Aaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh Flickr!

What have they done to the site! They've taken the simple thumbnails view of search results and replaced it with some god-awful mess that continuously loads images as you scroll down the page, called "justified". Even Ctrl-End won't save you from the bloody thing. Why do developers do this? Take something that worked perfectly fine and just screw it up:mad::mad:

Comments

• bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have to agree

i'm not a fan of the new look
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've 'Facebookerised' it all... I can handle the look/design however the fact that it now stalls/slows/falls over at the least thing on an 8mb connection is much more of a problem.

Is wasn't broken, they didn't need to fix it... Part of me wonders if they've spruced it up with a mind to sell in light of the Tumblr deal...
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I don't know why they changed it. What was wrong with the old style? If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why they changed it. What was wrong with the old style? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I can only think that it's to attract more new members. As a long time Pro user I was more than happy with the simple, working, format...

Attract newbies, bump up the numbers, increase potential sale value. Tumblr cost 1.1 billion so it wouldn't surprise me if Yahoo are keeping their options open.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You've got to keep changing websites. Those designers and developers have to be doing something to justify their pay :)
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not used Flickr but Yahoo seem to have form in major revamps that piss people off (e.g., Yahoo Groups). They should road-test preferably small changes first and allow for interim feedback before settling on a final design.

Google are quite good at this approach and even they still piss people off, though not to the same extent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not used Flickr but Yahoo seem to have form in major revamps that piss people off (e.g., Yahoo Groups). They should road-test preferably small changes first and allow for interim feedback before settling on a final design.

Google are quite good at this approach and even they still piss people off, though not to the same extent.

Can't keep everyone happy, though. The new site will have been tested but I doubt their test group even gets out of the US and even then is probably not broad enough but hey ho. It's their baby, they'll do what they want and users will vote with their feet. Yahoo also have a track record of killing sites they've purchased...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I think Flickr was long overdue for a UI change. It looked very dated and there really wasn't enough focus on pictures on the homepage. Tiny thumbnails and swathes of white space. It wasn't a nice site to look at.

Whilst I don't think the new design is perfect (I'd prefer to not have to scroll down to see description/metadata information on individual photo pages, for example), I do think it's a big improvement on what was there before.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have been using this since 2007 and am one of the ones who actually prefer the change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Can't keep everyone happy, though. The new site will have been tested but I doubt their test group even gets out of the US

I had in mind running the classic UI along with the new one for a period of time and then gradually refining the new one in the light of feedback, until it's good enough. Did they do that?

I know you can never please everyone with UI changes but at least try not to piss off too many. :)
    Yahoo also have a track record of killing sites they've purchased...

I used to use FoxyTunes and it was pretty good for a while and then got steadily worse - features not working, poor usability - after Yahoo bought it. Then I just gave up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had in mind running the classic UI along with the new one for a period of time and then gradually refining the new one in the light of feedback, until it's good enough. Did they do that?

Nope. Well, I certainly didn't experience any cross-over of UIs at all. It was probably all 'tested' behind closed doors (not literally, but with a limited focus group)...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Nope. Well, I certainly didn't experience any cross-over of UIs at all.

So, they failed to learn from their Yahoo Groups disaster! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, they failed to learn from their Yahoo Groups disaster! :eek:

I think they wrecked Delicious before the Yahoo groups debacle... quite possibly amongst others. They've bought 9 other sites in the past 9 months and have a long history of buying others and doing various things with them. They bought Summly in March and then just killed it, I think with a mind to incorporate some of the stuff they did into the actual Yahoo site... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Yahoo!
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new style has brought me back to Flickr. (well that and the 1TB :) ) Its modern and snazzy. The old interface was boring and dated.