Digital Switchover & Retunes: London (Merged)

Comments

• HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Well, I've tried UHF channel 23 off the back of my aerial (Sudbury and CP are almost exactly opposite compass bearings for me) and 200kW at 48 miles is not giving me anything.

I'm a bit dissapointed really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy a second aerial:D:D:D:D
  • SocialaddictSocialaddict Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the PASSCODE???!

I've tried 1234 and 0000 and they don't work!
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the PASSCODE???!

I've tried 1234 and 0000 and they don't work!
    Deleted - just seen you've started another thread for this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And another thing - I now know that it wasn't the Reigate Mux on ch31 that was knocking out my reception of the Crystal Palace HD mux, since that Reigate Mux went off air last night and I still can't get it. I know it's only 10kW but I used to be able to get it until it stopped a few months ago. More oddness! Never mind, it'll be back in two weeks.
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Hmmm....just got home from work switched on tv, no channels so did retune.....but now no bbc1 or 2! Will have to have a think.....in Reading by the way
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supercell wrote: »
    Hmmm....just got home from work switched on tv, no channels so did retune.....but now no bbc1 or 2! Will have to have a think.....in Reading by the way

Have you try looking in the 800s numbers as some channels get move there.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone else experienced improvement in signal stats for multiplexes supposedly unrelated to the DSO1 change?

My reception of the HD Mux on C31 has improved appreciably (Quality increase 53 to 86%, Pre-FEC reduced 1.4E-2 to 7E-3, C/N increased from 19dB to 23dB) and Mux A on C32 has seen a slight improvement in Quality & C/N.

Don't quite see how the removal of C25 low power digital and high power analogue being replaced with high power digital on C23 would cause an improvement on C31 & 32 :confused:
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    tomee wrote: »
    Have you try looking in the 800s numbers as some channels get move there.

Gave the wires a bit of a wiggle and did another retune, seem to have got them all back now...phew!
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone else experienced improvement in signal stats for multiplexes supposedly unrelated to the DSO1 change?

My reception of the HD Mux on C31 has improved appreciably (Quality increase 53 to 86%, Pre-FEC reduced 1.4E-2 to 7E-3, C/N increased from 19dB to 23dB) and Mux A on C32 has seen a slight improvement in Quality & C/N.

Don't quite see how the removal of C25 low power digital and high power analogue being replaced with high power digital on C23 would cause an improvement on C31 & 32 :confused:

IMHO CP has been on reduced power since just after Christmas. I think they've done this by using half an antenna so that feeds can be swapped round between antennas. All I can say is that BBC A on UHF23 is coming through here at a higher power and quality than any of the tests. One analogue channel has always been shite (since Xmas) now it's BBC ONE. Previously it had been ITV or C4. I've never been able to get HD reliably.

All the low power digital inc HD share the same stack at CP under the main antenna. With one missing mux, perhaps the "volume" on the rest was turned up. Or it may be better SWR characteristics.

Hopefully CP full power digital will be good enough for me to drop Guildford as an alternative, but I'll wait until summer to rejig my aerials.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are my eyes deceiving me or is the picture quality on BBC Three tonight a lot better than yesterday?
  • leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very impressed with the signal strength of the new BBC A multiplex. I can get excellant reception on a pocket size Nikkai set from Maplins with a built in telescopic aerial which only extends about six inches long, which I bought for the wife. She is very pleased and looks forward to the other multiplexes going high power in the next couple of weeks. With regard to the analogue transmissions of which I have commented on before. Like Ray, I have pointed out how poor analogue reception was whilst preparation work was being carried out.However for the past two or three weeks since work was completed reception was excellant on all five channels just like it used to be with all channels being operated at full power. That is up until shutdown at 00.30 last night. I have no doubt that the picture on ITV1 now is much weaker and grainy since coming back on air on channel 33, indeed BBC1 and Channel 4 dont look so brilliant either though not as bad as ITV1. Of course Channel 5 remains excellant as expected. One thought that nobody has mentioned. Whilst people have been speculating as to how engineers managed to put a feed of ITV1 through BBC2 's transmitter or alternatively recalibrating the rf output of the ITV1 transmitter and running around frantic in the space of one hour in the middle of the night in order to do this.That might not have been the case at all.What might have happened is that engineers might have been working at a nice leisurely pace down at Croydon for the past couple of weeks in order to transfer a feed of ITV1 on to BBC2 ' s back up transmitter. Remember Croydon has not been on air for the past two weeks and judging by the current picture quality of ITV1 it looks exactly like that of BBC2 when that has been broadcast from Croydon.
  • radamfiradamfi Posts: 13,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV1 and C4 analogue do seem to have deteriorated on CH33/30.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Reigate's Mux 1 that was on Ch 31 was switched off yesterday ?
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radamfi wrote: »

Yes, and BBC 1 has here in Basingstoke too. All the analogues look exactly the same as C5 analogue, strength wise.

I do have it on very good authority, that Croydon is not being used in its back up capacity, which surprises me, because looking at the signal strengths, I'd have said it was !

I'll see if I can double check
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've been watching C31 for a few months and, while the level has stayed pretty flat, the MER (similar numbers to C/N) has been jumping between 16, 18 and 24dB. It is now at 21dB. All other muxes (except C25!) remain the same.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A possible reason for apparent improvements in the Ch31 signal could be the closing of the vertically polarised Mux at Reigate, which could have been having a slight detrimental effect on Crystal Palace.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    A possible reason for apparent improvements in the Ch31 signal could be the closing of the vertically polarised Mux at Reigate, which could have been having a slight detrimental effect on Crystal Palace.
    That's what I had hoped, but as per my earlier post it made no difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radamfi wrote: »
    The analogue signal is well down on what it was here, back to the period a couple of months before DSO1. BBC1 is the best of a bad lot.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My analogue signal is really poor here its like what five is like on my video and can only just pick it up here.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    That's what I had hoped, but as per my earlier post it made no difference.
    Yes, I saw that. However, others are noting apparent improvements in the CP HD signals for some reason.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Certainly a possibility. I'm 20 miles NNE of CP so Reigate is probably within my aerials beamwidth. I take it Reigate C31 going off will enable more people to the SW of CP to get HD reception ahead of DSO2.
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,910
    Forum Member
    Yep I made a post yesterday how I can now receive the HD mux on my bedroom TV using an indoor aerial without the need of a booster when before DSO1 I needed to have the booster switched on at the mains to pick it up.

The BBCA mux comes through at 60% / 100 % with no booster attached, with it plugged in it comes in at 80% / 100% however weirdly it will then break up and the strength will plummet down to 20% - any idea why this could be?
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    Yep I made a post yesterday how I can now receive the HD mux on my bedroom TV using an indoor aerial without the need of a booster when before DSO1 I needed to have the booster switched on at the mains to pick it up.

The BBCA mux comes through at 60% / 100 % with no booster attached, with it plugged in it comes in at 80% / 100% however weirdly it will then break up and the strength will plummet down to 20% - any idea why this could be?

Classic overloading symptoms?
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    My BBC1 digital picture and others, looks much brightler and denser now with less moiré patterning than I have been getting for many weeks now. Something had been happening to the CP output for a couple of months prior to the switchover that I hadn't noticed in the past.