Samantha Mumba is back

MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well kind of...she appeared on Irish show "The Hit" tonight where two artists go head-to-head in the charts by picking a song to record from a selection of aspiring songwriters.
Samantha chose a song called "Somebody Like Me" which is surprisingly available on UK iTunes if anyone wants it;

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/somebody-like-me/id687552897?i=687553258

Here is a soundcloud link to the song;
https://soundcloud.com/bangbeat/somebody-like-me-samantha

With proper up-to-date production, I actually think this would be quite a strong song. It reminds me of something Leona might do.

Comments

• mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprisingly good. A bit more soulful than you might expect from Samantha Mumba. She has had comeback chances before, she shouldn't waste this one. She's kept her looks I notice.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Sure she's only about 30-32 , no kids etc why wouldn't she have kept her looks?

She was so over hyped the first time round I would like to see her do something good now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    I thought she looked great!! She also came across as quite well spoken and intelligent in the interview segments. I notice off the back of this she has scheduled a gig in Dublin. She sounded good too (though everyone on this show mimes until the final) but the song was repetitive. I think it should be enough to win her this heat and get her to the final. Apparently, now don't get too excited, but Eurovision has been mentioned to her. Wouldn't that be fun!! Though as far as I am aware no form offer has been made.Apparently she starts to film a musical early next year too.
    Forum Member
    Its not on Youtube yet but here is the link to the performance from the RTE player:

http://www.rte.ie/player/gb/show/10190650/

Just skip to the last quarter of the show.
  • BigDuckBigDuck Posts: 4,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a nice track.

Sadly, I don't think it'll make waves in the UK, but it'd be cool if she did have a musical comeback!
    Forum Member
    BigDuck wrote: »
    It's a nice track.

Sadly, I don't think it'll make waves in the UK, but it'd be cool if she did have a musical comeback!

Oh it wont be aimed at the UK at all. Cant see her promoting it. Its for the Irish market only, off the back of this TV show. However, it could kick start something. I don't see her getting another major label on board and I don't see her actively seeking it. Without that, the only way i can see her having an international relaunch is on something like Eurovision or if this musical she is involved with is a hit and she is made an offer from that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Samantha Mumba is back...

...I'd take that as a threat rather than a promise etc.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ooh I'd love Sam to do eurovision!
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    ooh I'd love Sam to do eurovision!

The hit seems like it would be a good format for a Eurovision selection show got to be better than Eurosong in a dodgy studio anyway.

I really liked that and Samantha can really sing too :).
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like Brandy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    The hit seems like it would be a good format for a Eurovision selection show got to be better than Eurosong in a dodgy studio anyway.

I really liked that and Samantha can really sing too :).

The Hit format would be ideal for a eurovision selection process alright...in fact, it seems like it was made for it!

That_Guy wrote: »
    Sounds like Brandy!

Sam's voice has really matured. It sounds a lot more husky and soulful, as mentioned.
    Forum Member
    I have no idea why RTE continually shunt Eurosong onto the Late Late Show and then put effort into the likes of The Hit and Voice of Ireland. Eurosong out rates both of these shows!! Why not just put it into a proper production? They say its because of budget but they can afford to hire the 02 and the Helix for these shows...sounds like pure laziness to me. Last time there was an actual Eurosong final not on The Late Late show was 2008!!
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show sounds weird but nice track.
    Forum Member
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    The song is nothing special, but I'm glad to see her back. She looks amazing too. I don't think she's ever looked better tbh.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the song is ok, her voice sounds good though and the song is doing rather well on itunes in ireland.:eek: "gotta tell you" remains amazing, not the dreadful remix from 2008 though.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    That chorus is awful, just the same line repeated over and over. Noticeably repetitive too, instead of Get Lucky-style repetition which works well (that was the first song that popped into my head, by the way).

Like her voice though, and her early stuff was classic. Shame she's so arrogant and lazy, that documentary she had years ago where she wanted to restart her career really turned me off her. Hopefully she's grown up a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shoot wrote: »
    That chorus is awful, just the same line repeated over and over. Noticeably repetitive too, instead of Get Lucky-style repetition which works well (that was the first song that popped into my head, by the way).

Like her voice though, and her early stuff was classic. Shame she's so arrogant and lazy, that documentary she had years ago where she wanted to restart her career really turned me off her. Hopefully she's grown up a bit.

I think she's ate a whole lot of humble pie since;)

Sammy knows she has to start from rock bottom and she seems to be putting in the ground work
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Never listened to any of her albums, but Body 2 Body and Gotta Tell You were fantastic pop songs :D
    Forum Member

I dont like the song either but its not dreadful by any means. She looks and sounds good. Its a good public showcase for her though that COULD lead onto better material and maybe even a record deal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is that documentary any where online?

Cheers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Did a quick Google and couldn't find any clips. It was called "Harvey Goldsmith: Get Your Act Together", she had her own episode where he was trying to help her restart her career.

It might pop up on 4OD at some point maybe?
    Forum Member
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Never listened to any of her albums, but Body 2 Body and Gotta Tell You were fantastic pop songs :D

And Always come back to your love!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did a quick Google and couldn't find any clips. It was called "Harvey Goldsmith: Get Your Act Together", she had her own episode where he was trying to help her restart her career.

It might pop up on 4OD at some point maybe?

Thanks anyway. Will keep an eye out for it :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow. Landed at #5 on the Irish singles chart. Major achievement considering she is returning from pop oblivion and it was an on air on sale release too following a TV performance.