dentisty and jobseekers allowance

Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
Forum Member
im currently on jobseekers allowance and i have to goto the dentist tomorrow as i have a abcsess and need it treated.

my question is qould i have to pay for the treatments and medication?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,360
    Forum Member
    As far as I can tell, you may be elligible for some help if you are claiming income based Job Seekers Allowance. I think you may need to able for a Help With Health Costs Certificate though:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Healthcosts/Pages/Dentalcosts.aspx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member
    You shouldnt have to just all your jsa documents with you if you do have to pay then they will refund you the money
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Most practices have computerised systems. Take your JSA evidence along with you to your appointment so the receptionist/dentist can check it over. You will be exempt from NHS charges.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    thanks everyone, and pogo ogo i remember years ago when i was on jsa i could get the things like caps and filling etc for free but i never needed medication so does jsa cover that as well? as i might ... well probably will need some.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,360
    Forum Member
    Presctiptions are free if you are claiming Income Based Job Seekers Allowance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was on JSA I had to pay for my treatment.
    There was a list of other benefits but JSA was not on it.
    Take your money and be prepared to pay incase.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member
    Presctiptions are free for all in wales
    Forum Member
    *marv* wrote: »
    thanks everyone, and pogo ogo i remember years ago when i was on jsa i could get the things like caps and filling etc for free but i never needed medication so does jsa cover that as well? as i might ... well probably will need some.

Provided it is an NHS prescription you will be getting, you will again be covered by JSA and it will be free. There are three bands for NHS dentistry:

Band 1 - Basic check up, x-rays, scale and polish

Band 2 - Root fillings, extractions, fillings (not due to cosmetic reasons)

Band 3 - Dentures, crowns, bridges (anything requiring lab work which isn't purely for cosmetic reasons)

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_083817

If you want things doing for purely cosmetic reasons (i.e. the dentist doesn't deem the treatment to be necessary to your health) you will have to pay the private charges that the particular practice charges for private caps (crowns) etc. If you want gold crowns - again you will be charged.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pogo ogo wrote: »
    Provided it is an NHS prescription you will be getting, you will again be covered by JSA and it will be free. There are three bands for NHS dentistry:

Band 1 - Basic check up, x-rays, scale and polish

Band 2 - Root fillings, extractions, fillings (not due to cosmetic reasons)

Band 3 - Dentures, crowns, bridges (anything requiring lab work which isn't purely for cosmetic reasons)

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_083817

If you want things doing for purely cosmetic reasons (i.e. the dentist doesn't deem the treatment to be necessary to your health) you will have to pay the private charges that the particular practice charges for private caps (crowns) etc. If you want gold crowns - again you will be charged.

Is it income based JSA or contribution based?
    Or is it any JSA?
    Forum Member
    Summer__x wrote: »
    Is it income based JSA or contribution based?
    Or is it any JSA?

I think it is income based that gives the exemption and not contribution based.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    im on Income based, thanks pogo ogo :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    I did not know about this when I went to the dentists. It is a week later, I phoned up the dentists who said only JSA can refund the money, and phoned JSA and they said only dentists can refund the money. It is ridiculous. It is also ridiculous that with all the time I spent setting up JSA and going to meetings the dentist thing was never mentioned, and there weren't any posters in the dentist waiting room either. How was I supposed to know about this? =[

It was an NHS job done at a private place for some reason and I've had a refund before for when I didn't have the form on me which said I was a student.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    What happens if you are on contribution based JSA, but that's only because you paid enough National Insurance? Can you still claim free dentistry?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Okay, phoned back dentist and they say to collect or download an HC5D form and send it off with receipt. Maybe that will help someone else too.
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moogle301 wrote: »
    Okay, phoned back dentist and they say to collect or download an HC5D form and send it off with receipt. Maybe that will help someone else too.

exactly right, go in and ask the dentist about it at reception, they will give you a form, and it works on a refund basis, you will have to pay and you claim it back by sending off the receipt with the form. Same for people at Uni, you pay and claim it back.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens if you are on contribution based JSA, but that's only because you paid enough National Insurance? Can you still claim free dentistry?

