Wii U....What are your first impressions?

Comments

• CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Izak wrote: »
    Got my Wii U today and really wish I could give a decent first impression unfortuately the disc drive refuses to work. I put any game in no matter if its one of the two Wii U titles or any of my Wii titles, the drive attempts to read the disc for a few seconds but then stops with a bit of a clunk and comes up with 'Invalid Disc'.

Found several other people on other forums with the same problem and tried various suggestions such as unplugging the console for 30 minutes and even done a full reset but nothing works.

Going to contact ShopTo and possibly Nintendo to see what I should do to return it and get a replacement. :(

Did you insert the disc when the Wii U was in standby mode or when the machine was fully on?

I noticed with ZOMBIU that when I inserted the disc in standby mode and then turned the machine on it said "invalid disc" ...but when I removed the disc, rebooted the machine and inserted the disc when the hardware was fully on.. the disc read fine.

I wondered if on the first load of the disc the machine had to be fully on to register it with the hardware? Of course it could have been a one off glitch with mine.
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Just a thought, but have you installed the update?
    Callous wrote: »
    Did you insert the disc when the Wii U was in standby mode or when the machine was fully on?

I noticed with ZOMBIU that when I inserted the disc in standby mode and then turned the machine on it said "invalid disc" ...but when I removed the disc, rebooted the machine and inserted the disc when the hardware was fully on.. the disc read fine.

I wondered if on the first load of the disc the machine had to be fully on to register it with the hardware? Of course it could have been a one off glitch with mine.

Unfortunately I had done the update so there was no way back on that one. Tried all kinds of ways of launching the games but no luck.

ShopTo are going to pick it up and send a replacement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Peeps. I'm looking for some advice here. My father bought a Wii U and has asked me to go out to his place to set it up for him (he's 76) but he has no internet, does it need to be connected to the net for first time set up ?. Thanks in advance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    I am staggered at how amazing the controller is. I’ve only played Mario and Nintendoland which are great, and used my Netflix account. Loving the ability to watch a show on the controller while my wife watches the tele.
  • Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll stick this in here as well. I asked Nintendo about redownloading games purchased from the eshop to a new external HDD this is the reply:

We can confirm that the entitlement for the game is linked to the console not to the external hard drive. As long as the eShop account is not deleted on the console it is possible to re-download the game on a different hard drive. Re-downloading the game will not restore any saved game data that may of been on the previous hard drive.

We wish you a happy gaming experience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Hi

loooking at getting a wii u tomrrow as local stroes as them with zombie u and mario - already have a 360 - am i making a mistake in buying it this early or shoudl i wait till it has been out a while?
  • TheTrader78TheTrader78 Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Peeps. I'm looking for some advice here. My father bought a Wii U and has asked me to go out to his place to set it up for him (he's 76) but he has no internet, does it need to be connected to the net for first time set up ?. Thanks in advance.

I believe you can set up the Wii U and play the games without being connected to the net. You will just not be able to do a system update and connect to things like miiverse and stuff.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    legzakimbo wrote: »
    I am staggered at how amazing the controller is. I’ve only played Mario and Nintendoland which are great, and used my Netflix account. Loving the ability to watch a show on the controller while my wife watches the tele.

I like the idea of this right enough, I could sneakily watch movies etc. while the kids were on the cbbc or vice versa! Still the fact it can't play dvds annoys me, because I really do need a new dvd/blu ray player and would love a new game console into the mix in one handy unit. My original ps2 finally stopped playing dvds and I am using an old xbox just now which is still going strong, although a bit noisy. I am waiting till it packs in as I see it a waste buying a separate dvd player, but I don't mind upgrading a new console, we like our games.

I do fancy the games on the Wii U though they sound great! And of course we have tons of Wii games. Its a shame it can't play dvds though.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone had problems with their wiiu freezing? I fired up *mighty switchforce* and it froze on the main menu ... Had 2 pull the plug cause the power button wouldn't work :(
  • lamblamlamblamblamlamb Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have access to a Wii U. My brother bought one over the weekend. My impressions are a bit limited as I have not played anything on it only played around with the Miiverse. I do Like the menu screen with all the mii's saying something. I even drew some pictures on the comments on Zombi U.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Has anyone had problems with their wiiu freezing? I fired up *mighty switchforce* and it froze on the main menu ... Had 2 pull the plug cause the power button wouldn't work :(

The same thing happened to me playing super Mario bros
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same thing happened to me playing super Mario bros

lots of people are experiencing random lockups ... its firmware related apparently. /shrug :(
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I impulse bought one (Premium Pack) today with Sonic Racers. Not set it up, but will gives my impressions.

Any tips or tricks I should know about?
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    I impulse bought one (Premium Pack) today with Sonic Racers. Not set it up, but will gives my impressions.

