Retro Gaming

Mr_MoogleMr_Moogle Posts: 487
Forum Member
So recently I bought a Sega Megadrive from Argos to relive my youth. It is amazing... and I am thinking of getting into retro games consoles and add a NES or SNES to my collection.

Are there any other retro gamers here? There is is so much to discuss!

Comments

• akhenatenakhenaten Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although i have'nt played it yet i bought a nintendo64 with some games, and i think i am going to get a gamecube, there are so many retro games to play, that i am thinking about cancelling my ps4 pre-order.
  • cosmicsoupcosmicsoup Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I used to be an avid retro gamer, but sold most of my consoles a few years ago due to lack of space. I miss alien vs predator and Tempest 2000 on my Atari Jaguar most. Never had a NES but used to love playing Shadowrun on the SNES.

Although newer than the consoles you've mentioned I'd recommend buying a Sega Dreamcast, which in my opinion was a fantastic console that was under supported. Playing Shenmue 1 & 2 shows it at its best.

Conkers Bad Fur day and Pikmin were brilliant titles on the Gamecube.

The only 'console' I've kept is the Philips Cdi and a copy of Zelda's Adventure (a really rare, but terrible game which I bought for £2).

I envy you starting out in the retro gaming scene. You've got loads to look forwrd to. I still check out abandonia for retro pc games.
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Have owned most computers/consoles as I was a 70s kid and now have a modded original Xbox with tons of retro games including arcade. Lots of fun and there's something to be said about games having simple controls.
    It was certainly a more exciting time as the wheel was being invented and so much variety
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing like having the original consoles. but there are usually cool devices like Everdrive and SD2snes and the like now, so you can play even the stupidly hard to find or crazy expensive games on the console as they were supposed to be played.

Also most older Pal consoles deffo need 50/60hz mod's where applicable and or US or JAP copies of the Games( and there are translation patches for many Jap games).
    Forum Member
    cosmicsoup wrote: »
    I used to be an avid retro gamer, but sold most of my consoles a few years ago due to lack of space. I miss alien vs predator and Tempest 2000 on my Atari Jaguar most. Never had a NES but used to love playing Shadowrun on the SNES.

Although newer than the consoles you've mentioned I'd recommend buying a Sega Dreamcast, which in my opinion was a fantastic console that was under supported. Playing Shenmue 1 & 2 shows it at its best.

The only 'console' I've kept is the Philips Cdi and a copy of Zelda's Adventure (a really rare, but terrible game which I bought for £2).

I envy you starting out in the retro gaming scene. You've got loads to look forwrd to. I still check out abandonia for retro pc games.

Ah I loved the CDi, especially loved the music on a dinosaur game (Lost Eden?)
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    I love retro gaming.

Was thinking about picking up a neo geo soon.

Turf masters
    samurai showdown
    Wind Jammers
    Fatal fury
    Metal slug
    Magician lord
    King of the fighters

So many good games.....
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Mr_Moogle wrote: »
    So recently I bought a Sega Megadrive from Argos to relive my youth. It is amazing... and I am thinking of getting into retro games consoles and add a NES or SNES to my collection.

My advice would be to go out and buy a Nintendo Wii. It'll save you a bunch of money considering how much the likes of SNES, Sega and NES consoles cost nowadays (40+ quid from Argos the Sega I take it?).

You can pick up a Wii for about 40 quid (Think I got mine for about 50ish near on brand new on E-Bay). What you ultimatley get is a Wii, NES, SNES, Sega, Gameboy, Gamegear, Atari and even some PS1/N64. Couple that with the fact that you never need to buy a single game for those either.

On the topic though, funilly enough had some time on my hands last week and polished it off and started playing again. Zelda, Teenage Mutant Ninja Tutles, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, California Games, James Pond and some of the other obvious one's. I'd forgotten how hard some of the ******'s are!
    Forum Member
    JMTD wrote: »
    My advice would be to go out and buy a Nintendo Wii. It'll save you a bunch of money considering how much the likes of SNES, Sega and NES consoles cost nowadays (40+ quid from Argos the Sega I take it?).

You can pick up a Wii for about 40 quid (Think I got mine for about 50ish near on brand new on E-Bay). What you ultimatley get is a Wii, NES, SNES, Sega, Gameboy, Gamegear, Atari and even some PS1/N64. Couple that with the fact that you never need to buy a single game for those either.

