Sonos: Play 1

Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi guys

Thinking of buying this device... anyone with any experience of Sonos though...I know with the bridge it doesn't use airplay / bluetooth - but its own network to play the music over.

Does that mean when you use the app to control it - your phone has to be on a different wi fi from your home network??

Also, it will be quite a while before I can afford another speaker. Would anyone recommend a different wireless streaming product if I'm not using it for multi room??

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    if your using a phone , iphone or android , download a free app called mediaconnect and just stream to yur phone nd use a docking station.

Buy a NAS first and store all your music on there.

Everything from tv to blu ray, xbox, PS 3 , internet radios etc will play off it
  • skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Hi guys

Thinking of buying this device... anyone with any experience of Sonos though...I know with the bridge it doesn't use airplay / bluetooth - but its own network to play the music over.

Does that mean when you use the app to control it - your phone has to be on a different wi fi from your home network??

Also, it will be quite a while before I can afford another speaker. Would anyone recommend a different wireless streaming product if I'm not using it for multi room??

The Sonos devices communicate with each other using their own "mesh" wireless network. At least one device has to be hardwired to your existing network, this is normally the bridge but doesn't have to be.
    Your phone, tablet, PC, Mac or laptop sit on your normal network and communicate with the Sonos via the free app/software on their website.
    Most of the music that Sonos are expecting you to play on your devices will come from the net itself or a file on your PC/Mac?network HDD. This means that once you you have used your phone/tablet to start the music you can turn it off, take it out the house or do whatever you want with it.
    This is unlike Airplay or bluetooth that requires your phone/tablet the be constantly in communication with the speaker you are using whilst playing music. This also means that your phone/tablet uses more power during the playback process.
    The Sonos app does allow you to play music directly from your phone/tablet if you want to but again uses more power in the process.

I am yet to hear the Play:1 but would say, having used the Play:3 many times, that it will be suitable for use in small rooms or for occasional use such as kitchens or bedrooms. If you're a big music fan or have a very critical ear you may be disappointed with the Play:1.
    I personally find the Play:3 just about acceptable for use in a bedroom or Kitchen but couldn't deal with it as a main audio listening device, I'd have to go to a Play:5 or the Connect hooked to a proper HiFi.
    As an alternative Bose have some tasty items just hitting the shelves now called SoundTouch. Saw them last
    week and was very impressed.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the Play 5 at the moment and cannot recommend it enough. I'll be surprised if there is ever a more convenient way of listening to music.

I'm very tempted to put the Play 5 in the kitchen and buy 2 of these for a stereo setup in the living room.
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skinj wrote: »
    The Sonos devices communicate with each other using their own "mesh" wireless network. At least one device has to be hardwired to your existing network, this is normally the bridge but doesn't have to be.
    Your phone, tablet, PC, Mac or laptop sit on your normal network and communicate with the Sonos via the free app/software on their website.
    Most of the music that Sonos are expecting you to play on your devices will come from the net itself or a file on your PC/Mac?network HDD. This means that once you you have used your phone/tablet to start the music you can turn it off, take it out the house or do whatever you want with it.
    This is unlike Airplay or bluetooth that requires your phone/tablet the be constantly in communication with the speaker you are using whilst playing music. This also means that your phone/tablet uses more power during the playback process.
    The Sonos app does allow you to play music directly from your phone/tablet if you want to but again uses more power in the process.

I am yet to hear the Play:1 but would say, having used the Play:3 many times, that it will be suitable for use in small rooms or for occasional use such as kitchens or bedrooms. If you're a big music fan or have a very critical ear you may be disappointed with the Play:1.
    I personally find the Play:3 just about acceptable for use in a bedroom or Kitchen but couldn't deal with it as a main audio listening device, I'd have to go to a Play:5 or the Connect hooked to a proper HiFi.
    As an alternative Bose have some tasty items just hitting the shelves now called SoundTouch. Saw them last
    week and was very impressed.

This.....

I have a play:5, Its so good I am buying a Play:3 for the kitchen at the weekend and 2 play:1 for the 2 of the bedrooms.

I mostly play Spotify and Radio on them, I have loads of music on a Nas but spotify has mostly everything.

The control you have on the mobile app is great, creating playlists etc...