching "The Key To Time"
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    The fact that it was always on in our house on a Saturday teatime, and there were these amazing stories about scary aliens being battled by a mesmorising curly haired bloke with a long scarf.

First memory I have of it is the monster from Brain of Morbius, I was 3 when it aired.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Purely by accident i had missed the original run having been born in 91 and was totally uninvested in Nu who when it was being revied as i thought for Geeks and Nerds and there was nothing else on one saturday i happened across Aliens of London thought i'd give it a go fell in love with Rose and was immediately hooked :)
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A repeat of The Sea Devils I saw in the afternoon, sat in my parents friends pub.
    They had a 26 inch TV in a wooden cabinet. A big deal in the mid 70's.
    Must have been a repeat as I saw Terror of the Zygons not long after.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was nine. I was feeling ill with a bad headache at my grandmother's house watching television when she decided to put on BBC1. Just starting was the first episode of Series 1; Rose. By the end when it showed the next time trailer of aliens at the end of the world, I was absolutely certain that I would be tuning in the following week. I've been a Whovian ever since, but it wasn't until this year that I decided to watch as much Classic Who as I possibly could.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christopher Eccleston on a big poster outside a petrol station.
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I know I saw McCoy's last seasons when I was a wee nipper, because I remember being scared of The Destroyer and The Ancient One, and I remember The Kandyman.

But what got me hooked was a year or so later. I was on holiday in Spain, and they showed Genesis Of The Daleks. It was in Spanish, and I missed the last part, but I bloody loved it. That Chrimbo my Dad got me Ark In Space and Zygons on video, and there was no turning back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    My Mum telling me how good it was and the advertisement back in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston running down the corridor with fire chasing him. Pretty impressive to a ten year old. Also, the advertisement with Rose saying she had a choice.

Maybe I should've just said the adverts.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I grew up in the 90's mainly so the first I saw of Dr Who was some repeats on BBC 2 evening slots at the end of the 90's.
    I didnt start watching the new ones properly however till about the beginning of series 4, although I had seen some of the specials like when 10 made his entry.
    I suppose the excitement of time travel and advanced tech ect, along with the exciting places that the Doctor visits ect, is what got me hooked.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, tbh. It's always been on since I was little.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    My mum.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Thr first ever episode - I was nine years old at the time, and have watched every episode since ....

I don't have any DVDs of episodes, so just rely on memory and an abiding love of Who.
  • ValeronValeron Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    The original showing of The Sea Devils. I've been hooked ever since.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    my first ones I remember was the end of caves of adrozani and mark of the rani and I remember watching trial of a time lord and the seventh doctor adventures
    I loved the time travel etc
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Hey - I'm an oldie here so far. I remember my dad sitting me on his knee and saying "Look - it's exciting!". It was 1964 and I was watching these dalek things that scared the shit out of me!! Bless my dad - I've watched it ever since! :D:D
  • Paul_Palmer89Paul_Palmer89 Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re runs of Dr Who on BBC in the 90's, followed up by Paul Mcgann in the '96 movie then topped off with the relaunch in '05 :-) hooked for life!
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was the magic of resolving the initial confusion. One of my earliest memories is of wondering how that white room could be in all those different places from week to week.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, I think the moment I was completely sold on it was when the Daleks came out of the sphere at the end of Army of Ghosts. That was when it went from being a tv show that I liked to something different.
  • Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was he monsters that got me hooked. I grew up in the early 70's so my weekly viewing included, Davros, Sontarans, Zygons, Krynoids, Morbius etc.
    At the time there were only 3 channels and video recorders. To me, Doctor Who used to be terrifying but I loved that. there was really nothing else like it on tv.
    As I grew up I started to appreciate the show for its writing, performances and humour as well.
    It's been part of my life forever and I absolutely love it. My life's been so much richer because of the show having been around!
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    I vaguely remember seeing Davison and Colin Baker episodes, though I don't remember having any real feelings about the show back then. It was kind of scary, but nothing more.

For me it was 6th Doctor & Ace when I really started to get into it. I liked the two characters and felt I could relate to them. Sophie Aldred just had a real spark about her and McCoy was lovely. They kind of felt like family, and had such a great rapport. To me it felt like they both really cared about each other in a way I hadn't noticed in Doctor Who before.

So I liked all the sci-fi and the monsters and the TARDIS. I found it terrifying in a good way. But I would say what got me hooked was simply having two likeable main characters that I cared about.

Then they cancelled it.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The very first episode.

I am a golden oldie.

:)
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Russell T Davies (I liked his previous work) so thought I'd give this a go. Loved it.

Not into DW anymore though.
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    Not into DW anymore though.
    So what got you "un-hooked" then?