Is my TV on the way out? Diagnosis please!

Hi all, please can you help? I think my TV is about to pack up and I would like a diagnosis and advice please - should I repair or go for new?

I have a 37" Samsung LE37A556P 1080P which is a little over 4 years old now. I have Sky+ HD connected through HDMI as well as a Samsung Home Theatre System and Samsung BluRay player connected. Additionally I have an Xbox 360 connected through composite.

Recently I have been experiencing what I can only describe as a 'bar of interference' down the left hand side of the screen (the whole height by about 15 cm wide). It comes and goes and is there especially when the set is turned on but can appear at any time too. If left, it will go away after time, or, a swift bang on the top makes it 'break up' and disappear. On further investigation, it seems this 'bar' is the same width as the black bar down the sides of the screen when I am watching a 4:9 style programme - it's almost like the widescreen-ness of the TV is knackered.

Over the last few days I have also experienced horrendous ghosting (just like you used to get years ago on analogue sets). For example, the football yesterday, the players were very blurred and when I view the EPG I can still 'see' it when I move to a channel.

So, are these 2 problems related? Is it fixable through TV settings I (or my son) have accidentally changed? Is it repairable, or indeed worth repairing? Or is it a new TV thats needed...?

Thanks!

Comments

• BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a dry joint on a component if it goes away when thumped.

Really could be anywhere in the circuitry.

If it was me, I'd have the back off and hit the circuit with some freezer spray to try and localise where the dicky joint is.

But your not me, so I would suggest getting someone who knows what they're doing to look at it, which will probably cost you the best part of a new TV.
  • FennomenonFennomenon Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a dry joint on a component if it goes away when thumped.

Really could be anywhere in the circuitry.

If it was me, I'd have the back off and hit the circuit with some freezer spray to try and localise where the dicky joint is.

But your not me, so I would suggest getting someone who knows what they're doing to look at it, which will probably cost you the best part of a new TV.

Would that cause the ghosting too?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    I would suggest that BrokenArrow isn't very familiar with LCD/Plasma TV repairs? - from the description of the fault it sounds almost certain that the fault is the actual LCD screen.

It 'may' be a poor connection (not a dry joint as they aren't usually soldered), but this will be inside the screen itself, and not repairable.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes, with some delicate dismantling, you can bodge a repair by putting a pad to apply pressure to the failing bonded tab connection. But it rarely lasts long.

I'll say it again, please don't think Samsung is a premium brand of tv. I would be pretty peed off if I bought a new tv and it was virtually scrap after 4 years.

As to an explanation, the connections to the glass LCD panel are made by a number of very fine ribbon cable connections bonded to the glass. If one of these fails, then a whole strip of the screen will fail. It could be any one, even one in the middle of the screen. The fact it is the left one and happens to be about the same width as the pillar box bars is pure coincidence and nothing to do with the wide scree switching.
  • kramstan70kramstan70 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    ProDave wrote: »
    I'll say it again, please don't think Samsung is a premium brand of tv. I would be pretty peed off if I bought a new tv and it was virtually scrap after 4 years.

Just out of interest what would you class as a "premium" brand of TV?
    Forum Member
    kramstan70 wrote: »
    Just out of interest what would you class as a "premium" brand of TV?

There are only two, Sony and Panasonic.
    Forum Member
    ProDave wrote: »
    Sometimes, with some delicate dismantling, you can bodge a repair by putting a pad to apply pressure to the failing bonded tab connection. But it rarely lasts long.

As to an explanation, the connections to the glass LCD panel are made by a number of very fine ribbon cable connections bonded to the glass. If one of these fails, then a whole strip of the screen will fail. It could be any one, even one in the middle of the screen. The fact it is the left one and happens to be about the same width as the pillar box bars is pure coincidence and nothing to do with the wide scree switching.

So...... It's scrap?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fennomenon wrote: »
    So...... It's scrap?

sell it on ebay for spares or repair, you will be surprised how much you will get for it. Particularly as you can describe it as an intermittent fault and show a picture of it fully working. Someone will buy it thinking it's an easy fix.

I've just about given up buying faulty sets to fix for now, as the price of working sets has dropped a lot, but the price of faulty sets has hardly fallen at all.
    Forum Member
    Thanks

So one final question, slightly off topic, if I had about £500 to spend on a new set, what should I be looking at - brand and spec? I'm a bit out of touch for current models etc

Or, can someone point me to an appropriate thread on here?

Cheers
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've had bad Sonys.
    Forum Member
    I've had bad Sonys.

