The Comic Strip Presents ‘Five Go To Rehab’

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been waiting 30 years for this!:eek:

Blah blah missing scientist, blah blah leave it out blah blah ...

Three decades after the renowned Five Go Mad in Dorset, Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French, Peter Richardson and Ade Edmondson return to celebrate 30 years of the series, with The Comic Strip Presents ‘Five Go To Rehab’, which premieres on 7th November on GOLD at 9pm.

The famous children’s characters have been brought back from the past to confront today’s modern world, but this time they must account for their outmoded racist and sexist views. But the quintet seem blissfully unrepentant as they gather for a reunion on Dick’s birthday in leafy Dorset – still a magical land of rolling hills, woods, ruined castles and dodgy villains in big black cars.

New trailer

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GitIzA7mkwY

FAB :D

Comments

• TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mainstream TV has become so safe and PC that even mockery of sexism/racism is seen as dangerous territory for them.

So off to GOLD it goes, or DAVE. Golly!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Mainstream TV has become so safe and PC that even mockery of sexism/racism is seen as dangerous territory for them.

So true. I See what you did there ;)

"I say Ju that man looks foreign".
    "Yes, I expect his name's Gollywog yes or Tarzan ha ha ha ha ha".

"I think we'd better call the police just as soon as we get back to Kirrin cottage".
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to this. I hope it lives up to my expectations.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Richardson has aged badly. The others look pretty good for their age.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    I don't have Gold :( Pee'd off !
  • georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I don't have Gold :( Pee'd off !

I say, old bean, that's jolly bad luck! Do they have one of those online catch-up channel thingeys?
  • TJ-67TJ-67 Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be on youtube before too long.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    I say, old bean, that's jolly bad luck! Do they have one of those online catch-up channel thingeys?

By jingo's never thought of that :D I will take a peek when the time comes .. I think TJ-67 hit the nail on the head .. The spiffing inventing called Youtube will have it :D

Top hole ;)
    Forum Member
    When I saw the first trailer I only spotted Edmonson, Richardson, Frech & Saunders.

I saw another trailer yesterday and was happy to see Mayall, Coltrane and Planer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Lashings of ginger beer' :p

I love The Comic Strip, especially A Fistful of Traveller's Cheques,Gino and Mr Jolly

'Elephant and Castle, shove it up your arsehole!'
  • fallenshadowfallenshadow Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Can't wait, there is also a documentary about it tonight
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last few attempts at a new Comic Strip have been dire imo, so I hope they can get it right this time around.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MEW TOWN wrote: »
    I've been waiting 30 years for this!:eek:

The famous children’s characters have been brought back from the past to confront today’s modern world, but this time they must account for their outmoded racist and sexist views. But the quintet seem blissfully unrepentant as they gather for a reunion on Dick’s birthday in leafy Dorset – still a magical land of rolling hills, woods, ruined castles and dodgy villains in big black cars.

FAB :D
    Apologies for being OT but..it's sad that the two isms above have entered our vocabulary and seem to have been spoon fed to the present youngish generation - yet are quite meaningless terms, usually meaning whatever any particular malcontent wished them to
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was kind of funny 20 years ago. Not now.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the one with Rik Mayall.About the wild west.
    Fistful Of Dollars?.He was sitting in a train snarling at a nun 'old woman!'.
  • fallenshadowfallenshadow Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    I liked the one with Rik Mayall.About the wild west.
    Fistful Of Dollars?.He was sitting in a train snarling at a nun 'old woman!'.

It's a Euro Rover, old man!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    Apologies for being OT but..it's sad that the two isms above have entered our vocabulary and seem to have been spoon fed to the present youngish generation - yet are quite meaningless terms, usually meaning whatever any particular malcontent wished them to

The vast majority of foreign characters in the Famous Five books were criminals, which at the very least is xenophobic
    Forum Member
    revolver44 wrote: »
    The last few attempts at a new Comic Strip have been dire imo, so I hope they can get it right this time around.
    I don't know. I thought Four Men in a Car was very good and funny.

The "gold" scene is a classic :D
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    The vast majority of foreign characters in the Famous Five books were criminals, which at the very least is xenophobic

There were plenty of indigenous criminals / low life represented in the books - as well as members of the 'non-lawabiding community' who were also members of 'the travelling community'. Those in the 'surly cigarette smoking youth community' weren't ignored, as neither were members of the 'unwashed Gypsy with the surname Smith' community.

I recall nothing in the books to suggest that Ms Blyton was in any way biased or discriminatory against the depiction of the home grown criminal and under classes.

Some might see her as a bit of a visionary, given the propensity for the less than consistently legal propensities shown by those who prefer stealing from our ATM's to those at home in Romania, or those hard working mobile civil engineering entrepeneurs keen to offer to tamac your drive with 'leftovers from a nearby completed job for a bargain price.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Is it on in HD at all? GOLD seems to be the only uktv hannel without a HD channel (i appreciate most of the content is not HD but some of the newer stuff is)
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

Nonsense. Have you seen Harry and Paul on BBC2?

GOLD is a pay channel. It needs original content to stimulate revenue.
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,846
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »

They were different times with different values....Virginia Woolf (of the Bloomsbury Group) was racist but then so were many people in those days. Remember the B & B with the signs saying "no Irish, no blacks"? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight

Don't forget to pack your lunch!

"Ham and turkey sandwiches, heaps of tomatoes, fresh lettuce and lashings of ginger beer" Hoorah!

"Why don't you just park up and take your clothes off and I'll show you a little gypsy trick"
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch GOLD everyday and didn't know there was a new Comic Strip. You would they would have advertised it at some point on the channel!
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »

"The hunt for Tony Blair" was great:D

Even back in the day Comic Strip was rather hit 'n miss for me.