Options

Should Christopher Nolan stay away from comic book heroes?

Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
Forum Member
His Batman trilogy and the Superman film was good but I feel that they didn't stay traditional to the Batman and Superman stories. They didn't have the classic magical Batman and Superman feel like previous films and series had.
They are just too explosive wih ott fiht scenes.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His Batman trilogy was the best set of Batman films I have seen. He never had special powers and the villains didn't always have superpowers - and considering he was introduced in the Detective comics the films did have more than a hint of detection in them.

For me, it was the closest to what I would expect Batman films to be - they had more than a hint of The Dark Knight Returns comic book.

The Batman films certainly did not have OTT fight scenes...the fight scenes were quick, fast and infrequent - Batman took people down quickly and effectively.
  • Options
    twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batman Begins, The Dark Night, were both fantastic easily the best Batman movies made. The Dark Night Rises didn't blow me away like the first 2 maybe a second viewing might change my mind but the joker from the Dark Night was an impossible act to follow. Is he making another superhero film?
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    twogunthom wrote: »
    Batman Begins, The Dark Night, were both fantastic easily the best Batman movies made. The Dark Night Rises didn't blow me away like the first 2 maybe a second viewing might change my mind but the joker from the Dark Night was an impossible act to follow. Is he making another superhero film?

Nah Superman is his most recent.
  • Options
    twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I could choose a Superhero for Nolan to do it would be The Silver Surfer, the Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer was criminal.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    Was he that involved with Superman? The studio make a big play of his name, but its not his vision.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    He's as good a man as any to do superhero films. I have thoroughly enjoyed all 4 that he has been connected with giving him a 100% enjoyment rating from me.

Not all directors who have tried superhero films have got that from me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Was he that involved with Superman? The studio make a big play of his name, but its not his vision.

His story (with David S. Goyer), his production company, he's a producer. He's as involved as he could possibly be without writing or directing the thing...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's made 3 incredibly successful (both publicly and critically, with stunning box-office numbers) Batman films which too many are the best Batman films (and comic book films) to ever be made. Why should he stay away? He isn't stupid, Batman could be done realistically it's not like he'd put that method into every comic book film he'd do if he was to do more.

I agree that he shouldn't be part of the writing/directing of a Justice League as he has shown he isn't great at balancing a big cast like Whedon is. He is a great story man though and has a good eye on how to bring something like Batman or Superman down to a more realistic (not completely) and accessible level for the audience.

For MoS he only had a impact on the story and slightly on the writing. Other than that (so pacing, structure, majority of the dialogue) was down to Goyer and Snyder. He effectively left quite early to focus on TDKR but checked back every now and again. The story itself for MoS was very good it just wasn't exactly told in the best way.
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has tried to bring a more adult/realistic feel to the genre - which I like.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He can do it inception was pretty good :)