If SEGA released a new console would it be able to rival Xbox and Playstation?

DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been a massive fan of SEGA ever since i got into gaming and if they ever did manage to release another console it would be the best thing ever to happen to the games industry for me.

But would they be able to rival Microsoft's Xbox and Sony's Playstation ? i think it would be very tough but not impossible. For a start they would need to stop any SEGA licensed games being released on Sony and Microsoft's console's.

Even if they released a console that was slightly worse than Microsoft and Sony's stuff i would still buy it over them because of how much i love SEGA.

Shenmue 3 would need to happen :p

What does everyone else think they would need to do ?

By the way i know it's never going to happen but it's the dream and a return of the SEGA and Nintendo rivalry is greatly missed i think :p

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so, i mean apart from sonic and yakuza (is that them?) what games do they have

I could list xbox and PS exclusives of the stop of my head that are good and popular

while sega are more of a once in a while you notice a game is by them
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I don't think so, i mean apart from sonic and yakuza (is that them?) what games do they have

A starting line up of Daytona 2013,Madworld, Sega Rally, Shenmue 3 and maybe a new Virtua Tennis and a new Phantasy star game would get a few buyers.

It would be hard for them to break into the market these days with the competition. I would love a new Sega console but i don't think it would sell well.
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't the Aliens games SEGA as well?
    A strong line up of games is always a must for any new console.
    I think SEGA would have to make sure there's no gimmicks too. Nintendo do well with their "new" ideas but I think SEGA would be more straight up and make it a traditional games machine only and that includes getting rid of any media playback.
    What I would love is for them to use cartridges again. With digital storage getting physically smaller they could put them into cartridges and give it a retro feel that I would love even if they are up to date graphic games :D
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    A starting line up of Daytona 2013,Madworld, Sega Rally, Shenmue 3 and maybe a new Virtua Tennis and a new Phantasy star game would get a few buyers.

It would be hard for them to break into the market these days with the competition. I would love a new Sega console but i don't think it would sell well.

Meh... times and franchises have moved on. Although those names mean something to older gamers, they won't to newer ones brought up on COD and the like.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    It would depend on how good it is and how well it's marketed.

Sega must lack faith in themselves not to have made another one.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Maybe, it would depend if SEGA bust out their IP's or if they'd also bring their PC exclusive games to it to, such as Total Shogun, Football Manager, etc.

They have most areas covered, with the likes of Virtua Fighter, Sonic (which has been on an upward trend the past few games), All Stars Racing, and then older IPs such as Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Streets of Rage, Comix Zone, Golden Axe, Space Channel 5, etc, I mean seriously, look at this list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_video_game_franchises) if they brought back most of them and made them exclusive to their new console, not to mention them now also owning Relic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relic_Entertainment), they'd have possibly one of the stronger first party line up's around, and they are in the good books with Platinum to!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the market is reaching saturation point now, little room for much else.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since Sega stepped out of the console race, they bought up loads of IP and actually have a large selection of games they publish. But Sega also sucks at advertising, and I think they are happy away from that whole console market.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSI-uk wrote: »
    I think the market is reaching saturation point now, little room for much else.

Try telling that to Apple and Valve
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sega would have to patch things up with EA and get the Fifa series out on the system. Personally I feel Sega will never get back into the console business as it's been so long since the dreamcast was released. I would love to be wrong.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try telling that to Apple and Valve

Valve are not making a console, nor are apple going to make on considering the last attempt was a failure.

Valve are just making a more affordable PC really, and the handheld market is different, with apple in the front on phones.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Sega would have to patch things up with EA and get the Fifa series out on the system. Personally I feel Sega will never get back into the console business as it's been so long since the dreamcast was released. I would love to be wrong.

What was the reason for EA not releasing games for the Dreamcast?
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Sega wont take the risk on a new console due to the money it would cost, but i would loce to see the megadrive 3 :)
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member

I think it was down to the Sega CD,32x & Saturn not being successes. They probably thought Dreamcast would follow suit.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    No Sega is a long way from its golden age. a very long way. Their consoles often used off the shelf components that did not work together, even during the hay day. The Xbox is in a way a continuation of the dreamcast,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also EA thought they had a time frame to release for the Saturn and were working towards it. But then Sega changed the Saturn release date and wanted the EA games out for the launch. EA and Sega disagreed and fell out and never launched a single game for Saturn or Dreamcast. Sad end really obviously effected the Dreamcast long term which was a massive shame.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Ignoring the fact that they could not afford to - they no longer have the deep bench of arcade titles to draw from.

If anything they are moving in to being a PC developer (Relic, Sports Interactive, Creative Assembly).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should make a Android retro game stick, like the Ouya and Game Stick, but launch it with a great library of old Sega console games.

Allow it to play new games from the marketplace and it would best anything Ouya and co could do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MS should pay Sega to release Shenmue 3 to finish off the series. Had Shenmue 2 on the original xbox thought it was amazing it makes sense to finish off the series on 360.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I think it was down to the Sega CD,32x & Saturn not being successes. They probably thought Dreamcast would follow suit.

Wasn't it to do with the fact that because Sony had already announced the PlayStation as a September release in north America and so at E3 in 1995 Sega announced that saturn would be released the very day of the presentation

But the problem with that was two things

it was only in select retailers so other companies decided not to stock it and future sega products

and the because of the early launch third party developers didn't have games ready for launch and so lost out of launch period money, some even going so far as boycotting sega hence why EA stopped making games for them
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Most of the great minds behind the many Sega franchises that made the company the legend it is today are fragmented throughout the industry so on the level of reality it won't happen. However in terms of a fantasy console then a Dreamcast 2 could be potentially the greatest thing ever. Screw EA, Sega don't need them, they could release a footy game of their own on the old 2k Sports label (which were always better games to their EA counterparts anyway).

Just look at some of their IP they could resurrect, providing it was handled correctly of course: REZ , Daytona USA, Shenmue 3, Phantasy Star Online 2, Sonic Adventure 3, Shining Force, Virtua Fighter 6, NiGHTS, Sega Rally 4, Skies of Arcadia 2, Fighting Vipers 3, Virtua Tennis, Outrun 3, Valkyria Chronicles, Streets of Rage, Panzer dragoon, Shinobi, Crazy Taxi, Yakuza, Headhunter 3, JSR 3, Sega GT 3.. the list goes on, Sega has some of the best IP out of all companies.

Couple this along with a revised community along the lines of Dreamarena (something the Wii U has kind of borrowed) and an XBLA/VC type service called "Sega Network" which gives us access to many of the classics from the Megadrive/Saturn/Dreamcast and Arcade era (Model 1/2/3/ST-V/Naomi).

It could work if Sega had the right people working for them and had a LOT of money, it's never going to happen but I would certainly buy one even if it didn't turn out be half as exciting as the above.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they could keep up with M$, Sony and Nintendos technology and would always be behind.
  • DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they could keep up with M$, Sony and Nintendos technology and would always be behind.

Keeping up is easy, it's how much it would cost them that would be the problem.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Also EA thought they had a time frame to release for the Saturn and were working towards it. But then Sega changed the Saturn release date and wanted the EA games out for the launch. EA and Sega disagreed and fell out and never launched a single game for Saturn or Dreamcast. Sad end really obviously effected the Dreamcast long term which was a massive shame.

EA released several games for the Saturn.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    It's a shame they dreamcast bombed as it was one of the best consoles out there at the time and had some great games. Unfortunately they failed to deliver on the online side of things at launch, and games were easily pirated by anyone with a burnable cd drive.