New BBC site launch, today

Comments

• LightofTruthLightofTruth Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new BBC News website looks amazing. But I think it would be nice to have a choice between the old and the new website :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    looks good, but why the wasted space on the right hand side of the story? there's over an inch between the text and the side bar!
  • muldranmuldran Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Love it. Shame they haven't removed HYS though; it's always full of the worst of the UK's armchair experts.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Far too much whitespace for my liking.

Hopefully it's just a temporary thing and will be fixed soon.
  • BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very nice site, i like the update. The news page was always old and never really looked anywhere near as decent as the front page, not sure how the website cost them £110 Million a year though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Looks good to me but they appear to stopped you 'mix and matching' the local news and the weather.

I can have my local news but the weather from 20 miles away OR my local weather but the news from 40 miles away.

Seems a definite step backwards.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomthecat wrote: »
    Looks good to me but they appear to stopped you 'mix and matching' the local news and the weather.

I can have my local news but the weather from 20 miles away OR my local weather but the news from 40 miles away.

Seems a definite step backwards.

Works fine for me.

1) on the homepage, click edit next to the Weather gadget, enter postcode.
    2) save settings when prompted
    3) go onto news homepage and down to "UK News" with bluey background, click edit location, enter postcode, save settings = done!

My weather and news is fine.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks a bit Sky-ish.

[Edit to add - not going down well with the punters based on the comments here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2010/07/bbc_news_website_redesign_2.html

I imagine once people get used to the new look they will be fine with it. Does somewhat smack of change for change's sake. But I suppose they have to spend their £150 million interweb budget somehow]
  • Early RiserEarly Riser Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Nope a right mess, 5/10 from me.:(

Atrocious layout of space and columns, and too many different fonts and sizes, plus, I've never liked the cherry colors of their top banners.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree. A right mess
  • LuSiVeLuSiVe Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Works fine for me.

1) on the homepage, click edit next to the Weather gadget, enter postcode.
    2) save settings when prompted
    3) go onto news homepage and down to "UK News" with bluey background, click edit location, enter postcode, save settings = done!

My weather and news is fine.

But it tells me that the postcode is shared between the news and weather site, so I can't have different ones, and with my postcode I get Derby news when I've only been to Derby twice in my life. I want Sheffield news, weather for my North Derbyshire address, and I'd like my Chesterfield FC news back too ...
  • Pete_ukPete_uk Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I's diffrent, but I suppose I like it!

I like the local weather and news thing at the bottom
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of Sky News. :(
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I haven't yet tried it myself but my dad has, he says its useless and harder to find things on. He was just complaining about it a moment ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Burstfire wrote: »
    Very nice site, i like the update. The news page was always old and never really looked anywhere near as decent as the front page, not sure how the website cost them £110 Million a year though.
    That's old figures! Gone up since then.

Apparently the BBC spends £199.3 million for online services last financial year 2009/10
    BBC websites cost users 67p per month

The BBC spent £199.3m on its BBC Online service in 2009/10, according to its annual report - 12% more than the previous year.

The outlay is 6% of the £142.50 annual licence fee, or the equivalent of £0.67 per month…

BBC websites cost users 67p per month - the Guardian
  • radiobloke2004radiobloke2004 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC websites cost users 67p per month - the Guardian

The ammount I use the site, seems like good value to me. Certainly beats paying the likes of the Times a £1 a day.

One thing I will say, the white gap is a bit odd to the right hand side. Looking at the dimensions, I wonder if they will allign the things like the media player and quotes under the right hand side "related stories" bit.

Guess it's teething problems though, and should be fixed soon.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LuSiVe wrote: »
    But it tells me that the postcode is shared between the news and weather site, so I can't have different ones, and with my postcode I get Derby news when I've only been to Derby twice in my life. I want Sheffield news, weather for my North Derbyshire address, and I'd like my Chesterfield FC news back too ...

Guess it depends on where you live, I live in Coventry and it displays the news perfectly fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    welcome to cnn2.co.uk :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member

Perhaps it's just Derbyshire then. If I put in my postcode I get the news for Stoke (which is over 40 miles away) but the weather for South Derbyshire.

I can't find any way to change this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The homepage looks ok but the news pages look dreadful. It was much more streamlined before whereas now it just looks like a huge chunk of different things just put all together in a big block. It's probably enough to stop me using it.

The menus remind me a bit of the News Channel graphics (which I also hate). Its a shame really as I thought the old news site was pretty much perfect, same with the News Channel before the rebrand. Same goes with the Digitalspy rebrand.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be able to have news on my football club appearing on the News page, but it is not there now.

Has anyone found out how to add it?
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judging by the freedback in the comments section people are not happy with it lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Fry tweets thumbs up to BBC News redesign, iPhones users mixed response.

http://www.beehivecity.com/hightech/bbc-news-web-redesign-finally-unveiled-to-stephen-fry-approval876123/
  • LightofTruthLightofTruth Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only thing that bugs me is the space left and right of the contact and the boldness :)
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
    Forum Member
    Serves you right then!! :D

I like the new site. But it's in the style of the new Sky and CNN looks.