BT Infinity vs Sky Fibre - Different qouted speeds

ramitramit Posts: 66
Forum Member
All,

I am looking to upgrade to fibre optic. The problem I have is that on the BT site the estimated max speed for the line is 40Mb whilst on Sky its 33.1

Surely they should be the same, as its essentially BT installing it.

Is this likely to be an error, or is there really a difference in the max line speed between providers?

Comments

• SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ramit wrote: »
    All,

I am looking to upgrade to fibre optic. The problem I have is that on the BT site the estimated max speed for the line is 40Mb whilst on Sky its 33.1

Is this likely to be an error, or is there really a difference in the max line speed between providers?

It's BT wholesale that will be installing, not BT retail. The speeds may differ slightly because of different back ends.
  • ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... And presumably different numbers of customers to support?

As in if sky have too many customers on top packages down your road than the local cabinet can support, everyone's speed would be slower.

But presumably the impact of sky users wouldn't affect BT's users?
  • ramitramit Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    The odd thing is that if I look at BT wholesale or BT Infinity checker for my house or the houses on either side of me it says 40mb.

However on Sky's website, the two houses on either side to me say max speed of 33.1-40, but mine says only 33.1mb......

This seems a little strange? I am currently with Sky Broadband.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    All,

They are both estimates and as such, both are subject to error. The only way to find out which is right is to sign up!

For example, my Infinity 2 line speed estimate using the BT site is "up to 66.9Mbps" but I have had 75Mbps rock solid 24/7 ever since I signed up nearly a year ago.
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT Infinity 54.8Mbs
    Sky 22.9 - 30.2 Mbps

In my case.
    Forum Member
    GPW wrote: »
    BT Infinity 54.8Mbs
    Sky 22.9 - 30.2 Mbps

In my case.

What did you get when you actually started using it, and which provider did you go with? I wonder why the sky number is so much lower in this instance?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did you get when you actually started using it, and which provider did you go with? I wonder why the sky number is so much lower in this instance?

I haven't got it, I was looking at their upgrade site.
    Forum Member
    GPW wrote: »
    I haven't got it, I was looking at their upgrade site.

Out of interest, are you with Sky already?
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all honesty any estimation from any ISP is just that, there is unlikely to be a reason why BT and Sky Fibre would not perform identically. One that I can think of is that BT would be selling you 80/20 and Sky only seems to want to sell 40/2. The different line speed profile may have an effect on the actual connection speed.

Since it is really just an estimation you might as well sign up to whoever you like the look of and see what you really get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest, are you with Sky already?

Yes, I have their unlimited broad band package.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I assume it is that sky's speed checker only shows 40/2? I have a similar thing fibre has just arrived in my area and BT shows around 60 something Sky shows 40 something.

Decided to go BT, I know its £6 more but if I get higher speeds Ill pay it, Having to wait until the end of the month though as I couldnt get a saturday appt any earlier :(.

Also tbh the way Sky has been treating customers recently with the introduction of its new services like sky go extra and nowtv at extra cost to current quite frankly Id rather spread my money across different companies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's BT wholesale that will be installing, not BT retail. The speeds may differ slightly because of different back ends.

No it isn't its Openreach installing it. Sky's FTTC service doesn't have anything to do with BT Wholesale.
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Infinity 2 the speed on both BT & Sky say 40 meg but I get 58 meg ? would Sky be different phone Sky & see what they say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly unrelated but when I looked into fibre with BT, they said my Infinity 1 speed would be 40Mb and my Infinity 2 speed would only be 44Mb. It made me think that there's no point me paying extra for Infinity 2 for such a small speed increase. I've decided not to go for fibre yet so will have to make a decision about that later (although Plusnet give you the higher speed anyway and I may choose them).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »
    I have Infinity 2 the speed on both BT & Sky say 40 meg but I get 58 meg ? would Sky be different phone Sky & see what they say.

Sky and every other ISP will be getting their data from BT, and BT are fantastically conservative in their estimates.

They say my line can only do 58Mbit down, 20Mbit up. My line actually achieves 75Mbit down, 20Mbit up.
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Sky and every other ISP will be getting their data from BT, and BT are fantastically conservative in their estimates.

They say my line can only do 58Mbit down, 20Mbit up. My line actually achieves 75Mbit down, 20Mbit up.

Thats interesting. As when I was offered Infinity 2 (unlimited) for no extra cost, the advisor on the phone said 'You'll get 57Mbps'. When the engineer came, he too tested my line and said 'You'll get 57Mbps'. And then when he installed it... it was, and remains 57Mbps. Which had me thinking 'How do they do that?' (as opposed to the estimated speeds given for ADSL).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    Thats interesting. As when I was offered Infinity 2 (unlimited) for no extra cost, the advisor on the phone said 'You'll get 57Mbps'. When the engineer came, he too tested my line and said 'You'll get 57Mbps'. And then when he installed it... it was, and remains 57Mbps. Which had me thinking 'How do they do that?' (as opposed to the estimated speeds given for ADSL).

I don't know how BT works it out, it's probably a crude estimate based on how long your line is / how far you are from the cabinet (as they know this).

What the engineer said when they tested is likely to be accurate as their hand-held tester simulates the fibre modem (in my case, at the time, it was showing a predicted 100+Mbps if the service was available).
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT's checker said 41 meg when I asked them but it's been 58 meg the last two weeks since we got it so no worries here :)