Les Miserables

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I assume going through that amount of sewage would make anyone ill.

I have read that it was chocolate
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,913
    Forum Member
    Hi

I am aware of Les Miserables but have never seen it (the stage production or the film). A friend of mine wants to see this at some point. Will I be able to keep up if I don't know the storyline beforehand?

Thanks
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Hi

I am aware of Les Miserables but have never seen it (the stage production or the film). A friend of mine wants to see this at some point. Will I be able to keep up if I don't know the storyline beforehand?

Thanks

You don't need to have read the book or see the stage show. It's a movie so it's just one piece :) Enjoy!
    Forum Member
    You don't need to have read the book or see the stage show. It's a movie so it's just one piece :) Enjoy!

Good. Thanks for the speedy reply.
  • somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit late to the party. Saw the stage show a few years ago and wasn't taken with it so wasn't in a rush to see it, so went as nothing else was on that evening. Really glad I did as it worked for me so much better this time. AH doing a sterling job on her 'I dream a dream', really nailing the despair of the character. Bought the soundtrack. Great movie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :p I'm anticipating a rush of posts in the future saying they were disappointed with the stage show, the film was much better.
    I always have to weigh up whether to read a book before or after seeing the fim as one always lets me down, initially.
    Same with film and stage. Totally different experiences. Which ;) in my unbiased, humble opinion, are both absolutely brilliant. I enjoyed the film on the big screen much more by the third viewing. It's really taken over as my thing to watch.

Shame, because the O2 was brilliant, but spoilt as I just have to FF Nick Jonas every time he starts squeaking. So 10th Anniversary remains my concert of choice.
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,141
    Forum Member
    I first saw Les Mis with the original cast and to be honest it left me a bit underwhelmed. I noticed a woman in the front row crying her eyes out and I remembering thinking what is she on about.
    It took a second visit to really get into it and and after seeing it seven times it has become my favourite musical of all time.
    If I have a teeny preference it is for the stage version but the film was excellent...
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    Shame, because the O2 was brilliant, but spoilt as I just have to FF Nick Jonas every time he starts squeaking. So 10th Anniversary remains my concert of choice.

I suspect that Russell Crowe was hired for the same reason that Jonas was hired. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have the 25th Anniversary DVD and Nick Jonas was not a very good Marius. Oh well! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit to say I hope it makes a third weekend at the box office #1.

I really want a director's cut DVD :D
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All this snow is doing it no favours at the box office......bad times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ImOnlyWee wrote: »
    All this snow is doing it no favours at the box office......bad times.

What the hell :confused:
    Forum Member
    I'm seeing this tonight with a friend. I booked tickets online seeing as it works out cheaper. I have absolutely no idea of what to expect. We're gonna grab dinner beforehand. No overpriced popcorn for us ;)
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the hell :confused:

What the hell??

How much it made last week was much less than it would have because of all the snow, lots of people not being able to get to the cinema. Hopefully it'll make up for it now the snow is going away. I thought that was pretty obvious.... :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I'm seeing this tonight with a friend. I booked tickets online seeing as it works out cheaper. I have absolutely no idea of what to expect. We're gonna grab dinner beforehand. No overpriced popcorn for us ;)

Hope you enjoy it! :)
    ImOnlyWee wrote: »
    What the hell??

How much it made last week was much less than it would have because of all the snow, lots of people not being able to get to the cinema. Hopefully it'll make up for it now the snow is going away. I thought that was pretty obvious.... :confused:

Sorry- I think my post was misinterpreted (or I misinterpreted yours :p)
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    I thought Samantha Barks was fantastic - there is some debate about the 'realistic' style of the singing generally but there's no argument about hers, she is terrific because no matter what she's doing in terms of the physical action, she can really carry the melody and sing through every note perfectly without gulping for air or stopping short. She also looked stunning at the premiere and when the principle cast left she alone got a great cheer from the rest of the bit-part cast in the audience - it's her first film but I doubt it will be her last, she looks like a star breaking through.

Eddie Redmayne is a great actor, I've seen almost everything he's done on TV and in film and he's on top form here. I was pleasantly surprised with his voice, though I don't think anyone will ever catch Michael Ball on Marius in terms of pure singing. Without giving anything away there's one bit where Eddie is just reacting to someone else, he doesn't sing or speak, and it's very powerful purely because of his subtle expressiveness. He lights up every scene he's in, he's perfectly cast.

Finally got to see the film today and I would echo that. She was by far the best peformer there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :pI'm anticipating a rush of posts in the future saying they were disappointed with the stage show, the film was much better. I always have to weigh up whether to read a book before or after seeing the fim as one always lets me down, initially.
    Same with film and stage. Totally different experiences. Which ;) in my unbiased, humble opinion, are both absolutely brilliant. I enjoyed the film on the big screen much more by the third viewing. It's really taken over as my thing to watch.

