Microsoft rumoured to be considering buying Nokia

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Nokia could end up being taken over by Microsoft. These sort of rumours aren't new but perhaps it will happen this time.

This has probably been part off Microsoft's plan for a while.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/25705/Nokia_shares_rise_after_Microsoft_takeover_chatter.aspx

Comments

• davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Microsoft - Connecting people :D
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i follow nokia on reuters. the rumour has certainly inflated their share price.
    http://uk.reuters.com/business/quotes/overview?symbol=NOK1V.HE

The first rumour this week was about Huawei
    Chinese network equipment and cellphone maker Huawei Technologies Co said it "has no plans to acquire Nokia", responding to a Financial Times report that it would consider buying the Finish phone maker.

The denial came from Huawei's vice president for external affairs, Bill Plummer.

The story on the FT website on Tuesday had quoted the head of Huawei's consumer business, Richard Yu, as saying: "We are considering these sorts of acquisitions; maybe the combination has some synergies but depends on the willingness of Nokia. We are open-minded."

Which seems to contradict itself.

Then MS:
    Microsoft Corp recently talked with Nokia about buying the Finnish phone maker's devices unit, but the discussions faltered and are not likely to be revived, the Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday in its online edition.

Nokia's share price would be around €2.40 (some analysts say €5,) if they did nothing. as in the value of their IP portfolio and revenue from mapping.

there is also the profitable low to mid range business.

it's the loss making high end bit that is the unknown.
    They said there was no contradiction between a resurfacing of M&A talk and some signs that Nokia might recover from a mauling by rivals Samsung and Apple in the key smartphone segment in recent years.

"The company's not in a crisis like it was a year ago. That makes Nokia now more likely to be a target of merger or acquisition," said Mikael Rautanen, an analyst at equities research firm Inderes.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it happens hopefully for my little nokia asha, microsoft will develop the sort of apps that currently available for a iphone and android.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.wpcentral.com/wsj-microsoft-and-nokia-were-close-buyout-deal

Microsoft and Nokia were in advanced discussions about a Redmond purchase of the Finnish phone maker, but the talks have failed to materialize an agreement.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Well Nokia are using Windows Phone for their smartphones rather than Android so maybe that has something to do with it?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    http://www.wpcentral.com/wsj-microsoft-and-nokia-were-close-buyout-deal

Microsoft and Nokia were in advanced discussions about a Redmond purchase of the Finnish phone maker, but the talks have failed to materialize an agreement.
    Citing “people familiar with the matter” the online paper notes that discussions eventually broke down due to “the price and Nokia's own strategic predicament”.

That was probably a lucky escape for Microsoft and they have an unfortunate track record in respect of "cell phones" - just google Microsoft Kin where you can read about an epic fail. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it would be a real mistake any company to buy out Nokia, I just know their quality, innovation and beauty will not be retained if something like this does go forward
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with owning a company is that you ave to ave a commitment to the employees.
    Nokia is Finnish based and I imagine long term Finnish jobs was the sticking point,

Sadly, if they were British I get the impression the owners would take the cash and run.
  • Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member
    Well Nokia are using Windows Phone for their smartphones rather than Android so maybe that has something to do with it?

this agreement was from years ago where by Nokia who were ailing at the time, got paid by Microsoft, who needed companies to pick up its smart phone os, to develop on their operating system exclusively. Win win.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The problem with owning a company is that you ave to ave a commitment to the employees.
    Nokia is Finnish based and I imagine long term Finnish jobs was the sticking point,

Sadly, if they were British I get the impression the owners would take the cash and run.

Any evidence to support that at all?
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    News today that Nokia directors have been called to an, apparently, unscheduled board meeting next Wednesday. Of course, it could be nothing of note.
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey Google go and buy bloody Nokia!
    Forum Member
    daclick wrote: »
    Hey Google go and buy bloody Nokia!

They wouldn't be allowed. they are already dominant in the phone market.

A ore likely candidate would be apple. Nokia have a load of IP they could use in their war with android. Nokia have some skills that apple don't. and it would sort out their mapping problems.

but i don't see that they would be allowed either.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of buying Nokia too, but I prefer Android phones.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Any evidence to support that at all?
    No big UK electronic companies now exist. Opinion but am sure Microsoft wanted the brand name more than the workforce.

Competition is also likely to mean that Microsoft will want to head the Apple way of having no manufacturing base.
    I mildly wonder Acer speaking out against RT was an anti purchase statement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nothing to do with it, thanks to Windows Phone they are finally starting to make some progress after many years!
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Nothing to do with it, thanks to Windows Phone they are finally starting to make some progress after many years!

Everything to do with it. That's why the rumours persist as Nokia are the lead Windows Phone user and so many people think they are the perfect fit with Microsoft.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No faith in themselves theb considering Nokia are Microsoft Exclusive.

It is hard to compete with a contractor taking the risk for less money. Leaving Nokia alone is zero risk.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No faith in themselves theb considering Nokia are Microsoft Exclusive.
    If Nokia fail then so does WP but the failure of Nokia would not necessarily be a reflection of the failure of MS/WP - it's perfectly plausible that Nokia could fail for unrelated reasons.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently Huwawei want to buy them too
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    They wouldn't be allowed. they are already dominant in the phone market.

A ore likely candidate would be apple. Nokia have a load of IP they could use in their war with android. Nokia have some skills that apple don't. and it would sort out their mapping problems.

but i don't see that they would be allowed either.

That's a strange comment. Apple are far more dominant in the phone market than Google. If you are referring to Android then you might as well say that Arm Holdings wouldn't be allowed to buy a phone company because they supply the design for the Arm chip in virtually every phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I mean about the jobs.

Both Apple and MS would mainly want it for the patent and brand name.
    The idea of Nokia being a 'budget IOS' Apple brand is not far fetched.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    The idea of Nokia being a 'budget IOS' Apple brand is not far fetched.

I would say it's very far fetched. Does not make any sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I would say it's very far fetched. Does not make any sense.
    Well with the current iPhone now being middle range what is the budget iPhone going to be like?

Different branding is the obvious idea. The budget phone needs to be 'very budget' or have an upped screen resolution of 720p to match other so called mid range phones.

The thing is, at the budget end, it obviously loses that maintained perception of being the best.