How do you train as a verified 'Sky Installation Engineer' ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
Forum Member
Hi there,
Does anyone know, how a person trains / qualifies to be a bon-ified 'Sky Installer / Engineer' ? Are there any courses, that you can go on, to train / become qualified ? Also, what about training for other Satellite Systems training ? Are there any courses ?

Would be grateful, someone could give me some information ?

Many thanks

Michael (Nottingham)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I guess you want to become a Sky installation technician. This must not be confused with an engineer.

You must be must higher qualified to be an "Engineer". I am one, I studied until I was 26 years old. "Engineer" (Derived from Ingenieur in French) is a well known word in continentel Europe for people with a degree in engineering (like a medical doctor, etc.).

Today it was decided by the UK government that British kids have to learn foreign languages too. Hopefully the word "engineer" will finally be understood and gain repect. As a result the UK may once again become the greatest manufacturer of goods DESIGNED in the UK!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    According to Sky all you need is a lock up, a van, two ladders and a cockney accent and you're qualified. You may want to go on the course entitled 'Putting the dish where the customer least wants it' but it's not compulsory.
  • lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To get Sky accreditation, you need to attend a 3 day course at a Sky training centre and pass a multiple choice test at the end.

If you've done anything similar before - It's a doddle!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have anymore information on the Sky Course - email contacts, web site (URL) info etc... ?

What about the course - do they train you up 1st - on how to install a digi system, using a meter etc... ? What about, setting-up other satellite (s) systems / motorized etc... any courses for these too, or does the Sky Course cover this type of installation also ?

Michael (Nottingham - UK)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Forgive me if i'm being a bit picky, but why don't you ask Sky?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought skys idea of and 'sky' engineer was just an excuse to priny money. We payed 50 quid for our instalation and it took then about 20 minutes which means £150 an hour for mr murdoch and the installer :mad:
    trust me mate just paint sky in big blue letters on a 3 wheeler and stick a ladder on the roof when you arrive plug a few wires in and hey presto you can give up your day job :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    We payed 50 quid for our instalation and it took then about 20 minutes which means £150 an hour for mr murdoch and the installer

so how much did you pay for the box then?

also its amazing how many people who are 'real' engineers
    get right out of their basket at the thought of other people being called same after 10 days theory and 10 days practical( which by the way is the requirement to be a sky in home services'INSTALLER' ) or 3 days theory to be a contractor

or 3 days theory and 20 days in 'how to slag off sky installers and learn how to rip off customers whilst trying to look like a hero' to be an independant
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fair point about the cost of the box but i dont see whay they need to charge £60 to re allign your dish all you need it one of those multi grip spanners which i think are advertised on one of the many tacky shop tv programmes (whats the point? so much bandwidth wasted) and then you jsut need to turn the dish until you pick up a signal (i've done it befor with no qualms)
    Forum Member
    £60 is the sky service call charge, people moan about paying it when all the installer does is change a coax plug to get someones system up and running again but you also pay the same amount if you need a replacement box & dish (which sky charge £215 and £99 respectively if you just want to purchase them)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Well I hope you end up better than the chap who came to install my mini dish.

He said standing next to my 1.2meter dish, wheres your existing dish !

I installed the mini-dish my self after that remark.
    Forum Member
    well no one said we were required to see, just fit dishes:-)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by man at sky

so how much did you pay for the box then?

also its amazing how many people who are 'real' engineers
    get right out of their basket at the thought of other people being called same after 10 days theory and 10 days practical( which by the way is the requirement to be a sky in home services'INSTALLER' ) or 3 days theory to be a contractor

or 3 days theory and 20 days in 'how to slag off sky installers and learn how to rip off customers whilst trying to look like a hero' to be an independant

10 days theory and 10 days practical to become an engineer?

Bloody hell, I'm on the wrong course :D
  • malcommalcom Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote:
    Hi there,
    Does anyone know, how a person trains / qualifies to be a bon-ified 'Sky Installer / Engineer' ?

Yep! give him a chocolate drop every time he gets something right.

