Windows 8 BluRay Software?

wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
Forum Member
✭✭
Just upgraded to Windows 8 and loving it but my LG BluRay writer came bundled with Cyberlink Power DVD9 which was great with Win 7 for BluRay viewing on the PC. Sadly it's not supported in Windows 8 and the new version is Power DVD12 which costs $49 to upgrade! I have tried VLC's latest version and although it claims BluRay support it is crashing after just 2 seconds opening a BluRay disc.

Anyone had a similar experience and found a good solution?

Comments

• SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same thing again, the manufacturers knew windows 8 was coming out, so why didn't they get the drivers ready for it in time? reminds me of vista :rolleyes:

I have same problem with some drivers, software and with my board. Soon as i put them on, the system mucks up :mad:
  • Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digiarty.com/

That's the only freeware BluRay player I know of.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ended up upgrading to Nero 12 which comes with a Bluray player (not the best solution i know, sorry)
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm confused as to why programs, or even drivers, won't work in Windows 8, if they worked happily in Windows 7? :confused:
    I thought they were basically the same under the hood, apart from the Metro bit?

Perhaps I was just lucky when I upgraded, but all my programs and drivers work in 8 just the same as they did in 7. Even old XP programs.

(I realise this is of no help to the OP sorry :o)
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam Law wrote: »
    http://www.digiarty.com/

That's the only freeware BluRay player I know of.

Just downloaded it and it seems fine with some BluRays and rejects others. Still it's 100% more than I had so happy days. Thanks for the link.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    I'm confused as to why programs, or even drivers, won't work in Windows 8, if they worked happily in Windows 7? :confused:
    I thought they were basically the same under the hood, apart from the Metro bit?

Perhaps I was just lucky when I upgraded, but all my programs and drivers work in 8 just the same as they did in 7. Even old XP programs.

(I realise this is of no help to the OP sorry :o)

A small change could require a large change under the hood and generally most companies won't rewrite drivers for stuff thats no longer for general sale and MS will also change how things work with each version of the OS so a program that expects a certain response from a Win 7 system may freak out when it gets the same thing from a Win 8 machine at a low level
  • Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just downloaded it and it seems fine with some BluRays and rejects others. Still it's 100% more than I had so happy days. Thanks for the link.

You're welcome :)