Sky Shared Planner To Launch End Of This Month?

Comments

• nickosbadnickosbad Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    jon41 wrote: »
    No, was speaking with the installer on my road. Yeah he mentioned that planner sharing won't be enabled when the software is updated as the customer will be required to opt in for it.

Also there's a few posters who are sending PM's with links to screenshots.

Not launching the end of this month, nor the following month either.....lets just say its a few months off yet!!;)
  • jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nickosbad wrote: »
    Not launching the end of this month, nor the following month either.....lets just say its a few months off yet!!;)

The planner sharing might not launch but the actual software will already be on the boxes.
  • pogitpogit Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Based on an error I had recently and the rapid removal of the iPhone app and one of its bragged about features I would guess there has been a large set back.... and as much as I would love the feature I don't think we'll be seeing it for some time yet (across all boxes at least) ........:cry: but it would also explain why sky added the login feature to the app would it not? (If not just for the remote record option)
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our DRX595 box is still on the old style EPG, although it seems to have had a couple of overnight updates recently so I don't think the new EPG is too far away.
  • pogitpogit Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well based on a recent error not only are my iOS devices talking to my sky boxes but my Samsung boxes are communicating with each other, incorrectly but communicating and acting on said communication. (Saying that it could easily have been the iOS sky plus app, mixing up the comms between similar boxes)

my guess is the main function is within the current egg but not refined enough..... So my money's on its close but not that close to a rollout/ activation.

I'm also guessing there are a few :o faces in the sky software team. But if it was easy they wouldn't need a software team right!
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, was speaking with the installer on my road. Yeah he mentioned that planner sharing won't be enabled when the software is updated as the customer will be required to opt in for it.

PM'ing you? How foolish of them! You should also know that Sky installers aren't a reliable source for info on EPG developments.
  • BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm an engineer and from that comment you either don't know anyone working for sky or just got told drivel from a random member of the public. This product will have a MAAAAAHHOOOOOOOOOSIVE ad campaign when it launches. Opt in my heiney!!!
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a sky+ hd box and a normal white box subscribed to multiroom, will I be able to get this shared planner? I was about to cancel multiroom but wouldnt if I could access my planner in the multiroom box
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    I have a sky+ hd box and a normal white box subscribed to multiroom, will I be able to get this shared planner? I was about to cancel multiroom but wouldnt if I could access my planner in the multiroom box

You'd need to upgrade the white box to an HD one to get the sharing features when launched.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks I,ll not bother with that then upgrading is a fortune
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Try phoning them and saying the box is packing up and you wish to cancel multiroom because of this. They may turn around and offer you a free upgrade to an HD box if you commit to a new 12 month contract.
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It really doesn't need to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 2 Sky+ HD boxes but only one is connected to the internet. I assume both would need to have a connection to enable planner sharing?

Might be time to buy that Sky Wireless thingy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone explain what will planner sharing do what are the features I was thinking I would be able to move recordings from one box to another kind of like planner spring cleaning

But I'm guessing I won't be able to do that

What will it do
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thedrewser wrote: »
    I have 2 Sky+ HD boxes but only one is connected to the internet. I assume both would need to have a connection to enable planner sharing?

Might be time to buy that Sky Wireless thingy.

Both don't necessarily have to be connected to the internet as such, but they will both have to be on the same network. Which, in terms of home networks, generally means connected to the wireless router and hence connected to the internet.
    lee_w wrote: »
    Can someone explain what will planner sharing do what are the features I was thinking I would be able to move recordings from one box to another kind of like planner spring cleaning

But I'm guessing I won't be able to do that

What will it do

The chat is that you'll be able to stream recordings from one box to the other. I.E you can watch recordings from all connected boxes on the other. As for transferring recordings, I doubt it.
  • BigBadJimmyBigBadJimmy Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The chat is that you'll be able to stream recordings from one box to the other. I.E you can watch recordings from all connected boxes on the other. As for transferring recordings, I doubt it.

I would assume, going by how the STBs handle On Demand (i.e. progressive download; not streaming), that Planner Sharing would work in the same way. I'd expect one STB to transfer a copy of the video file to the other STB, and it becoming available to watch as soon as enough of the file has been transferred.

It's entirely possible I could be wrong of course!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I was hopeing that stuff I have downstairs could be moved to my other box so I can keep the recording

Thanks for the info sounds good
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When this was first raised on here I pointed out that the ability to transfer recordings this way onto a multiroom box would drive customers to upgrade to new boxes. As one deterring feature is that if you swop boxes you lose any recordings you have on the old one. So either have to watch them all fast, or tape to DVD or swap cards and watch anything non premium on the old box (if you keep it linked to the dish as multuiroom after getting a replacement box).

So this facility would make it easier for customers to upgrade boxes.

A reply posted from someone who should know kind of initimated that this was a possibility (though not a certainty). Though nobody was saying much as Sky are keeping this on the QT for now - perfectly understandably.

So I guess we shall see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we might be able to move recordings to other boxes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I could see rights owners having a fit over that. The same goes for progressive download; which is why I think it will be streaming only - one copy not two floating around.
  • powarpowar Posts: 302
    Forum Member

No, they will be mirrored.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would assume, going by how the STBs handle On Demand (i.e. progressive download; not streaming), that Planner Sharing would work in the same way. I'd expect one STB to transfer a copy of the video file to the other STB, and it becoming available to watch as soon as enough of the file has been transferred.

It's my hunch (going on no solid evidence whatsoever) that it will be streaming rather than progressive download. Progressive Download was implemented for On Demand so that those with slower BB speeds didn't miss out. In this instance, there's absolutely no need to progressively download. I also think it'll wash much better with content providers if it's streaming rather than progressively downloading.

That said, I too could be wrong!

Maybe, maybe not. No one (or certainly not anyone who is going to go public with the info) knows for sure.
  • BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Errr nope!
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who is wanting to pm info,feel free to send me some , thanks
  • paul richardspaul richards Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    instead of all the pm's that have been requested,

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vd6238&s=6

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2zp1947&s=6

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dvud6g&s=6

and again im not a beta tester and under no agreement with sky. if the post or thread is deleted there are many more links and videos that have already been pm'd over the past week.

The other memebers have already agreed to share them.