People have had bad 'every-things' :p

The two top brands, and most reliable brands, are Sony and Panasonic - by a a considerable margin.

Unfortunately their higher quality parts and level of construction means that BOTH are losing money on every TV they sell, as they can't compete with the cheaper lower quality sets from Samsung and LG.
  • brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks

So one final question, slightly off topic, if I had about £500 to spend on a new set, what should I be looking at - brand and spec? I'm a bit out of touch for current models etc

Or, can someone point me to an appropriate thread on here?

Cheers

At work the only LCD failure we've had was with a Samsung - similar faults as yours - spent lots on boards but never cured it - that's the value in scrap panels...the boards.
    We've got lots LG gear and - cheap(ish) and it works.
    Recently bought some of their razor frame plasmas and really like them.
    Providing your don't want a smart or 3d TV this LG from Amazon is very good.

Incidentally I've just got a Minix Neo X5 to deliver 'smart' content to my TV - along with all the other features of Android - fantasic gadget.
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Not Panasonic. They are horribly hobbled to only work in one country rather than throughout the EEC.

Which the vast majority of buyers would consider a big advantage, as it's no concern to almost everyone.
    Forum Member

Don't Samsung manufacture a lot of the LCD panels for Sony?
    Forum Member

No, S-LCD did most, which was a joint venture between Samsung and Sony. Prior to that some panels were bought from Samsung, amongst a number of others.

But what's the relevance anyway?, the LCD panel is only one component in a TV - Panasonic buy many of there's in as well (as do Samsung and LG for that matter :D).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brillopad wrote: »
    spent lots on boards but never cured it - that's the value in scrap panels...the boards.

If the OP wants to get the maximum return for his scrap set, he could strip it down, photograph each of the PCB's and sell them individually on ebay.

Make sure you list ALL the identification numbers on the boards, and the model of the set they came from.

That will take longer, as some of the boards may not sell first time. Set a sensible starting price so you don't sell them too cheap, and if they don't sell, try again later.

If you are selling stuff that may not sell quickly, wait until ebay do a free listing weekend, usually about every third week.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sony use LCD panels from various manufacturers including AUO, LG, Chimei Innolux, Samsung etc.
    Forum Member
    No, S-LCD did most, which was a joint venture between Samsung and Sony. Prior to that some panels were bought from Samsung, amongst a number of others.

But what's the relevance anyway?, the LCD panel is only one component in a TV - Panasonic buy many of there's in as well (as do Samsung and LG for that matter :D).

I was just interested in why you seem to have written off Samsung as being a cheap brand when a lot of manufacturers, as you point out, share a lot of their components.

To some extent I agree that you get what you pay for, but there is a lot of marketing hype that goes into making us consumers believe that we are making a lifestyle choice and opting for a superior product, when in reality there is very little to choose between a lot of the brands nowadays. A lot of the Samsung TV's are getting good trade reviews at the moment and I think they are starting to get over some of the reliability issues they had a few years back. Some of their higher priced TV's are competing for market share with some of the Sony TV's so I don't think the addage that Samsung is a cheap brand is that true any more. It's certainly not a perception I have about the Samsung brand any more whereas a few years ago I may have thought like you.

Oh and by the way, I own a Sony Bravia TV- so I guess I also bought into some of that marketing hype:D
    Forum Member
    I was just interested in why you seem to have written off Samsung as being a cheap brand when a lot of manufacturers, as you point out, share a lot of their components.

I've never said Samsung were a 'cheap' brand, but a mid-range one.

No one suggested that other manufacturers share a LOT of the parts with Samsung TV's, only the LCD panels - it's the other parts which cause problems that don't occur in the better makes.

To some extent I agree that you get what you pay for, but there is a lot of marketing hype that goes into making us consumers believe that we are making a lifestyle choice and opting for a superior product, when in reality there is very little to choose between a lot of the brands nowadays.

Lifestyle choices are B&O or Bose, both of which are vastly over priced, where you're paying for the name. With Sony/Panasonic you're paying mostly for better quality, with perhaps a small amount for the name?>

A lot of the Samsung TV's are getting good trade reviews at the moment and I think they are starting to get over some of the reliability issues they had a few years back.

One would like to think so :D
    Forum Member
    Ok.... So is it worth me considering smart and 3d?

#noviceatwork!
  • Sir HarveySir Harvey Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Ok.... So is it worth me considering smart and 3d?

#noviceatwork!
    Only if you want your TV to have a high level of being futureproofed! :cool: