Man United Supporters Thread (Part 37)

Comments

• zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    Quite.
    And I'll just repeat meself and say ... had we won, Rooney being 'dropped' would not have got a mention.

I don't know, they wouldn't let a thing like a win get in the way of their rubbish.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    zieler wrote: »
    I don't know, they wouldn't let a thing like a win get in the way of their rubbish.

Alright, then they'd have just made a passing comment (compared to what we've got now) probably along the lines of 'Fergie's tactics worked' - and leave it at that! :)

I mean, after all, it's 'losing after leaving Rooney out' that's got them all coming out with this rubbish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I posted this after the spurs 1-1 draw, in part 35,pg200.

Teflon Don:

It took the best striker in the world in his prime to take young Welbeck's place upfront. It's not like Berba and Hernandez losing out to Welbeck last season. Rooney better watch his back though, because he could follow the footsteps of Berba and Hernandez and be watching Welbeck from the bench. Like today for example.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teflon Don wrote: »
    I posted this after the spurs 1-1 draw, in part 35,pg200.

Teflon Don:

It took the best striker in the world in his prime to take young Welbeck's place upfront. It's not like Berba and Hernandez losing out to Welbeck last season. Rooney better watch his back though, because he could follow the footsteps of Berba and Hernandez and be watching Welbeck from the bench. Like today for example.

You are Danny Welbeck and I claim my £5.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    You are Danny Welbeck and I claim my £5.

Or someone who can see the obvious. I'm not that smart.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,462
    Forum Member
    Welbeck is improving his game for sure but he is not a regular goal scorer and until he improves that part of his game he should not be keeping Rooney and especially Hernandez out of the team.
    His lack of goals is even more highlighted when he is paired with RVP in a small goal drought.
    As has been pointed out, we did not even score our goal on Tuesday night.
    And we are still behind City for goals scored this season - they have had out of form strikers too.
    I put that firmly down to SAF preferring to play Welbeck instead of Hernandez most of the time.

Say what you like about Welbeck and how he is the future but unless he is going to start scoring and be dependable in that area, I do not want him to be first choice as a 'striker'

Annoyed that I posted one calm respectful post asking a WUM to not post in this thread and it has been removed. How is that breaking forum rules?
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,310
    Forum Member
    Whilst I agree Lopes played well, let me ask you all this question. If Nani's attempt to control the ball was dangerous play, how come Lopes punching Vidic wasn't considered the same? Surely it is exactly the same principal of a player in a common game situation being dangerous.

As for Rooney, it's rubbish talk by the press. I actually saw why Fergie dropped him before the game. With Giggs able to offer a little more solidity in the midfield . I saw Rooney as a sub for Giggs in the second half, To up any flagging energy levels and to offer another style of attack to that of which Giggs does offer.

We didn't get such a reaction when Fergie took Rooney off in the 08 Champions League Final did we?? So why now?
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Tribec wrote: »
    Whilst I agree Lopes played well, let me ask you all this question. If Nani's attempt to control the ball was dangerous play, how come Lopes punching Vidic wasn't considered the same? Surely it is exactly the same principal of a player in a common game situation being dangerous.

As for Rooney, it's rubbish talk by the press. I actually saw why Fergie dropped him before the game. With Giggs able to offer a little more solidity in the midfield . I saw Rooney as a sub for Giggs in the second half, To up any flagging energy levels and to offer another style of attack to that of which Giggs does offer.

We didn't get such a reaction when Fergie took Rooney off in the 08 Champions League Final did we?? So why now?

There was also the possibility of extra time which we don’t normally have to factor in. Initially when I saw the team sheet I was a bit ‘argh!!’ but then I figured that with Rooney on the bench if it started to go pear shaped then at least we had a good option to bring on and turn it around. That was about it for me – nothing sinister.
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    Welbeck is improving his game for sure but he is not a regular goal scorer and until he improves that part of his game he should not be keeping Rooney and especially Hernandez out of the team.
    His lack of goals is even more highlighted when he is paired with RVP in a small goal drought.
    As has been pointed out, we did not even score our goal on Tuesday night.
    And we are still behind City for goals scored this season - they have had out of form strikers too.
    I put that firmly down to SAF preferring to play Welbeck instead of Hernandez most of the time.

