'Cheers' or 'Frasier'?

woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
Forum Member
✭✭
I've wondered before about whether or not people preferred the character of Frasier Crane on 'Cheers' or his own spin-off, but since 'Cheers' is being repeated at the moment, I began to wonder which of the two shows people prefer overall.

I'm torn, as I really enjoy both. 'Cheers' has perhaps a more comfortable feel about it, and can boast two distinct (but enjoyable) 'eras' - the Diane years and the Rebecca years whereas I felt that Frasier began treading water midway through its run and never really shook things up. Then again, 'Frasier' had brilliant performances, a cracking character in Niles and some great farce.

In a pinch, I'll go with 'Cheers' - although ironically that's because Frasier and Lilith were such standout characters on it!

Which was better: Cheers or Frasier? 198 votes

Cheers
31% 63 votes
Frasier
68% 135 votes

Comments

• RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both superb in my opinion. But Cheers would get my vote, Frasier did deteriorate considerably towards the end.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both superb in my opinion. But Cheers would get my vote, Frasier did deteriorate considerably towards the end.

I agree - I think that 'Frasier' what at its best when Frasier Crane still resembled the character he had been on 'Cheers' (roughly the first three seasons). After that, he became 'Nilesified' and the guy who had high-brow tastes but could still enjoy a beer and would roll his eyes at his brother's pomposity started to just compete with him to see who could be the biggest snob.

I think 'Frasier' might have been better in its later seasons if they'd brought in a long-term love interest who could hold her own against him (the way Lilith did on 'Cheers'). All we got was season after season of him being a loser in love, chasing a succession of cardboard cutout female characters who could have been played by anyone. Even the woman he eventually went after at the end was as dull as dishwater and had no chemistry with Grammer. He played a larger than life character and really needed a larger than life partner to spark off of (as he did with Shelley Long and, moreso, Bebe Neuwirth).
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frasier was more my era than Cheers, but I have watched all of both and the good Doctor gets my vote.
  • GoodLuckCharmGoodLuckCharm Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Frasier gets my vote
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frasier! I've just finished watching them all through again for the 4th or 5th time and found myself still belly laughing to some of the jokes... That's something I can't even get from Friends these days, and that was my all time favorite show growing up.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can watch Frasier episodes over and over and over again.
    Cheers is a bit too dour but I do like it

Looky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mWiPaQ872c
  • pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love both shows but cheers gets my vote
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frasier is currently on Channel Four in the mornings.

I love both programmes, but I'd side with Dr Crane. He's listening!
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frasier. There were a few characters I hated though - Daphne's family in particular. I also disliked his agent (Beebee ?) and I think it went downhill a bit when Niles and Daphne got together.
    Also, Martins relationship with a woman young enough to be his daughter creeped me out a bit.
    But overall, Frasier does it for me. :)
  • FlannerzFlannerz Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Frasier for me
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frasier is currently on Channel Four in the mornings.

I love both programmes, but I'd side with Dr Crane. He's listening!

I can't think of a time when it hasn't been on it in the mornings! Along with Everybody loves Raymond
  • 19741974 Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I voted for Cheers. Frasier was good, but Cheers had a far better range of characters, that all bounced well off one another.
  • DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both are outstanding, but Frasier takes it for me - I agree with the idea that it's more my era, but also characters like Diane (I preferred the Rebeccaa years) and particularly Carla got irritating after a while. The only regular character on Frasier that I couldn't stand was Daphne's mother, and she was only really in the later years. Both had great partnerships, sharp writing and re-watch quality.

Both shows sit proudly on my DVD shelf. In fact, they might soon be due for a re-watch...
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers all the way for me.

I loved (almost) all the characters and how they interacted with each other. I cared about what happened to them. I couldn't take to Frasier at all (even the "song" at the start made me grit my teeth) and I couldn't care less what happened to any of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    I love both equally, but Cheers gets vote. There would be no Frasier without Cheers.
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just want Frasiers apartment....so yeah. Frasier!!!
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frasier - much more funnier that Cheers.
    To be honest I don't get the hype about Cheers.
    My husband adores it
  • MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved them both, but has been many years since watching, so impossible to choose now.

Frasier was sharper comedy-wise, but Cheers had that feel-good factor.
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Cheers, for me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frazier was a far better show. Probably the best spin off of all time.
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Frasier. There were a few characters I hated though - Daphne's family in particular. I also disliked his agent (Beebee ?) and I think it went downhill a bit when Niles and Daphne got together.
    Also, Martins relationship with a woman young enough to be his daughter creeped me out a bit.
    But overall, Frasier does it for me. :)

This - agree with everything you say - I couldn't abide Daphne's family with their different accents. But I absolutely love the older episodes, it still remains my favourite comedy!
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member
    both were pretty equal in my book, though it's weird re-watching the old Cheers some 30ish years later.

I think Frasier had better word play from the writers, but Cheers shared the laughs around post-Diane.

Roz sometimes felt like a fifth wheel early on
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also torn as both were superb imo, but I would have to vote for Frasier purely because of the utterly wonderful David Hyde-Pierce as Niles. :cool:
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    both were pretty equal in my book, though it's weird re-watching the old Cheers some 30ish years later.

I think Frasier had better word play from the writers, but Cheers shared the laughs around post-Diane.

Roz sometimes felt like a fifth wheel early on

I think Roz was underused throughout the series (as were the KACL group, a lot of the time). Frasier is known (rightfully) for its high brow references and intellectual comedy - but Cheers had this in spades when Diane was around.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cheers for me. It was my favourite comedy in the 80's. Went off a bit towards the end, but even then it was still very good.