Any tips or tricks I should know about?

get Titanic extended edition or Once upon a time in America ready to watch whilst it updates
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    get Titanic extended edition or Once upon a time in America ready to watch whilst it updates

It took me almost AN HOUR to get the bloody thing just to connect to our SuperHub. It's about 75% through an update as we speak.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nintendo are advising parents to pre-install the updates before wrapping it up and gifting it on Christmas day

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a446931/wii-u-update-recommended-before-gifting-says-nintendo.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    Nintendo are advising parents to pre-install the updates before wrapping it up and gifting it on Christmas day

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a446931/wii-u-update-recommended-before-gifting-says-nintendo.html

Some of the comments in that article are wrong, the console can be used without the update installed, its very poor wording and gives the impression it has to be done for the console to work out of the box, and of course the update can be done in the background anyway. Most kids will want to play games when they get the new console not worrying about going online. We have bought one today for a joint xmas present for our kids but wont be opening it all up and doing the update, dont feel right setting it up and repacking it up and then giving it as a xmas present especially as its not critical to do it.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the comments in that article are wrong, the console can be used without the update installed, its very poor wording and gives the impression it has to be done for the console to work out of the box, and of course the update can be done in the background anyway. Most kids will want to play games when they get the new console not worrying about going online. We have bought one today for a joint xmas present for our kids but wont be opening it all up and doing the update, dont feel right setting it up and repacking it up and then giving it as a xmas present especially as its not critical to do it.

i agree with that, i thought the same, i kept all the wrapping on though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i agree with that, i thought the same, i kept all the wrapping on though

I got my WiiU on launch, literally begged with my family just to let me set it up and do the update in case something goes wrong or is wrong with the WiiU

They roundly told me no everyday, as the clock turned to 12.00am this Monday i started to set it up only to find that the gamepad didn't work, needless to say a trip to game was in store during the morning

I implore you if you are getting this for your kids at least, sync the gamepad and the WiiU and make sure they work, the option to go back to the shop would not be available on christmas day
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I updated my sons when I bought it, the nintendo servers are going to be under a hell of a lot of stress tomorrow. Last thing you need is the servers to crash and explain to your child why his brand new wii u is now a brick:D
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only have ZombiU (which i have beat) and my first impressions are brilliant. The game is just fantastic and the gamepad works so well and makes it so much more realistic. At the moment the other launch titles look very weak so i'm looking forward to more releases.

I was going to buy the Mario game just to waste some time but for a re-release of a game that they have released like 4 or 5 times over the past few years on Wii and 3DS £40-£50 is just too dear.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »

Mine froze on me yesterday while using the Youtube app. It was making a really loud buzzing noise and couldn't be switched off so i had to do it at the mains.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrubber wrote: »
    Mine froze on me yesterday while using the Youtube app. It was making a really loud buzzing noise and couldn't be switched off so i had to do it at the mains.
    Probably the most amateurish design problem of the Wii U is this so far. Standard practice for a crashed device is to be able to reboot manually/automatically when it crashes. Wii U must be physically unplugged from the power to solve a crash.

My brother has experienced a lot of crashes like this when playing COD, but I personally have only had it once, while Youtube app was starting up.

I will say though, the console is fantastic despite its faults. Love the controller, the TV remote functionality, the excitement of knowing we'll get Zelda and Mario games in the future. I just hope it sells.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've really thrown myself into the Wii U, as I felt I never appreciated my Wii enough. I bought the Premium Pack, which came with Nintendoland, Sonic Racers and an accessory pack, for £309. I didn't really want Sonic Racers, but for £9 you can't complain.

I then traded in my old 3DS, my old Wii and a few games and got £130 for them [plus £13 trade-in bonus]. With that, I bought Zombie U [£35], NSMBU [£40], £15 eShop card, 2 game guides and a black Wiimote + Nunchuk. With the eShop card I treated myself to Trine 2 and Chasing Aurora. Then, because I couldn't resist, I spent a little extra and purchased Nano Assault Neo.

The one thing I can't help notice about the Wii U is it's graphical performance. In my eyes, it trounces what the PS3 can offer. Obviously, with it being new hardware I'd expect this but being a Ninendo loyalist I'm used to below par graphics. I'm glad they've finally stepped up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    With the eShop card I treated myself to Trine 2 and Chasing Aurora.

Trine 2 is the best game on e-Shop at the moment, and I urge everyone to get it while it's on offer. I]10/10[/I

Chasing Aurora I have very mixed opinons on, but whilst it's a fiver, everyone should get it. You can't go wrong. However, when it goes back to being £10 or £15, then maybe think long and hard if it's worth it. The single player is boring, and deducts massive points towards it, but multiplayer is good. I]7.5/10[/I