Galaxy 10.1 Note v Galaxy 10" pad

shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
Forum Member
✭✭✭
At the risk of sounding stupid, what is the difference?

I am seriously considering buying a 10" tablet and love the Samsung style as I currently have a Galaxy 2 mobile phone.

I have read on other topics something about "tethering". What does this mean? I pay for 3G internet on my Galaxy 2 phone, can I transfer some of this to the pad, is that what "tethering" means?

I dont want an ipad so please dont let this topic stray off into ipad land.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tethering - Tethering is where you can turn your Galaxy S2 phone into a portable wireless router/hotspot using your 3G allowance.

Do you mean the Tab 10.1 or Tab 2 10.1?
  • shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Tethering - Tethering is where you can turn your Galaxy S2 phone into a portable wireless router/hotspot using your 3G allowance.

Do you mean the Tab 10.1 or Tab 2 10.1?

How do you do that, turn the phone into a wireless router for the tablet?

When you ask if I mean the Tab 10.1 or the Tab 2 10.1 erm sorry, I dont know, I thought there was the latest Galaxy Note 10.1 (which is a tablet,right?) and the Galaxy 10.1 Tablet - are they not just different models of a 10" Galaxy tablet? I have never heard of a Tab 2 10.1 :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tab 2 10.1 = A 'budget version' of the Galaxy Note 10.1...
    Tab 10.1 = Last years model 'Thinner than the Tab 2 10.1 and with a Camera Flash. Though it has no Jelly Bean and a slightly worse processor. £199 at Argos.

To turn on tethering:
    Tap Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks >Portable Wi-Fi hotspot
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tab 10.1 = Last years model 'Thinner than the Tab 2 10.1 and with a Camera Flash. Though it has no Jelly Bean and a slightly worse processor. £199 at Argos.

To turn on tethering:
    Tap Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks >Portable Wi-Fi hotspo
    t

BIB: Do I do this on my phone? I dont have the option for "portable WiFi hotspot" but I DO have "tethering and portable hotspot settings" is this the one you mean?

Re the first part of your reply......so are you saying that the better tablet is the Galaxy Note 10.1? Is there only one version of the Galaxy Note 10.1?

Many thanks, as you can see I'm no expert lol!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB: Do I do this on my phone? I dont have the option for "portable WiFi hotspot" but I DO have "tethering and portable hotspot settings" is this the one you mean?

Re the first part of your reply......so are you saying that the better tablet is the Galaxy Note 10.1? Is there only one version of the Galaxy Note 10.1?

Many thanks, as you can see I'm no expert lol!

No problem :)

Yes, that's the correct setting, it will vary.

And yes, the Note 10.1 is better in terms of specs (and only has one version) but it depends on what you want a tablet for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I travel a lot so I'm looking for something lightweight and portable and for web bowsing from home, I dont do gaming but use my laptop massively for general internet research/info/forums etc. This laptop is ok but nearing the end of its life. I know a tablet wont replace the laptop but I reckon the laptop will stay alive much longer if I have a tablet for everyday browsing (well, thats my excuse, really I just sooooooo want a tablet)

Can you get a keyboard for the Note? I saw one on display in my local Currys sort of in a stand with a keyboard but dont know if it was the Galaxy Note 10.1 or another Galaxy 10" tablet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I travel a lot so I'm looking for something lightweight and portable and for web bowsing from home, I dont do gaming but use my laptop massively for general internet research/info/forums etc. This laptop is ok but nearing the end of its life. I know a tablet wont replace the laptop but I reckon the laptop will stay alive much longer if I have a tablet for everyday browsing (well, thats my excuse, really I just sooooooo want a tablet)

Can you get a keyboard for the Note? I saw one on display in my local Currys sort of in a stand with a keyboard but dont know if it was the Galaxy Note 10.1 or another Galaxy 10" tablet

Maybe it was a Bluetooth Keyboard.

If that's what you want a tablet for I recommend the Asus Transformer TF300. It has a detachable keyboard + trackpad included (transforms into a netbook, that can close) and is a far better tablet from a far better company. It's still quad-core and will probably be faster, due to the lack of TouchWiz. Asus are far better as far as updates are concerned also.

I hate Samsung because they won't update a one year old tablet and it took 7 months to release an update Asus customers got 5 months earlier. I also think there phones are junk.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-transformer-pad-tf300-t-tablet-pc-with-docking-station-13657744-pdt.html

This tablet also has far better cameras.

Glad to help :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) thanks so much for that, i followed the link and it does look and sound appealing. I see it has android does that mean all the apps in the google play store are available?

I am not too bothered about the camera as i am very happy with the one on my galaxy s2 phone.

I noticed it only has 1g of ram, think the samsungs had 2 would that be a problem?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) thanks so much for that, i followed the link and it does look and sound appealing. I see it has android does that mean all the apps in the google play store are available?

