Lost DVD and VCR tape? how to get back? Does DVD player keep record?

I have lost a VHS tape which had sentimental videos on it, I played it on my VCR and also on my DVD/VCR combo player. Does a VCR or a DVD/VCR combo player have maybe some kind of hard drive or way to get them back, like could it have recorded it somehow even though I only played the VHS tape on the VCR and on the DVD/VCR combo? like what a PC does? The last time I played the VHS tape on the VCR and the DVD/VCR Combo was maybe back in 2002. Im not very technical and just was hoping? Anyone know?

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    books wrote: »
    I have lost a VHS tape which had sentimental videos on it, I played it on my VCR and also on my DVD/VCR combo player. Does a VCR or a DVD/VCR combo player have maybe some kind of hard drive or way to get them back, like could it have recorded it somehow even though I only played the VHS tape on the VCR and on the DVD/VCR combo? like what a PC does? The last time I played the VHS tape on the VCR and the DVD/VCR Combo was maybe back in 2002. Im not very technical and just was hoping? Anyone know?

No, DVD's and VCR's don't do anything of that kind.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but no unless you specifically select the record option its not going to keep a copy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    Sorry, but no unless you specifically select the record option its not going to keep a copy.

Ohh I didn't realize you could even get DVD/VCR combos that you can put in a VHS tape and record directly onto the same DVD/VCR machine?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    was it a tv programme ?? or film ?

if it was camcorder maybe someone has a copy of the original ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    No it was just old memories from a camera :( But nothing I can do about it now. I did play it on another DVD/VCR combo a few years ago, but Im not sure if it had a recording feature on it? as the DVD/VCR combo is under a whole load of old furniture and would take a good day to dig it out. If its not possible that a DVD/VCR combo can record a VHS tape at all when its played, then theres not point in my spending a day looking for it. So basically what your saying is that no DVD/VCR combo has a way of making a copy of a VHS tape if you play it in the machine? am I correct?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    No it was just old memories from a camera :( But nothing I can do about it now. I did play it on another DVD/VCR combo a few years ago, but Im not sure if it had a recording feature on it? as the DVD/VCR combo is under a whole load of old furniture and would take a good day to dig it out. If its not possible that a DVD/VCR combo can record a VHS tape at all when its played, then theres not point in my spending a day looking for it. So basically what your saying is that no DVD/VCR combo has a way of making a copy of a VHS tape if you play it in the machine? am I correct?

If the DVD/VCR combo has a DVD recorder then it could record onto a DVD but it would only have done that has you specifically asked it to record.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the DVD/VCR combo machine has a recordable DVD section then it is entirely possible that it could record from VHS tape to DVD disk.

However, to do so requires you to have done the following

1/ Insert VHS tape into VCR section
    2/ Insert a blank recordable DVD disk into the DVD drive
    3/ Press PLAY on VCR
    4/ Press RECORD on DVD

If all you did was 1 and 3 but not 2 and 4 as well then no copy of that tape will have been made. 2 and 4 will not happen by themselves. Even if the machine had a hard drive in it and you substitute Hard Drive for DVD in the above 2 and 4 would still have to have been done by you.

And of course even if you DID do 2 and 4 you would still have to try and find the disk you put in the machine!
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member

It will make a copy to a DVD recorder or a hard drive if it has one attached.

VCRs don't (unlikely for technology invented in 1976) and most DVD/VCR combos don't have a hard drive.

Even if they did, they would only copy to another format with your permission - automatic copying to another format would bring up endless legal problems with regards to copying copyrighted material. And would unnecessarily increase the cost, complexity and size of such a product.