Do Cults still exist?

Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,054
Forum Member
✭✭
I was watching Most Evil earlier and it was about Cult followers. It concentrated on the main ones such as The Manson Family and Jonestown. I would assume some exist, think I've heard of one called 'The Family', but are they on a lesser scale and less dangerous? Do you think we're ever going to have anything like a Jonestown or Waco disaster again?

Comments

• johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Yes.

Come join our teacher, he will deliver you to salvation and you will live forever in peace and harmony.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    As Scientology is still going, yes.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scientology, the Family, there are still some Aum Shinrikyo kicking about, the Raelians, I think the SES are still going...

...there are tons of the buggers.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are any of them dangerous though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »

At the risk of repeating myself-

Scientology, the Family, there are still some Aum Shinrikyo kicking about, the Raelians, I think the SES are still going...

To be fair, though, I think the Raelians are fairly harmless. When I used to work for *major comics retailer* in the 90s we had a stall at the Fortean Times UnConvention- one year we were sandwiched in between the Church of the SubGenius and the Raelians.

The SubGenius were definitely more fun, and the Raelians weirder, but I don't think they tend to make a habit of f*cking with people's lives as much as many others.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Islam can be
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most of them are dangerous to your wallet. ;)

Although I wouldn't see any of the big cults we have today as martyristic (hmm I may have made that word up :p), I don't think it's outside the realms of possibility that there will be some in the future.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I work for one. Oh, sorry, you said cults.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Christianity etc were referred to as cults when they began

they got power and control and influence unfortunately
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of them are dangerous to your wallet. ;)

Although I wouldn't see any of the big cults we have today as martyristic (hmm I may have made that word up :p), I don't think it's outside the realms of possibility that there will be some in the future.

It's usually the more eschatological cults that are prone to mass suicides and the like- because something like Scientology doesn't preach an afterlife, or have an apocalypse story, it's unlikely that kind of thing would ever be an issue.

Doesn't stop 'em being dangerous, though- (again, using CoS as an example) Google Lisa McPherson, or Operation Snow White. Or Shawn Lonsdale.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remeber the cult in Brookside
  • AJ21AJ21 Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the westboro baptist church are a cult. - I hate them, they are nasty evil people
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJ21 wrote: »
    the westboro baptist church are a cult. - I hate them, they are nasty evil people

Finally we agree on something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    It's usually the more eschatological cults that are prone to mass suicides and the like- because something like Scientology doesn't preach an afterlife, or have an apocalypse story, it's unlikely that kind of thing would ever be an issue.

Doesn't stop 'em being dangerous, though- (again, using CoS as an example) Google Lisa McPherson, or Operation Snow White. Or Shawn Lonsdale.

Yeah I'm well aware of CoS, their methods and endless bollox. :mad: Do they still have to do boat duty? I'm sure thems were good times (for Hubbard). ;)
    Forum Member
    Yeah I'm well aware of CoS, their methods and endless bollox. :mad: Do they still have to do boat duty? I'm sure thems were good times (for Hubbard). ;)

Yeah, the Sea Org is still going strong, I'm afraid :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think so, though I know the Freewinds got busted for being full of asbestos about three years back... not sure what the upshot of that was, but the Sea Org definitely still exists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    Yeah, the Sea Org is still going strong, I'm afraid :(
    stoatie wrote: »
    I think so, though I know the Freewinds got busted for being full of asbestos about three years back... not sure what the upshot of that was, but the Sea Org definitely still exists.

Pfft, I'd love to be cynical and say you reap what you sow, but all I think of when I hear about that is John Denver singing Calypso. So another reason to hate it. :D
  • cudzndripscudzndrips Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Scientology is not a cult though it's a proper religion!
    Forum Member
    cudzndrips wrote: »

Sure it is... :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Scientology is a proper religion in the same way that Battlefield Earth is a decent novel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to think of scientology, the FLDS, and some similar sects as cults. Most religious groups are not cults, but there are a few, like the FLDS, who have a lot of cult-like aspects about them.
  • Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    All religions fall under the description of a cult. That's why they're all so bloody dangerous.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Made up by a science fiction writer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christianity etc were referred to as cults when they began

they got power and control and influence unfortunately

Christianity as a whole is not a cult. Certain groups may be. Unfortunately sometimes evil people use religion to control other people. However, most Christian churches don't really have many cultlike qualities. Cults are usually closed societies and control every aspect of a person's life. Most Christian churches are not that way.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Leanna1989 wrote: »
    Christianity as a whole is not a cult. Certain groups may be. Unfortunately sometimes evil people use religion to control other people. However, most Christian churches don't really have many cultlike qualities. Cults are usually closed societies and control every aspect of a person's life. Most Christian churches are not that way.

a minority only
    maybe
    and that's when they are liberal