I am not too bothered about the camera as i am very happy with the one on my galaxy s2 phone.

I noticed it only has 1g of ram, think the samsungs had 2 would that be a problem?

Yes, it will have the Play store and all the Android apps you want.

It won't be a problem. The Note 10.1 is probably the first tablet with 2GB of Ram and it really isn't necessary. The lowest my tablet has ever gotten to is 204mb of memory free and that was with around 12 apps open.

There's also the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity which is coming out later this year with a 1080p screen and better battery (it's up to you whether you need it or not or want to wait)...

The Asus Transformer Pad's keyboard dock also extends the battery life to around 14-15 hours and charges the tablets battery while you use it :)

The 8MP 1080p camera is actually pretty decent.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To turn on tethering:
    Tap Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks >Portable Wi-Fi hotspot

argos had these advertised at half price (ie 199 was half price) i have been checking to try to get one, but none available locally. in the end i managed to find a 32gb one for more money slightly further away which i have reserved, but the offers appear to have finished now.

the galaxy pad 2, is currently 299, but with £50 cash back if you buy before sunday - samsung direct redeemable, making it 249.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) thanks again, both of you.

If I went for the Asus would I still be able to tether it to my galaxy S2 wifi?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) thanks again, both of you.

If I went for the Asus would I still be able to tether it to my galaxy S2 wifi?

Yes. You could even tether a laptop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) great, thanks so much for your clear answers, I'll no doubt be back with more questions but, for now, I feel far better informed, cheers!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another (possibly daft) question. Could I use a good quality pen/stylus thingy for inputting text on forums? Also does it have voice recognition so you can talk your post rather than type it?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno about styluses but everything running up to date versions of Android (inc the Asus tablets) allow you to use voice recognition instead of typing. It works pretty well on the whole, particularly for sentences. Struggles a but for proper nouns or words on their ow ln though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another (possibly daft) question. Could I use a good quality pen/stylus thingy for inputting text on forums? Also does it have voice recognition so you can talk your post rather than type it?

You might be able to buy a Keyboard app that allows a stylus to input text. Wacom is a good brand.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a galaxy tab 2 10.1 and I bought a cheap stylus. It works fine. You can use it for most things. Another thing to note is that if you decide to go for the tab, the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 will be getting updated to jelly bean, but the original galaxy tab will not get the update.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a galaxy tab 2 10.1 and I bought a cheap stylus. It works fine. You can use it for most things. Another thing to note is that if you decide to go for the tab, the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 will be getting updated to jelly bean, but the original galaxy tab will not get the update.

Already said. I don't know why they aren't updating it.

That's why I suggested Asus (better company).
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Already said. I don't know why they aren't updating it.

That's why I suggested Asus (better company).

I won't buy another Asus product. I bought a netbook a few years back and it developed a fault with the motherboard after 7 months. They tried to get out of replacing it under the warranty. The quality of the device just wasn't very good either, the keys got sticky, one of the USB ports stopped working. Rather go with samsung:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't buy another Asus product. I bought a netbook a few years back and it developed a fault with the motherboard after 7 months. They tried to get out of replacing it under the warranty. The quality of the device just wasn't very good either, the keys got sticky, one of the USB ports stopped working. Rather go with samsung:)

I suppose everybody has different experiences. Asus are by the the most reliable laptop brand in some tests beating Apple (statistically). I would probably only buy an Asus tablet.

Did you use Email support? There phone support is far better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) I'm back.

Will the Galaxy Samsung 10.1 Note be upgradable to Jelly Bean?

Also what exactly IS Jelly Bean? I've read in What PC magazine that it has some sort of great keyboard, what else are the benefits of it?

I went and had a look yesterday at the ASUS TF300, is that the one you were talking about Mr Cool? I likes the keyboard/docking station but wasn't keen on the whole look of the thing, navy blue and a bit nondescript. I suppose its stupid to care about the look, the performance etc should be most important but I do love the look of the white galaxy 10.1 Note
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D been doing loads more research and I'm being swayed towards the ASUS again.

Another question: Is the Asus TF300 the same model as the Asus TF300t?

Is there a stylus that is particularly compatible with this model? (I know it has a detachable keyboard/docking station but still would be interested in a decent stylus for when I'm using it without the keyboard)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, is it possible to buy a keyboard that the Galaxy Note will clip into, like the T300's docking station?
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Also, is it possible to buy a keyboard that the Galaxy Note will clip into, like the T300's docking station?

The TF keyboard is much more than just a keyboard to be honest. I have the TF101 and the keyboard is:

1) a keyboard (obviously)
    2) a touchpad
    3) A stand
    4) a screen protector (clamshell)
    5) an extended battery - i can even use it to charge my phone while tethering !!!
    6) extra connectivity/card slots

i know other pads have various keyboard options but the transformer series takes this to another level ....