On the topic though, funilly enough had some time on my hands last week and polished it off and started playing again. Zelda, Teenage Mutant Ninja Tutles, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, California Games, James Pond and some of the other obvious one's. I'd forgotten how hard some of the ******'s are!

Yes. no hiding while your energy replenishes in those days!
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmicsoup wrote: »

Conker was a N64 game, and then a 'reloaded' version came out on the Xbox... which I bought, it's brilliant!
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    The Wii is a good shout.

I've recently been playing Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap. Played it originally on the Sega Master System, it's still a fantastic little game.

Commando too, although it's called something slightly different in the Nintendo store. Great fun.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would ave them but emulaors are a bit better I think. i have an old win 98 computer that was custom built but I barely play it to be honest no time.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good to go back to older games. I have quite a few downloaded onto the Wii and bought some PSone games from PS store :)
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting into some retro gaming at the moment

Great video, because this guy is about my age, i remember many of the games that are mentioned

It's a long 2 hour video

Think of it, as a trip down arcade video game history
    Starting from just before Space Invaders

I found my old memories being triggered.

Slippers on... grab a cup of tea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCw_Qz0Xhl0&list=PL5347B3A3BC92E664
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Moogle wrote: »

I'd go for a Wii (but make sure it's an older version), that way u can play GameCube games on it as well as being able to download lots of older games from the Wii shop. Nes, Snes, Megadrive and the like. The downside with going after Gamecube games is the high cost of some of them. I recently bought Mario Kart double dash, Mario Golf toadstool tour and a few others that cost me a small fortune but they are worth it imo.
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the aspects of retro games that makes them great, is there accessibility. The vast majority of them, you just pick up the controller and play, immediately getting into the game. No in-depth tutorials and tons of buttons to remember. Lot of that came from the acrade heritage of Sega & Nintendo where games had to be accessible and addictive to make you part with your cash down at the arcades.
  • VegetaVegeta Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's quite a few classics on the Snes. Try and get hold of Secret of Mana, Its my all time favourite RPG
  • VegetaVegeta Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »

what you mean? surely you still need to pay to download them
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Vegeta wrote: »
    what you mean? surely you still need to pay to download them

Of course not.

But we can't really discuss it properly in an open forum like this for the obvious reasons of it being illegal :p (PM me if you need info)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Retro Action. (Car based driver / shooter)

Once upon a time, there was a game called: Interstate '76
    It rocked, with one of the best video game soundtracks i've ever heard, and very fitting
    for the game

A good modern remake that stays true to the original would be awesome !!

http://www.interstate76.com/

There is a way of getting it running on modern PC's as well

http://interstate76.wikia.com/wiki/Fixes_%26_Tweaks
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the idea of getting a few retro consoles, but then I'd have to get an old CRT TV to play them on as they all look rough as all hell on an HDTV.

There's a shop not too far from me which sells SNES, N64 and GameCubes at a reasonable price.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decathlon on Atari 8 bit / 65XE

It's Steve Benway's commentary on this retro game that has me rolling on the floor laughing :D:D

Very entertaining

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgsITie1b28
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I have a Game Boy emulator on my Mac and I still have all my old Game Boy Advance and Color games. I play them once in a while. I also play a lot of retro games on my Mac's Windows partition (it's the reason I have Windows on my Mac :p). I managed to get them to work on Windows 7. Sometimes older games are better than newer ones :D
  • RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I been into retro 2D shmups for the last couple of years. I actually picked up both thunder force 3 and 4 on my megadrive. The next two i need to get is gaiares and truxton. I have also been playing a few on the ps2, the taito legends 2 collection has some amazing shmups on it, the goat of shmups darius gaiden and other awesome shooters like g darius and metal black ( which has one of the best soundtracks i ever heard btw ). I also got the gunbird collection which i not played properly yet and gradius 5. I have finally set up mame this week for that sole reason too. I got a few old school cave/toaplan and 8ing shooters. I hope to build a good collection, though finding a working rom is a nightmare at times.

On another note though, has anyone played alundra on the ps1? I am considering downloading this off psn. I did have it on the ps1 back in the day, but always quit after an hour