How much data can be copied/transferred in one go?

I use Teracopy to tranfer data to my external harddrive.

Just wondering, is there a limit on how much data can be transferred in one go.

If I was transferring 1TB of data, how can Teracopy remember so much information.

How exactly does this work?

Thanks

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    File copying is done a bit at a time, it doesn't copy the whole file in one massive hit. So it reads a bit of the source file into memory, writes it to the destination drive then repeats the process as often as necessary to finish the transfer.

So the only real limit is how much free space there is on the destination drive.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no limit as such though certain copying methods offer more resilience then file manager.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when copying a file you'll need to know the size of the file and how much free memory is available so you can pick the correct value on reading into the buffer and writing it out again so to speed up the copying while not impacting on performance too much
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the answer is six.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forty two.

Incidentally I wonder if anyone else knows this thing that I am about to tell you.

Originally my answer was 42,. However when I typed that, a message told me that a posting must be at least 5 characters long. So the blooming rules spoilt my joke.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    forty two is more than 42. That's why i said the answer is six not just 6.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just use a floopy disk. It's in 'as new' condition.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Can I just use a floopy disk. It's in 'as new' condition.

You can – but you may need for than one for 1TB – best stock up first and book a few weeks off work
  • Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please insert destination disk in drive DF0:...
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tool2004 wrote: »
    If I was transferring 1TB of data, how can Teracopy remember so much information.

How exactly does this work?

Thanks

If you were to copy a book by hand you dont need to remember the whole book to do it. You read a bit, write it, read a bit more, write it.