There were so many genres from the end of Punk to New Romantic to bloody SAW

Also just realised most of my itunes are 80s
:D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    again

Just cause it was the best era for music IMO
    There were so many genres from the end of Punk to New Romantic to bloody SAW

Also just realised most of my itunes are 80s
    :D

i had to keep re reading this as i keep refering to SAW to the horror series :D, when its written like SAW i think of the films, but i now get it stock aitken waterman, and i love both :p
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    It's my fave era too.
  • NickKamenNickKamen Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Over the past few months I've discovered so many different 80's artists, in fact the majority of what i now listen to is 80's, i love the industrial sounding pop that they had going, like Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation etc. :)
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the worst decade for pop music. Only in the '80s could Phil Collins have become so big. Then there was Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms, which was on the charts for years and nobody owns up to liking it today. Which tells you something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    Probably the worst decade for pop music. Only in the '80s could Phil Collins have become so big. Then there was Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms, which was on the charts for years and nobody owns up to liking it today. Which tells you something.

Completely disagree, there was loads of great pop music around in the 80s, in the charts or otherwise. Yeah there was rubbish like Phil Collins too, but there has been rubbish in the charts in every other decade too.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    embryo wrote: »
    Completely disagree, there was loads of great pop music around in the 80s, in the charts or otherwise. Yeah there was rubbish like Phil Collins too, but there has been rubbish in the charts in every other decade too.

agreed.

at least in the 80's for all its faults you had a respectible amount of new, original, and vibrant music.... can you really say the same about todays unoriginal, generic material?
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 80's is full of extreme highs and rock bottom lows.
  • CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything could (and did) happen in the charts in the 80s - a very spontaneous and eclectic decade, and the era that music really evolved and diversified.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member

Ok I'll admit it, I love Brothers in arms
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Ok I'll admit it, I love Brothers in arms

So do i!

And Phil Collins and SAW!
    Forum Member
    So do i!

And Phil Collins and SAW!

I draw the line at SAW. Phil Collins was a good musician... arse of a guy tho.

Ditto with Mark Knopfler. Only downside of Brothers in Arms is his use of the word F***ot
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

But Gold by Spandau Ballet was released in the 80s! A motherlode of a song!:cool:
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes 80s were good. There was some good stuff I s'pose you could broadly call "arse end of punk"/New Wave, then Indie really exploded and then Rave/Acid/Baggy. All the while there was loads of solid staples in the world of pop/rock. Dunno if it's relevant/linked but wasn't 80s when videos (and MTV) took off? I reckon that sort of jump-started things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    For me when you compare the 80's to the 90's, the 80's shine that much brighter.

For me that is a fact due to the wide range of material released during that decade.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me when you compare the 80's to the 90's, the 80's shine that much brighter.

For me that is a fact due to the wide range of material released during that decade.

... for me the 90's shone not brighter, but differently.

which 'best of' the 80's or 90's depends upon what mood im in. my fav 80's tracks were the early electro sounds and guitar/indie. my favs of the 90's are trance tracks from the late 90's... hard to compare as both styles have a special place in my life.... but different ones.
    Forum Member
    Bands like INXS and SIMPLE MINDS produced their best work in the 80's.

Not to leave out ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN,U2,DEPECHE MODE.

All great bands.
    Forum Member
    Bands like INXS and SIMPLE MINDS produced their best work in the 80's.

Not to leave out ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN,U2,DEPECHE MODE.

All great bands.

Ditto, and Blondie, altho their best stuff was in the 70s
    Forum Member
    Ditto, and Blondie, altho their best stuff was in the 70s

Yeah i agree with that statement.

Blondie were great in the 80's.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    The 80s gave us The Smiths, it gave us plenty of other great music too but even if it had just given us The Smiths i would be able to forgive it for all the crap it also produced
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I draw the line at SAW. Phil Collins was a good musician... arse of a guy tho.

Ditto with Mark Knopfler. Only downside of Brothers in Arms is his use of the word F***ot
    Then again, Knopfler wrote Money for Nothing from the perspective of a white-goods stockist - and was derived from the stream of invective actually heard by them when they were over in the States while MTV was playing out on one of the shop's TVs.

Imagine quote marks around the whole of the lyric - it's basically a blue-collar "Nice work if you can get it". And back in the late '70s and early '80s, a lot of Septics WOULD have talked a lot about soft-metal acts "looking like ****". Crossref to the average parent's response on seeing David Bowie performing Starman in 1972 on TOTP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    Crossref to the average parent's response on seeing David Bowie performing Starman in 1972 on TOTP.

ha, brings back memories of the massive debate in our house between my parents and grandparents regarding what sex boy george actually was when culture club made their first appearance on TOTP
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone who was into indie music in the 80's here's a real treat:

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=4169

"Scared To Get Happy" - a 5-CD retrospective of classic 80's indie tunes - a real anorak's delight!

It's not out until June, though. Can't wait!
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

You do get that within the context of the song the word is there to make a point about the person using it? He's not endorsing it. It's like Elvis Costello using the phrase 'white ni**er' in 'Oliver's Army'.
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    You do get that within the context of the song the word is there to make a point about the person using it? He's not endorsing it. It's like Elvis Costello using the phrase 'white ni**er' in 'Oliver's Army'.

Yes I get it :rolleyes: doesnt mean I like it