How come 11 never aged?

Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In let's kill hitler it shows melody age from a kid to a grown up and in the last of the time lords it shows the master as a kid so timelords do age but how come 11 traveled for 300 years and still looked exactly the same

Comments

• Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always imagine they age from child to adult then stop or at least slow down so much they might as well have stopped. :)
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always imagine they age from child to adult then stop or at least slow down so much they might as well have stopped. :)

How does that explain the first doctors age
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder the same thing about Ewen McGregor. Maybe 11's had some work done?
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The First Doctor was over 400 when he regenerated into the Second Doctor, but he looked about 70. This would suggest that Time Lords age at about a sixth of the rate than humans do, which means during that 200 year unscreened period in the Eleventh Doctor's life he should have looked about 33 years older at the end of it, but of course he didn't, so I would imagine that the more generations you have the slower you age.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They must have some sort if control over what they look like, even if its just a little bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    How does that explain the first doctors age
    You never saw him when he was a child. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 got aged 100 years in The Sound of Drums, he looked a tad different after that... I wondered the same about 11 but I think it's one of those things you just allow with Doctor Who :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dizx wrote: »
    10 got aged 100 years in The Sound of Drums, he looked a tad different after that... I wondered the same about 11 but I think it's one of those things you just allow with Doctor Who :p
    I thought he got his Time Lord abilities stopped or something? Not 'aged 100 years'? Could be wrong though. :o
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I thought he got his Time Lord abilities stopped or something? Not 'aged 100 years'? Could be wrong though. :o

Yes his ability to regenerate was suspended by The Master, so his appearance matched his age in years.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    I remember thinking Matt looked a bit older when the Doctor first meets up with Amy, Rory and River in TIA, just before going to his apparent death at Lake Silencio. Then, when they meet him again in the diner, he didn't. I always imagined that was there in support of the eventual explanation: that the Doctor had aged a bit, travelling and avoiding his "death" for a few hundred years.
  • sheffieldersheffielder Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They must have some sort if control over what they look like, even if its just a little bit.

Didn't River make some comment about tweaking her appearance to look a bit younger?
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    In let's kill hitler it shows melody age from a kid to a grown up and in the last of the time lords it shows the master as a kid so timelords do age but how come 11 traveled for 300 years and still looked exactly the same
    Because she's not a Time Lord/Lady/Gallifreyan.

She's a human with the ability to regenerate and who had enough control over her regenerative abilities by the time of her second regeneration to 'take the age down a little' over time. Which was obviously just Moffat's silly/clever way to deal with River looking younger in the library.

But ultimately, she's still a human. So when she was growing up as Mels, there was no reason why she wouldn't have aged at a normal rate.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't River make some comment about tweaking her appearance to look a bit younger?

Yes — partly as a production joke, I think, but it's on the record now.

Regarding ageing in general though, e.g. Michelle Pfeiffer now is pretty much the same age as Hartnell was when the programme began. Go check out a recent photo and be honest: would you have guessed?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fan theory I have is that Age is nothing to a Timelord. They can decide their age as Ageing is a by product of Time. A side effect, if you will. Much like we can control computers but a side effect is that we don't get exercise sitting around and controlling it all day but we can still get the computer to tell us to have breaks every once in a while.

(That explanation sounded so much better in my head. :o )

Still, imagine if no one had vision problems, but people had at some point. Glasses might be taken as a statement or fashion. Perhaps age is to Timelords. I like to think, alongside other things such as clothes and TARDIS interiors, new incarnations of Timelords try out different ages to see what fits their new personality the most. Perhaps 11 decided he would see if being older suited him between episodes, travelled as this for a bit, then got bored and turned back. This could also solve any Multi-Doctor story problems to do with ageing!

11 stays fixed at his age across 200 years and 8 doesn't noticebly age at all across 600 trapped on Orbis. Ageing has already been shown to be incredibly slow on Timelords, if there at all. 2 did say Timelords could live forever barring accidents. Perhaps 1 was only old as he was feeling old? He was getting tired of life and his body reflected this? Plus the Master could 'decide' to be young when he regenerate and River could slowly de-age. And she's only part Timelord! Imagine how quickly a full Timelord could do it! I like to think several hours they can change their age completely.

I mean, what are the chances all the grumpy Timelords were old. ;) It was probably the 'thing' then. Much like the 'thing' now is to have a younger Doctor and perhaps an older Doctor wouldn't cut it today (as some people say). And that is also why Timelords are younger too. Their styles change. It's fashionable to be young this year. ;)

That's my theory anyway. You can choose to ignore it. But if I ever get the opportunity to change the Whoniverse, I will jump at the opportunity to add these changes and fix dilemmas such as these. :cool:

I'm so sad. :(:D
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That makes sense. I seem to remember there are some cut lines from The Invasion of Time where an older looking Time Lord is revealed to be younger than a younger looking one.

I suspect also that 1 wanted to look older so it would make sense he had a Granddaughter.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember there are some cut lines from The Invasion of Time where an older looking Time Lord is revealed to be younger than a younger looking one.
    That wouldn't really mean anything though in terms of aging. Eleven looks a lot younger than the first Doc', but it's the first Doc who's barely out of his teens.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because its a sci fi show and they can do what they want and we don't need to see Matt being made up to look aged.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I think Moffat has always subscribed to the theory that the Doctor doesn't really keep track of his age any more, and more often than not makes it up. So, it's possible that the 1100-year-old Doc isn't actually 200 years older that the 900-year old one after all.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only time the Doctor has been shown to age noticably within an incarnation is when an outside force has aged him.

The Master ageing Doc#10, Doc #4 being aged in (I think) The Leasure Hive, Doc# 5 when he met Doc#10.

While a Timelord probably does age within an incarnation it is obviously only very slowly (apart from possibly the first incarnation where they may age faster).
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I don't think a Time Lord chooses the age he looks after a regeneration any more than he chooses his appearance. He just picks up random features and personalities from each regeneration and his apparent age is just one other random factor.

Maturation and ageing are really two different things. Going from child to adult is not the same as the deterioration of the ageing process so there's no reason why one wouldn't advance according to human norms and the other be extremely slow.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River showed she could control her age in Lets Kill Hitler, managing to still be a young child twenty years after regenerating and keeping herself young enough in order to match her unborn parents age (with her next regeneration's appearance then going onto match her true biological age). Presumably The Doctor can control his body's outer-age as well.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The First Doctor was over 400 when he regenerated into the Second Doctor, but he looked about 70. This would suggest that Time Lords age at about a sixth of the rate than humans do, which means during that 200 year unscreened period in the Eleventh Doctor's life he should have looked about 33 years older at the end of it, but of course he didn't, so I would imagine that the more generations you have the slower you age.

That's assuming a Time Lord would age in a similar fashion to us across their lifespan. As they can live considerably longer than us (even without regenerating), its possible they may remain physically in their prime for a long time.

eg. the first doctor might have had the appearance of a 30-year-old for about 400 years and only started to "decay" in the last 50 years or so.
  • FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Mels aged in a montage. Maybe inbetween headmasters rollockings she was being brainwashed for years by the Silents?