malware problem

Hi there. I hope someone can help, my laptop has been slow for a while and became difficult to use. I had to uninstall some unwanted software that I downloaded without knowing what I was doing. Been using Norton internet sucurity for about a month and all it found was cookies. I re-booted spybot as haven't used it in ages, updated it and did a scan! Well it found tons of stuff, hijackerc, malwarec, pups and all manor of things but spybot couldn"t remove any of it, it did suggest I may have to do this as an adminstrator, how do you do this but I suspect it won"t work with this method having read some other threads about this.advice and suggestions would be appreciated. This happened about 3 yrs ago and guys on here helped me greatly.
Last question is why does Norton not see thses problems?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Last question is why does Norton not see thses problems?

If it is an old version, its not much good. Much the same could be said for Spybot.
    Download Malwarebytes, the free version and untick the trial before installing. Run a quick scan initially and remove what it finds.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Download and install Malwarebytes. http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/. Make sure you click on the grey Free download button and when that redirects you to a download site make sure you click the correct download button (helps to have an ad blocker add on with your browser to lose some of the spurious buttons on these sites that get in the way)

Run that and hopefully it will sort things out. Malwarebytes is a very effective tool for getting rid of malware. I used to have Spybot but haven't used it in years, I do however have Malwarebytes installed.
  • innes_calaninnes_calan Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Hi there, I used to use spybot and malwayrebytes a couple of years ago but had to romoce all or part whena friend gave me a free norton package. I did try and download malwayre bytes but kept getting directed to a site called major geeks and thats where I mistakenly downloaded registry cleaners. Will follow your leads and try that, although if I remember rightly malwayrebytes could or did upset some settings, I'm getting a day javu feeling coming on!
    Thanks again
    One for the mods, I could only log in through my tablet but couldn't through my home or work computer! I'm not going to log out of this site from my tablet to keep contact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never known Malwarebytes affect any PC I have ever loaded it onto. Are you absolutely sure you were installing the real thing and not something pretending to be Malwarebytes?

As I posted above you need to read the webpage that Malwarebytes directs you to for the download very carefully. I have seen several sites where the ads are far more prominent than the actual Malwarebytes download section and it is all too easy for the unwary to click the first big shiny "Download Now" button they see and install something they didn't want at all. That's why i would strongly advise using an ad blocker on such sites as that will get rid of the majority of these spurious buttons.
    Forum Member
    Hi Chrisjr, when u get to the page for fileform.betanews .com is it the blue button on the top right that says download now, there is one underneath it saying buy now, got there after clicking the grey download button on malwarebytes.org.
    Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    If it is an old version, its not much good. Much the same could be said for Spybot.
    Download Malwarebytes, the free version and untick the trial before installing. Run a quick scan initially and remove what it finds.

Hi Liontiger in case I use your route on filehippo.com which route do I take is it the download button on the left [green) or is it the blue outlined word under the top title or the download prompt in blue on the top right?

Thanks again for your help
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Chrisjr, when u get to the page for fileform.betanews .com is it the blue button on the top right that says download now, there is one underneath it saying buy now, got there after clicking the grey download button on malwarebytes.org.
    Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.
    Ignore anything that says Buy Now! You don't need to pay a single penny for a functioning version of Malwarebytes. The paid for version just adds a few bells and whistles that are not necessary to scan and clean your PC of infections.

Also be aware that on the very last screen of the installer you may see a number of tick boxes. One of which may be "Trial Version" (or words to that effect). Make sure you untick this box (it will be ticked by default). If you do it installs a time limited trail of the Pro version and will nag you to pay for the Pro version at the end of the trial.

So only tick it if you do want to upgrade to Pro. As we have discovered on other threads about Malwarebytes it's not always that easy to get rid of the trial version if you just want to keep the free one!
    Forum Member
    Hi Liontiger in case I use your route on filehippo.com which route do I take is it the download button on the left [green) or is it the blue outlined word under the top title or the download prompt in blue on the top right?

It is on the top right 'download latest version 9.81MB'.
    At the last stage of installing wherever you download it from there is a 'enable free trial' box that needs to be unticked.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The free one is 9.81 megabytes. Pay attention to any tick boxes for trial versions and pointless toolbars (if there are any).

p.s. Norton is a complete waste of money, will slow your computer down and requires special tools to remove all traces of it. Use AVG Free or Avast instead. I've been using AVG for years, but I know that some people prefer Avast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can only see the green download button. The blue "malwarebytes" link is to the Pro version. As I posted above ignore the paid for options unless you really do want those features.

So go for the green button.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have looked at that link & turned off my ad blocker to see what "other stuff" is shown. On the right hand side of the screen, I can see in blue "Download latest version" (next to the large white & green button) & underneath "9.81MB". Thats the link to download the latest (V 1.75) version of Malwarebytes.

After it has installed, look closely at the options you are offered. The default option is to run Malwarebytes as the Pro version free for a certain time (probably 1 month). This will run Malwarebytes in the background in real time mode. If you don't want the free trial, make sure you untick this box just after installation.

edit...Sorry for repeating some of the info given above, but in the time it took me to compile this post there have been 4 more replies! :D
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »
    I have looked at that link & turned off my ad blocker to see what "other stuff" is shown. On the right hand side of the screen, I can see in blue "Download latest version" (next to the large white & green button) & underneath "9.81MB". Thats the link to download the latest (V 1.75) version of Malwarebytes.

I always try and leave links that don't lead to other sites for the download so if Filehippo has it then that is the link I leave.
    The trouble is that I can't see the other links on the Filehippo page even with Adblock + disabled it looks like THIS, it must be my hosts file blocking them.
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always try and leave links that don't lead to other sites for the download so if Filehippo has it then that is the link I leave.
    The trouble is that I can't see the other links on the Filehippo page even with Adblock + disabled it looks like THIS, it must be my hosts file blocking them.

