Comments

• lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sony are on fire at the min.... Looks great!!!
  • barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it better than the s4 or htc one?
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Liking the look of this, was split between android as an OS i prefer or the amazing camera on the Lumia 1020, so this phone could be my happy medium
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Gotta love sony since Kaz Hirai became CEO.

And yes, it's better than both the phones above^
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does look awesome and I am about to change my phone but I am still leaning towards the Note 3 more at the moment.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But its Sony, dont expect regular software updates. And on some of the Xperia range you need a pc to update it(what? its 2013 and you cant do it via the phone? lol)
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    But its Sony, dont expect regular software updates. And on some of the Xperia range you need a pc to update it(what? its 2013 and you cant do it via the phone? lol)

Huh? Sony have been pushing out multiple updates for the Xperia Z.
  • Sirocco758Sirocco758 Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's a load of bull I've got the Xperia™ Z on Vodafone and have had at least 3 over the air updates since I got it on 23 July.

Although this Xperia™ Z1 is now going to make me go in serious debt come the 20th Sept as there's no way I'm going to have an old device. Hate how companies do this and with long contract times it's a disgrace.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

As the other posters said, i disagree.

The new Sony is really proving that they have what it takes to be the number one entertainment provider.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sirocco758 wrote: »

Although this Xperia™ Z1 is now going to make me go in serious debt come the 20th Sept as there's no way I'm going to have an old device. Hate how companies do this and with long contract times it's a disgrace.

Sony work on a 6 month refresh cycle with their flagship phones - the same happened last year with the S and the T. However there has been a huge leap for Sony Mobile from the Xperia T and the Xperia Z which was worth updating from the change in design language and software but I'm not so sure with this smaller refresh.

I'm happy with my Z and I'm not likely to notice the difference in everyday use and I know the mobile world we live in now were OEM's continually refresh their phones. I'm quite happy to ride out my contract out for another year and a half to see the new phones down the line because if your going to buy the Z1 what are you going to do in another 6 months upgrade again? It's never ending and just the way it is nowadays.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However there has been a huge leap for Sony Mobile from the Xperia T and the Xperia Z which was worth updating from the change in design language and software but I'm not so sure with this smaller refresh.
    The Z1 is a much bigger step forward than the Z was.
    The Z used older hardware, it didn't run the latest version of Android at launch and the screen and camera were well below par for a flagship handset. The Z1 has addressed all these shortcomings.

The Z was a classic Sony (Ericsson) Android handset - great on paper but never quite measuring up in reality. The Z1, on the other hand, is a genuine contender with anything else on the market.
    Though the weight is a bit ridiculous, at 169g it's heavier even than the Note3.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    Huh? Sony have been pushing out multiple updates for the Xperia Z.

But that's the typical Sony experience. For the first few months you get upgrades and fixes at a reasonable pace. Then their attention switches to the next big thing and you'll find yourself waiting months and months to even hear about whether the handset is to be upgraded/ bugs fixed. Let alone receive the new firmware.

It's happened time and time again. I don't see why the Z should fare any better.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks a very good phone and has Android 4.2.
    My sisters friend got a new Sony Xperia SP the other day and that also looks a nice phone but it only came with Android 4.1. I would have thought all new phones would have had at lest Android 4.2 on them.

Darren
  • madscotsboymadscotsboy Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Just pre-ordered this from Three this afternoon, upgrade was due today anyway. Looking forward to it, looks like a nice sleek piece of tech. Am a wee photo fanatic too so can't wait to use the camera on this bad boy.
  • sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just pre-ordered this from Three this afternoon, upgrade was due today anyway. Looking forward to it, looks like a nice sleek piece of tech. Am a wee photo fanatic too so can't wait to use the camera on this bad boy.

I need a new phone phone as well

Is this phone as good as the htc one or galaxy s4.
  • madscotsboymadscotsboy Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    sammyvine wrote: »
    I need a new phone phone as well

Is this phone as good as the htc one or galaxy s4.
    Suppose its preference really. I think it has slightly better processor than the HTC and Galaxy which are both more than enough for most people. If you look it up online you can find some comparisons...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-Z1-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-First-look_id47047
    http://gigaom.com/2013/09/04/sony-xperia-z1-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-4-vs-moto-x-the-best-of-android-in-5-inches-or-less/
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the camera is as good as it looks in the promo below, then that's an incredible camera on a phone.

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/phones/xperia-z1/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=emd&utm_campaign=i1_pa_gben&utm_content=ACT
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    If the camera is as good as it looks in the promo below, then that's an incredible camera on a phone.

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/phones/xperia-z1/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=emd&utm_campaign=i1_pa_gben&utm_content=ACT

It's apparently the same as used in one of their megazoom compacts.

Not an amazing sensor, but still better than everything else out there bar the 1020 (which Sony have effectively admitted).
  • barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suppose its preference really. I think it has slightly better processor than the HTC and Galaxy which are both more than enough for most people. If you look it up online you can find some comparisons...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-Z1-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-First-look_id47047
    http://gigaom.com/2013/09/04/sony-xperia-z1-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-4-vs-moto-x-the-best-of-android-in-5-inches-or-less/

hmmm

not sure if i should get it, or wait for the new samsung or htc one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xperia z1 or htc one?
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xperia z1 or htc one?

Honestly thinking it going come down to do you want the latest tech or do you want something slightly older but works perfect smoothly and is well reviewed. Also comes down to which skin of of android do you prefer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Honestly thinking it going come down to do you want the latest tech or do you want something slightly older but works perfect smoothly and is well reviewed. Also comes down to which skin of of android do you prefer.

hmmm
    xperia z1 is more of a cameron phone isnt it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmm
    xperia z1 is more of a cameron phone isnt it

True it is but I wouldn't say it was completely a camera phone like the Nokia 1020 or the Galaxy S4 Zoom is. It's like the htc one and with how they using ultra-pixels. It's a solid well rounded device from what I seen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    True it is but I wouldn't say it was completely a camera phone like the Nokia 1020 or the Galaxy S4 Zoom is. It's like the htc one and with how they using ultra-pixels. It's a solid well rounded device from what I seen.

hmmm ill have to see

i want a phone primarily for listening to music and browsing the net
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmm ill have to see

i want a phone primarily for listening to music and browsing the net

HTC One might be best device for you then boomsound speakers are brilliant.