No,

There are no concessions such as free prescriptions, glasses or dental care for those on Contribution based JSA/ESA.

DLA, Carers allowance, Incapacity benefit and Tax credits don't get you any sort of concessions either.. although if you really don't think you can afford your prescriptions you may be able to get a certificate of low income, but they'd look at each case on it's own merit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    No,

There are no concessions such as free prescriptions, glasses or dental care for those on Contribution based JSA/ESA.

DLA, Carers allowance, Incapacity benefit and Tax credits don't get you any sort of concessions either.. although if you really don't think you can afford your prescriptions you may be able to get a certificate of low income, but they'd look at each case on it's own merit.

So if you couldn't afford the £50 for a filling (or whatever it is), what would happen then?
  • Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    why do we have to pay for dentists, but not doctors?? i dont understand the logic, i havent been to the dentist for 5 years because i refuse to pay :eek::D but my teeth and gums seem fine, so hopefully i wont have to go
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if you couldn't afford the £50 for a filling (or whatever it is), what would happen then?

If you go in there, expecting to get it for free but at the end they ask for money and you have none?

You'd probably be sent an invoice.. possibly, or the dentist might just call the police citing that you refuse to pay.. whatever would happen if anybody walked in there 'expecting' free treatment because they didn't check first.

It's lucky that the OP can get an NHS Dentist! :eek: I can't even get one so I just don't bother.. I can't afford private treatment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaymitch1 wrote: »
    why do we have to pay for dentists, but not doctors?? i dont understand the logic, i havent been to the dentist for 5 years because i refuse to pay :eek::D but my teeth and gums seem fine, so hopefully i wont have to go

I haven't been to a dentist for 5 years and as far as I know, my teeth are in decent enough condition.. they look alright, I always brush hard and take care of my teeth so I don't believe it's necessary to have 6 monthly appointments, and I haven't needed a filling or any work done since I was about 12 or so.

I know many similar people who haven't been to a dentist for years, due to cost.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No,

So what is a tax credit exemption card/certificate then?:confused:

As a working single parent I get one and don't pay for dentistry or prescriptions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what is a tax credit exemption card/certificate then?:confused:

As a working single parent I get one and don't pay for dentistry or prescriptions.

Apologies, there is a caveat of types,

Yes, you can get a tax credit exemption certificate if either:
    • You receive Child tax credit, but are not eligible for working tax credits
    • You receive the disability element of working tax credit; or
    • Your annual income is £15,276 or less and you receive both WTC and CTC

If you are eligible it's sent automatically.. but it's not 'standard'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No,

This from The NHS website

You can get free NHS prescriptions if, at the time the prescription is dispensed, you:

•are 60 or over,
    •are under 16,
    •are 16-18 and in full-time education,
    •are pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months and have a valid maternity exemption certificate (MatEx),
    •have a specified medical condition and have a valid medical exemption certificate (MedEx),
    •have a continuing physical disability which means you can't go out without help from another person and have a valid MedEx,
    •hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disability,
    •or you are an NHS inpatient.
    You are also entitled to free prescriptions if you or your partner (including civil partners) are named on or are entitled to an NHS tax credit exemption certificate or a valid HC2 certificate (full help with health costs), or you receive either:

•Income Support,
    •Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance,
    •Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or
    •Pension Credit Guarantee Credit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies, there is a caveat of types,

Yes, you can get a tax credit exemption certificate if either:

You receive Child tax credit, but are not eligible for working tax credits
    You receive the disability element of working tax credit; or
    Your annual income is £15,276 or less and you receive both WTC and CTC

If you are eligible it's sent automatically.. but it's not 'standard'

Or a great accountant :D
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I expect the presumption is that if you have enough money not to qualify for means-tested benefits, then you'll be able to afford dental work.

Once you've given everything in your bank to your dentist, you'll then qualify for income-based JSA...