From that page just click 'download latest version if it doesn't start automatically ,Norton is piece of sh#t and should never be used no-matter how free ,seen it get countless p.c.'s infected as long as you hand money over it will tell you everything is alright and simply stop's detecting/removing malware , they make their money of newbies ,shameless company who don't care your using ancient security that malware just bitch slaps the code onto machine and bypasses 90's hardware ,seen more p.c. get infected when using this that had hot dinners , I know they promise the earth but worst security ever ,don't know why they get away with scamming people from their hard earned cash , but some government's (cough) benefit with p.c.'s a schoolkid could hijack IMO they only reason they survive
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is how I see the site in IE9 & Firefox with no ad blocking:-

http://imageshack.us/a/img708/9214/x9k8.jpg

This is IE9 with Tracking Protection:-

http://imageshack.us/a/img692/2764/kmjy.jpg

This is Firefox with Adblock Plus:-

http://imageshack.us/a/img713/9564/rkoc.jpg
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »
    This is how I see the site in IE9 & Firefox with no ad blocking:-

http://imageshack.us/a/img708/9214/x9k8.jpg

Firefox with Adblock+ disabled .......

http://s15.postimg.org/o9fzluw1n/Mbytes.png
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just gone to Filehippo with Ad Blocker turned off. I got two big Start Download buttons, each three times the size of the real one. Neither button has any text nearby to tell you they are actually ads for other products.

That is really naughty. How the hell is anyone not particularly savvy to these things supposed to know that neither of these big inviting buttons is going to download what you actually went to that page to obtain.
    Forum Member
    This is why I don't see them.
    The only disadvantage is that some links now and again give me this but I don't mind about that.
    Forum Member
    Hi there, I used liontigers link and used the top right access, had to abort my first attempt, the second worked but no grey tick box to undu trial, I went through all the next pages untill the last and there was only 2 tick boxes and no option to undu trial, did a quick scan and ir froze @ 32 objects in fact I had to force the lappy to clse 4 times as it did it again and again, stopping at 32 objects butshowing differnet times and different files.
    Funny enough during this I clicked on quarrantine and it displayed colums of pups making me think this was the programme I had installed when I last used it as it removed a lot of pups! Anyway I removed the programme and gave up as it was late. Should I try with other links, I need to remove the malware and adware as it, s seriously effecting my use of the computer.
    Thanks in advance
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double check you really are installing Malwarebytes. Compare what you have to the screenshots here

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_pro/#screenshots

This is for the Pro version, the Protection tab screen will probably not look the same but the other tabs should.

Once installed try running it with Windows in Safe Mode (boot up the PC and press F8 repeatedly till you get a text menu, select Safe Mode). Safe Mode turns off a lot of stuff that Windows loads automatically on boot up so might let you run Malwarebytes properly.

There are some nasties out there that actively try and prevent you running Malwarebytes because it is such an effective tool. It is possible you may have one of those on-board. If you suspect that is the case have a read of this...

https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/20872371-Use-Chameleon-to-run-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-on-infected-systems

That might help do a proper scan.
    Forum Member
    Hi there, I used liontigers link and used the top right access, had to abort my first attempt, the second worked but no grey tick box to undu trial, I went through all the next pages untill the last and there was only 2 tick boxes and no option to undu trial
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Double check you really are installing Malwarebytes. Compare what you have to the screenshots here

It is the correct Malwarebytes, as chrisjr discovered when we were talking about it a few weeks ago. I too was only getting the two boxes and no trial to untick ..... the reason being is that having had Malwarebytes before without the trial version, the trial is not offered again.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1873991&page=3

I agree try safe mode etc and if that doesn't work try rkill which should stop any malware running and allow you to run Malwarebytes.
    Forum Member
    Hi again, followed the instructions to boot up I safe mode and then did a quick scan, it completed , thenthe buttom appeared 'romove selected so I ticked the 115 entries and clicked remove, it stopped almost at the end for about 5 mi s then completed now I have another pop up box cllaed mbam log notepad, it, s off the screeen and can't see where I click off or do another comand, sorry just dragged the page over and clicked off to find an urgent message to restart, ther was another pop up saying I think failed but it has now re-booted.........waiting! Now doing a spybot scan to see if there is anything left........
    Yontoo. Pagerage 11 entries adware
    Incredibar 101 entries hijackersc
    I won, t go on it looks like everything is still there, I probably didn' react quickly enough when once I clicked remove..
    F***********************%
    Will try the safe mode again then be more quicker!
    But I'm sure u guys will advise me otherwise.
    Thanks alot for the help so far....not giving up.
    Forum Member
    Last try of the night, can someone tell me, when I get tonthe stage with malwarebytes that I have performed a scan do I have to actualy click on every entry it found before asking it to fix the problems?
    Thanks in advance.....the last time I had this problem it took me ages to fix it, I can, t remember what I did but the help on forum was invaluable.
    Forum Member
    Ok, a re-scan with malware didn't find anything, checked with the quarentine section and it was full of pups, but the wife was on the pc after the first scan and everything was still sticking.
    Need to look at this with fresh eyes tomorrow!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would do a full scan if I were you. The fact that it found so many when you did a quick scan indicates that there might be more malware lurking around.

It takes a lot longer to do a full scan, but would be worth it.
    Forum Member
    Let spybot do a search insafe mode and it was able to get rid of more than malware did, so doing a scan in admin rights, waiting fot results! Hopfully
    Ot giving up yet