Personally I would say the opposite. I thought hte stage show was better :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore 'On My Own',

I agree :). For me it is the best song in Les Mis (I don't get the adoration for I Dreamed A Dream)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalian wrote: »
    I agree :). For me it is the best song in Les Mis (I don't get the adoration for I Dreamed A Dream)

I agree, absolutely love it.

I do love 'IDAD' it's a very tragic song in many ways, but I do prefer 'OMO'. I love how in many of the songs they are in tune of a previous song.

For example, Fantine's part's in 'Epilogue' are in the tune of 'One Day More' etc.
  • GalindaGalinda Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I suspect that Russell Crowe was hired for the same reason that Jonas was hired. :o

For the teenyboppers?!!??

Crowe wasn't as bad as jonas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galinda wrote: »
    For the teenyboppers?!!??

Crowe wasn't as bad as jonas.
    Oh god, No. Russell is growing on me the more I watch it. Acting wise he gives a bit more roundness than the stageshow does, same with the relationship between JVJ and Cosette. Added to making Marius less of a wimp it gives much better charactisations than they could on stage.
    Doesn't mean I've abandoned my biannual trip to London to get my "fix". Both stand up to any amount of scrutiny.. I did always say my opinions are totally unbiased. Ha! ;)

I always thought they'd stuck him in to get more teenies and Americans to buy the DVD.

Whatever, he looked a couple of months older than Gavroche and a successful boy band performer/pop star does not a musical star make.
    See Gates Gareth
    Steps H
    for further proof.

To have millions introduced to the character by his portrayal was the worst bit of casting by Cameron Mackintosh ever. He usually gets it spot on. Samantha Barks was born to play Eponine. Even better than Frances Ruffelle and way better than Lea Salonga.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalian wrote: »
    Personally I would say the opposite. I thought hte stage show was better :)

:D Given the number of times I've seen it, I'd agree with you. Nothing beats a live theatre experience.
    But while I really liked the film the first time,I now love it. I'm now appreciating lots of little tweaks and plot lines that are hidden in the pages of the mahoosive book and wouldn't work on stage. Whoever wrote the screenplay deserves an Oscar. Subtle, but oh so right.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've not read every page (too many!) so this could have been answered.. someone said they saw AH singing IDAD in the trailer having her hair cut? they filmed the song twice, once with her having her hair cut as she sang, and when they cut the trailer they weren't sure which they would use
  • GalindaGalinda Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh god, No. Russell is growing on me the more I watch it. Acting wise he gives a bit more roundness than the stageshow does, same with the relationship between JVJ and Cosette. Added to making Marius less of a wimp it gives much better charactisations than they could on stage.
    Doesn't mean I've abandoned my biannual trip to London to get my "fix". Both stand up to any amount of scrutiny.. I did always say my opinions are totally unbiased. Ha! ;)

I always thought they'd stuck him in to get more teenies and Americans to buy the DVD.

Whatever, he looked a couple of months older than Gavroche and a successful boy band performer/pop star does not a musical star make.
    See Gates Gareth
    Steps H
    for further proof.

To have millions introduced to the character by his portrayal was the worst bit of casting by Cameron Mackintosh ever. He usually gets it spot on. Samantha Barks was born to play Eponine. Even better than Frances Ruffelle and way better than Lea Salonga.

Crowe is growing on me too.
    When was your last visit to the stage show? I haven't been in about 6 months. The last cast I saw were so perfect I have put off going back.. well I say perfect more Hadley Fraser was in it :D

Gareth Gates wasn't a bad Marius when I saw him. But can't stand him on the CD.

Can't forgive Cameron Mackintosh for the Jonas brother casting. Makes me angry!!! Have to skip on the Marius bits on the 25th Anniversary DVD and to think how many past Marius' were in the ensemble/choir.. what a waste!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galinda wrote: »
    Crowe is growing on me too.
    When was your last visit to the stage show? I haven't been in about 6 months. The last cast I saw were so perfect I have put off going back.. well I say perfect more Hadley Fraser was in it :D

Gareth Gates wasn't a bad Marius when I saw him. But can't stand him on the CD.

Can't forgive Cameron Mackintosh for the Jonas brother casting. Makes me angry!!! Have to skip on the Marius bits on the 25th Anniversary DVD and to think how many past Marius' were in the ensemble/choir.. what a waste!

:mad: BIB. Spot on!
    I go once every two years plus a few other times if it's on tour. :o
    I love Hadley Fraser, but dont think I've ever caught him in Les Miz, lucky you. I didn't get to see Gareth either, it didn't play a theatre near enough to see it,flying to London is much easier, it's only an hour, so I only picked up his performance on YouTube. I last saw it about 18months ago, I think. September is the next outing!

I always thought Colm would never be topped as JVJ, but one production had a Norwegian opera singer ( I'd have to rifle through all my programmes to find his name) and he was absolutely tremendous. His version of BHH brought the house down. I'm now in love with Alfie Boe as a great JVJ too.
    John Owen Jones is another fantastic lead, though as I've recently seen him in the touring version of Phantom, I've got him in my head as Phantom not Valjean at the moment. :)