Samsung KIES desktop software...

PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone actually got this shite working?

I've tried it on 2 laptops & a desktop. It takes longer than iTunes to install & I have yet to make a single successful backup using it. Not impressed like.

Comments

• SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I have given up and now use AirDroid.

Your right it is a big dollop of poo.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are correct. luckily there are many alternatives to choose from.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Works fine for me and took much less time to install than itunes ever did.
  • m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is useless..

I just backup to Sd card and Dropbox with titanium back up. It's set to do it in the middle of the night as the backup to Dropbox can take a while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope its total crap.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are correct. luckily there are many alternatives to choose from.

You'd think Samsung could write software for their own phones that actually worked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does root mean in terms of apps? I keep seeing it.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Obviously it's not universally 'crap' as it's working fine for some and I have no problems with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Obviously it's not universally 'crap' as it's working fine for some and I have no problems with it.

I've never really used it because it reminds me of iTunes too much! It's really clunky though! I tried to use it to hey my iPhone contacts but out didn't work because I was on iOS 6.
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utter Garbage.

To those who have never had any problems with it, I wouldn't count my chickens. It worked for me for a bit, but now won't back anything up no matter what I try. Moreover, while I was looking in vain for a solution, I heard a number of alarming complaints from those who thought there had been no problem, as backups completed successfully. However when they needed to retrieve them they found it was impossible to restore the phone.

Why Samsung went to all that trouble to produce crowd pleasing and acclaimed phones, only to undermine their good name by releasing some of the crappiest software imaginable to go with them, is a mystery to me. You almost wonder if apple have hatched a cunning plan to insert an iAgent into Samsung's software department as part of their iVandal campaign of industrial sabotage.

I can't understand how Samsung can be unaware of the widespread complaints about this piece of junk. Hopefully they'll take note and sort the bleddy thing out.
    Forum Member
    Utter Garbage.

To those who have never had any problems with it, I wouldn't count my chickens. It worked for me for a bit, but now won't back anything up no matter what I try. Moreover, while I was looking in vain for a solution, I heard a number of alarming complaints from those who thought there had been no problem, as backups completed successfully. However if saind back ups were ever needed found it was impossible to use them to restore the phone.

Why Samsung went to all that trouble to produce crowd pleasing and acclaimed phones, only to undermine their good namel by releasing some of the crappiest software imaginable to go with them, is a mystery to me. You almost wonder if apple have hatched a cunning plan to insert an iAgent into Samsung's software department as part of their iVandal campaign of industrial sabotage.

I can't understand how Samsung can be unaware of the widespread complaints about this piece of junk. Hopefully they'll take note and sort the bleddy thing out.

Well in fairness, apple produce crowd pleasing phones yet itunes is absolutely bollocks!

Ive been using it on both my S2 since release and now my S3 since July and haven't had any issues at all.

Although ive only used it for backups which have worked several times over and to update the phone. I use Kies Air to pull files and Kies Air Message to send texts from the PC and they work fine. There has been a good few updates to Kies over the last few months which have improved it a lot.

Kies itself isnt great and it is a bit clunky, but Kies Air and Kies Message are superb.
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Well in fairness, apple produce crowd pleasing phones yet itunes is absolutely bollocks!..

True, but I'm at a loss to understand how that's relevant. This thread doesn't appear to have intended by the OP as yet another tedious apple v android bitchfest.

The one thing about itunes is that you can get a version that's been modified by independent programmers in order to strip all the bloatware and make it half-decent. Someone should do something similar to fix Kies if you ask me.
    Ive been using it on both my S2 since release and now my S3 since July and haven't had any issues at all.

But loads of people have. You must be aware of that.
    Although ive only used it for backups which have worked several times over and to update the phone. I use Kies Air to pull files and Kies Air Message to send texts from the PC and they work fine. There has been a good few updates to Kies over the last few months which have improved it a lot.

No version, updated or not, works for me. I don't appear to be alone.
    Forum Member
    True, but I'm at a loss to understand how that's relevant. This thread doesn't appear to have intended by the OP as yet another tedious apple v android bitchfest.

No ones turned it into that. You asked how samsung can make crap software yet make a superb phone and i was showing another example. So its perfectly relevant.
    The one thing about itunes is that you can get a version that's been modified by independent programmers in order to strip all the bloatware and make it half-decent. Someone should do something similar to fix Kies if you ask me.

Possibly. Never seen that itunes before to be honest,.
    But loads of people have. You must be aware of that.

Yes, and you must be aware more people have no issues than ones who do. No point getting snippy about it to be honest.
    No version, updated or not, works for me. I don't appear to be alone.

I'm sure your not. I was simply giving my opinion on it that its worked for me perfectly. Its not the best but it does the job for me.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kies just updated for me yesterday to version 2.5.0.12104_15 and is now running like shit off a shovel and considerably faster than before. Nice one Samsung, you seem to have listened. :)
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    When my sister was having trouble with it we cleared out all the junk from her computer and it's now working properly. I can't help thinking, that some with problems have other issues other than Kies itself.
    As artnada say's the latest update is flying here.....
  • stevenmcgstevenmcg Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

True, but what is very very relavent to the thread is that at least Samsung dont force you to use their crap software. I installed it, found it was crap, then used third party for absolutely everything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevenmcg wrote: »

Doesn't work on my i7 64bit win 7.

iTunes may be shite, but at least it works lol.

All I want to do is back up the freaking thing, texts, contacts etc. What a joke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't work on my i7 64bit win 7.

iTunes may be shite, but at least it works lol.

All I want to do is back up the freaking thing, texts, contacts etc. What a joke.

I use wondershare on my 64bit win7. What problem are you having exactly? You have enabled usb-debugging right and rebooted once the drivers installed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o I just did yes.

It would appear to be working now :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really good, I like it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really good, I like it.

Cool, good to hear :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't display the correct size for the sd card though. Some of the features for the pro version actually look worth paying for so I'll give it a month & if it continues to work well I'll buy it.

Thank you for the link.

I should add that it never exactly inspires me with confidence when I see a dialogue with "Are you sure to exit" on it lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another nice app is AirDroid. Its quite nice because you dont even need to install any software on your PC/Mac. Its through a browser.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to install it to force a software update to occur (S2 Orange branded, no update on phone but there was on Kies).

Very slow, lots of "chinglish", and yes it wouldn't back up the phone either. It did manage to update the phone though.

I'm glad that it wasn't my phone, it's yet another reason I wouldn't own a nasty plasticky Samsung thing (Google Nexus possibly excepted)