Say what you like about Welbeck and how he is the future but unless he is going to start scoring and be dependable in that area, I do not want him to be first choice as a 'striker'

Annoyed that I posted one calm respectful post asking a WUM to not post in this thread and it has been removed. How is that breaking forum rules?

You wonder if it's a touch of sentiment with Fergie where Welbeck is concerned. Him and his 'he's been with us since he was 11'

I mean, he's a striker who basically this season hasn't scored any goals! (not literally, of course. he has about 3, I think?)
    Playing him over Hernandez in games when we need goals is a bit mind boggling.
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    You wonder if it's a touch of sentiment with Fergie where Welbeck is concerned. Him and his 'he's been with us since he was 11'

Let's be fair with Welbeck, look back at other players who have come through the ranks, Fletcher and Evans to name two. Both have been called by the fans for lack of ability etc, yet both have proven to be excellent players. I don't see the problem with Welbeck, yes he isn't scoring goals for fun, but we've got others who have done. RVP and Hernandez have scored plenty of goals as strikers. Unlike previous years our defence has popped up with plenty of goals, and we are on course to break a PL record in scoring or close to Chelsea's record.

It's well documented that Danny hasnt scored that many goals, and perhaps he never will, but if he's contributing to the team, as he did on Tuesday how can we complain??

A look back through our recent history shows that Danny is actually a rare breed of player, a striker who has come through the ranks at United. We don't have a pedigree with doing that. Even our last great home grown striker wasn't a prolific striker, Hughes was a great player, and a great goal scorerer, but he was never prolific and he had his poor years. Look at the rest of them that have tried coming through, Robins, scored for fun in the A,B teams and the resi's, but never in the first team. Ebanks Blake, Campbell have shown promise and done well at the lower levels, but in the premier league have hardly set the goal scroing charts alive. oing further back, Scott McGarvey, Andy Ritchie and many others have tried but failed to make it at United. Givent that we have never had a great reputation for always having a goal scorer in the RVN, Law or Taylor mould, we can but hope that Danny can add a few more goals to his game, but for now he's doing a good job.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be happier if Welbeck was turned into a left midfielder who links up the midfield and forward line. He's not a natural goalscorer, and him being in positions many times and fluffing up isn't good,

Wasn't he played regularly on the left wing/left side at Sunderland? I'd argue he was more successful in that position.
    Forum Member
    Let's be fair with Welbeck, look back at other players who have come through the ranks, Fletcher and Evans to name two. Both have been called by the fans for lack of ability etc, yet both have proven to be excellent players. I don't see the problem with Welbeck, yes he isn't scoring goals for fun, but we've got others who have done. RVP and Hernandez have scored plenty of goals as strikers. Unlike previous years our defence has popped up with plenty of goals, and we are on course to break a PL record in scoring or close to Chelsea's record.

It's well documented that Danny hasnt scored that many goals, and perhaps he never will, but if he's contributing to the team, as he did on Tuesday how can we complain??

A look back through our recent history shows that Danny is actually a rare breed of player, a striker who has come through the ranks at United. We don't have a pedigree with doing that. Even our last great home grown striker wasn't a prolific striker, Hughes was a great player, and a great goal scorerer, but he was never prolific and he had his poor years. Look at the rest of them that have tried coming through, Robins, scored for fun in the A,B teams and the resi's, but never in the first team. Ebanks Blake, Campbell have shown promise and done well at the lower levels, but in the premier league have hardly set the goal scroing charts alive. oing further back, Scott McGarvey, Andy Ritchie and many others have tried but failed to make it at United. Givent that we have never had a great reputation for always having a goal scorer in the RVN, Law or Taylor mould, we can but hope that Danny can add a few more goals to his game, but for now he's doing a good job.

