'Nancy's Steps' - London (question for 'Oliver!' fans..)

tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
Forum Member
✭✭✭
(cutting a long story short) I was on YouTube watching 'Oom Pa pa' from the film 'Oliver!' (felt like it that's why :p) and under the comments section someone put "In London, the steps where Nancy takes Oliver to "be free" are actually titled 'nancy's steps".

However my question is, are these infamous steps where all this from the movie was filmed or something else? Because I googled it and they don't look like the steps from the film!

Petty I know but I want to know :p

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they're the steps in the book for sure
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (cutting a long story short) I was on YouTube watching 'Oom Pa pa' from the film 'Oliver!' (felt like it that's why :p) and under the comments section someone put "In London, the steps where Nancy takes Oliver to "be free" are actually titled 'nancy's steps".

However my question is, are these infamous steps where all this from the movie was filmed or something else? Because I googled it and they don't look like the steps from the film!

Petty I know but I want to know :p

http://www.ukattraction.com/london/nancys-steps.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_(Oliver_Twist)

http://www.lostindustry.org.uk/walkLondonbridge.htm

Nancys steps are indeed part of London Bridge and there is a Plaque there , now whether they used the same steps in filming or if they used a set is another matter.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »
    they're the steps in the book for sure

But she doesn't go to the steps at all in the book (apparently..according to wikipedia :p). So how can they be!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are you sure?

maybe in the book she was beaten to death on the Cobb at Lyme Regis. Rings a vague bell
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the book she is killed in her room. It is a chilling scene.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's where the fateful conversation takes place that seals Nancy's fate
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's where the fateful conversation takes place that seals Nancy's fate

Ah..sorry. I haven't seen the film for years. Will dig the book out and look
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what I remember from the book is the first paragraph, which was a complete clunker. It probably had the word "evince" in it. And the picture of Fagin in his condemned cell, which wouldn't pass muster these days
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are these infamous steps not where the film scene took place?

I re-watched the scene and thought it looked too expensive to recreate a set for the time the film was made so it just had to be the real location :p doubt it though.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the steps in the film are open - the ones in the picture on the link have a sort of tunnelled top.
    Was that bit filmed in the studio, which was probably Shepperton.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Nancy's Steps' do sort of look like the ones based from the movie (even if they wern't the steps used to shoot the scene(s) in the movie).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay I think I may have found my answer (though please correct me if I'm wrong as I really would like to know for sure).

I read online that the steps in the movie where Nancy tries to see off Oliver and is eventually killed by Bill Sykes ARE the steps used in the movie but pretty much all of it was later removed and deported somewhere (Arizona I think it said :confused:) but "they" (whoever they may be) kept strictly the steps.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay I think I may have found my answer (though please correct me if I'm wrong as I really would like to know for sure).

I read online that the steps in the movie where Nancy tries to see off Oliver and is eventually killed by Bill Sykes ARE the steps used in the movie but pretty much all of it was later removed and deported somewhere (Arizona I think it said :confused:) but "they" (whoever they may be) kept strictly the steps.

God Immigration were harsh in those days ! :D

The old London Bridge was sold and exported to the USA but the steps remained.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

so, the steps are probably the "right" steps, but between the book and the film, the "wrong" thing happened there
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so, the steps are probably the "right" steps, but between the book and the film, the "wrong" thing happened there

Yes basically :D

From what I can gather (though still not sure)...

These 'Nancy's steps' were where her movie death was filmed (the 1968 musical film). But whoever created Nancy's plaque got it muddled. (Unless the plaque was made/put up BEFORE the movie was filmed...in which case, I am baffled!.....(another scenario:) The plaque may have been there way before the film was made, but the film took inspiration from the title/meaning of the steps so they acted Nancy's death there as a sort of nod to it? Oh dear, who knows!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought (as of yesterday) that the plaque or the name had been there long before the film, and also on Google that it gets stolen now and again. It's not in the same league as "Abbey Road" I suppose, but seeing you're such a fan of the film, I wouldn't be surprised if you popped along there one dark night and jemmied it off the wall........:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought (as of yesterday) that the plaque or the name had been there long before the film, and also on Google that it gets stolen now and again. It's not in the same league as "Abbey Road" I suppose, but seeing you're such a fan of the film, I wouldn't be surprised if you popped along there one dark night and jemmied it off the wall........:D

I most certainly would not! :p

Anyway, when someone steals it, does the council or whoever just get a new one made and put back there? :confused:
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    At that time nearly all movies were filmed in totality on sound stages, so its unlikely the real steps were used.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I most certainly would not! :p

Anyway, when someone steals it, does the council or whoever just get a new one made and put back there? :confused:

why are you wondering about all that, if you haven't already thought of pinching it?
    anyway, if it's the Council that replaces it, that's the same as being free anyway :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why are you wondering about all that, if you haven't already thought of pinching it?
    anyway, if it's the Council that replaces it, that's the same as being free anyway :)

Thanks. I'll get back to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've still found out no further on Nancy's steps :(