:D:D
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by andyk22
    I thought skys idea of and 'sky' engineer was just an excuse to priny money. We payed 50 quid for our instalation and it took then about 20 minutes which means £150 an hour for mr murdoch and the installer :mad:
    trust me mate just paint sky in big blue letters on a 3 wheeler and stick a ladder on the roof when you arrive plug a few wires in and hey presto you can give up your day job :)

I wished sky installers got £150 an hour
    you a free dish, free box what more do you want for £50.
    BTW what job do you do?
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Michael Ronan
    Hi there,
    Does anyone know, how a person trains / qualifies to be a bon-ified 'Sky Installer / Engineer' ? Are there any courses, that you can go on, to train / become qualified ? Also, what about training for other Satellite Systems training ? Are there any courses ?

Would be grateful, someone could give me some information ?

Many thanks

Michael (Nottingham)

You could try contacting the CAI there phone number is 020 8902 8998 & they should be able to point you in the right direction
    Forum Member
    Who are the CAI ?

Michael

You could try contacting the CAI there phone number is 020 8902 8998 & they should be able to point you in the right direction
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    cowboys and indians
  • TheCableGuyTheCableGuy Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by pastyman
    cowboys and indians

lol
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by pastyman
    cowboys and indians

CAI is the confederation of aerial industries.
    Does pastyman think he is a comedian? BTW don't give up your day job
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I have to agree with Frank2 as well as a few of the other members.
    An engineer used to be a respected title but nowadays it seems every man and his dog can be an engineer once he has sat in front of some geezer for a couple of days explaining the finer points of generating crap excuses why something cannot be repaired i.e. in the case of the Digibox....it is the weather, the software, the colour of the Digibox etc etc..
    I recommend that if someone wants to be a Sky engineer then the first thing to learn is how to drill four holes in a wall, the rest will come from the vast experience that they will obtain as they go through life blagging customers!!!

I have been waiting to get that of my chest for ages!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by TaylorC
    I have to agree with Frank2 as well as a few of the other members.
    An engineer used to be a respected title but nowadays it seems every man and his dog can be an engineer once he has sat in front of some geezer for a couple of days explaining the finer points of generating crap excuses why something cannot be repaired i.e. in the case of the Digibox....it is the weather, the software, the colour of the Digibox etc etc..
    I recommend that if someone wants to be a Sky engineer then the first thing to learn is how to drill four holes in a wall, the rest will come from the vast experience that they will obtain as they go through life blagging customers!!!

I have been waiting to get that of my chest for ages!!!

I have an HND and still baulk at calling myself an engineer, although I do, why should some numpty with no qualies get away with it when I worked hard, would love to do a degree but can't afford it, house mortgage son 2 cats and love of hypo motorcycles will see that never happens.

I have to say tho' in serious industry the term means a lot, what would make senior or principle engineer in one trade would be technician in another.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    If my memory serves me correctly one of my lecturers during my ONC days showed the class the following details in terms of status in the engineering world:

ONC/D - Engineering Technician status

HNC/D - Technical Engineer status

DEGREE - Status depended on what course was taken (but obviously a higher status than the above was attained)

I do believe however that things have now changed as the number of people with such qualifications has risen dramatically so institues (IEE etc) will now only look at a degree as a minimum entry level into their organisation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Firstly I must object to the numerous and plain mean coments being posted in reply to this persons request for information!
    Sky in Home Services 'technicians' are grossly overworked and underpaid staff who at the moment are being battered by a company who think they can pick up and drop people for fun.

Secondly there are only a handful of staff who would claim to be engineers the majority are happy to be installers which is just what they are.

Thirdly If you have a problem with Sks's pricing/ training or staff IQ's then bring it up when somone moans about Sky.

Yes I am a Sky technician and have a engineering qualification albeit a OND in mechanical and production engineering.
  • cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    What link do I click on to apply for the 3 day course?
  • pedro2000ukpedro2000uk Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TaylorC wrote: »
    I do believe however that things have now changed as the number of people with such qualifications has risen dramatically so institues (IEE etc) will now only look at a degree as a minimum entry level into their organisation.

That's true & at the same time education levels have dropped through the floor ... today's degrees & A levels are nothing like they were as are attitudes & outlooks of students & grads ... I blame Thatcher undermining it [& everything else] & Blair then messing with it more & going for 'numbers', instead of just undoing what she did. We now live with a generation that have come through a post Thatcher education mess that starts at infants & is IMO rotten all the way through - just get 'em to spell