But that's my point Tribec, if RVP is going through a quiet spell - playing Welbeck with him is not going to achieve goals.
    We are not scoring as many as some of our rival teams.
    Hernandez is not scoring goals because he is not getting in the team, Welbeck is
    Forum Member
    Rooney and Nani plus some cash to Spurs for Bale anyone?
    Forum Member
    But that's my point Tribec, if RVP is going through a quiet spell - playing Welbeck with him is not going to achieve goals.
    We are not scoring as many as some of our rival teams.
    Hernandez is not scoring goals because he is not getting in the team, Welbeck is

However we continue to top the league, maintain a challenge in the cup, and be on course for one of our best seasons ever in front of goal. Till it becomes an issue, and it hasn't yet, why are we complaining? Come Sunday I suspect Rooney to be back, as he generally does better against Chelsea than Danny. So does Hernandez, so why not drop RVP then?

As I said before, we've always had a record of the whole team scoring goals, not just one or two players. RVN, being that exception really. The team is scoring and we keep winning. It's not possible to go all season scoring 3,4 or 5 goals a game, you go through lean spells and we are right now. I've every confidence we'll pick up soon.
    Forum Member
    The 2011/2012 review DVD I ordered came today. I'm having a quick look at it for a few minutes just to have a quick idea of what it's like (the 8-2 is on as I write) and it looks from the bit I've seen as if it's been done just like all the others apart from the 10/11 one.

Which makes you weep and wonder for the millionth time why they chose to completely ruin the one season review everyone would want to cherish. It was the record breaking season. And yet most people can't bear to watch what they came out with, it's so appallingly bad!
    They should be forced to re-do in the usual way, it so it's watchable!
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Rooney wont be going any were. Just media storys because tactically we didnt need him until late on. If anyones leaving its chico :(
    Forum Member

They want about £60m for Bale, apparently. I don't think Nani is rated anywhere near the difference between Rooney's worth and £60m! lol
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nani & cash for Bale maybe, but not Rooney too.

We would be mugging ourselves off if we offered those 2 players plus money for their one player.
    Forum Member
    However we continue to top the league, maintain a challenge in the cup, and be on course for one of our best seasons ever in front of goal. Till it becomes an issue, and it hasn't yet, why are we complaining? Come Sunday I suspect Rooney to be back, as he generally does better against Chelsea than Danny. So does Hernandez, so why not drop RVP then?

As I said before, we've always had a record of the whole team scoring goals, not just one or two players. RVN, being that exception really. The team is scoring and we keep winning. It's not possible to go all season scoring 3,4 or 5 goals a game, you go through lean spells and we are right now. I've every confidence we'll pick up soon.

RVP probably won't start on Sunday even if he'd been scoring a goal a game. Fergie hasn't started him in FA Cup games.

And of course, if he hadn't gone on and done his rescue act, we wouldn't have got further than the 3rd round!
  • toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now we are out the CL I think both RVP and Rooney will start Sunday, and don't believe all this crap about Rooney or Chico leaving.
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Rooney has two years left on his contract (is that correct?) then this Summer will be either go or stay otherwise his value starts going down very quickly.
  • Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

he's not doing a good job, he is a striker that has scored 3 goals this season, evra has more then him, kagawa has more despite hardly playing any games, welbeck's finishing is terrible, perhaps if we had a goalscorer in form in our team against madrid we would of scored the goals we needed to go through. i couldn't care less if he is an academy player, either he is good enough or he is not, no room for sentiment at this level, if fergie wants to win united's 4th european cup he needs to be ruthless, we need to do what bayern did in the summer and be busy in the transfer market, sort out the weaknesses in the squad and come back stronger for next season's european campaign, the champions league should definitely be the priority next season...
  • zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member

Would Spurs be able to afford either players wages anyway?

Nani I have no problem with leaving if a good enough replacement comes in (Zaha is a prospect, not a replacement yet). Definitely not Rooney.
    Forum Member

Fair enough - I agree, hoping to see Rooney and Hernandez in tandem on Sunday.
    I want to see Kagawa starting as well
    Forum Member

I think it should read "Rooney & Nani to Spurs for Bale and some cash anyone?"

Let's screw Levy for a change
This discussion has been closed.