I've spent the past 48 hours watching Gladiators videos on Youtube

Comments

• JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite Gladiator was Panther. Her injury on Tilt was horrific though. She's got a gym round where I live but I'd be too shy to go haha.

I wish they would bring it back properly. The Sky series got so much wrong - silly costumes, not a great venue (I think the pool took up too much space), and the games didn't look right. Also, most of the Gladiators tried to be bad guys which just didn't work; in the original, only Wolf was the bad guy really while the others were all gracious in victory/defeat.

I really wish they could bring it back at the NIA. I think it would be a hit with the right set up. I wonder who could present it?!
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    My favourite Gladiator was Panther. Her injury on Tilt was horrific though. She's got a gym round where I live but I'd be too shy to go haha.

I wish they would bring it back properly. The Sky series got so much wrong - silly costumes, not a great venue (I think the pool took up too much space), and the games didn't look right. Also, most of the Gladiators tried to be bad guys which just didn't work; in the original, only Wolf was the bad guy really while the others were all gracious in victory/defeat.

I really wish they could bring it back at the NIA. I think it would be a hit with the right set up. I wonder who could present it?!

The best thing about the new series was seeing the legends return for three of the episodes. It almost brought tears to my eyes, some still looked incredible (Lightening, Scorpio, Hunter, Trojan), but seeing people like Cobra let themselves go so much was a bit sad.

I would love to meet them all. I met Rio and Trojan before and they were so nice. I looked up to all of them, and ever since I saw this thread, I have been rewatching and I can see why I loved it so much.

If they ever did it again, it won't be the same as the original, as the new one showed. The best thing is if they have new gladiators but the originals were there as coaches/referees/managers. I want to see them back on my screen! We see Jet all the time on BB BOTS, and we have seen Hunter on Celebrity Juice and they are still great. It would be great to see what ALL of them have been up to.

My fave female glads were Lightening, Jet and Rio. Males were Trojan, Wolf, Hunter and Cobra.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    The best thing about the new series was seeing the legends return for three of the episodes. It almost brought tears to my eyes, some still looked incredible (Lightening, Scorpio, Hunter, Trojan), but seeing people like Cobra let themselves go so much was a bit sad.

I would love to meet them all. I met Rio and Trojan before and they were so nice. I looked up to all of them, and ever since I saw this thread, I have been rewatching and I can see why I loved it so much.

If they ever did it again, it won't be the same as the original, as the new one showed. The best thing is if they have new gladiators but the originals were there as coaches/referees/managers. I want to see them back on my screen! We see Jet all the time on BB BOTS, and we have seen Hunter on Celebrity Juice and they are still great. It would be great to see what ALL of them have been up to.

My fave female glads were Lightening, Jet and Rio. Males were Trojan, Wolf, Hunter and Cobra.

I don't agree with your penultimate paragraph! It could easily work a lot better than the Sky series as I stated above. It needs the arena setting, and the right choice of Gladiators.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't a huge fan back in the day but I did watch it. One of my favourite episodes was with that scouse lass Eunice (? I think ?) . One of the more memorable contestants and one of the early stars of modern reality TV, although to her credit afaik she didn't cash in on her popularity via the 'media ****' route.

Oh, and Jet.. :) everyone fancied her of course.

Am I imagining things or was Denise Lewis a glaDiator too? There was another heptathlete who was also in it but she was horrible. Hated her
  • millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    Wasn't a huge fan back in the day but I did watch it. One of my favourite episodes was with that scouse lass Eunice (? I think ?) . One of the more memorable contestants and one of the early stars of modern reality TV, although to her credit afaik she didn't cash in on her popularity via the 'media ****' route.

Oh, and Jet.. :) everyone fancied her of course.

Am I imagining things or was Denise Lewis a glaDiator too? There was another heptathlete who was also in it but she was horrible. Hated her

I remember her, think she went on to be a stunt woman in a bond movie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't agree with your penultimate paragraph! It could easily work a lot better than the Sky series as I stated above. It needs the arena setting, and the right choice of Gladiators.

I think it's just because I have a special place in my mind with the original gladiators, it's weird. No one else will hold a candle to them, and I kind of want to see all of them now. But your are right, they need to get the setting right.
  • Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jet ♥
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqbal_M wrote: »

Thats the one. Man did the 2nd contestant get it tough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The new series was absolute cack. Putting water in was sooooo americanised. The blatent fixing to make the young kids look better as obviously the Legends would of taken them down if it had been legit.

There seemed too much mucking about how was I supposed to take this fairly when one of the guys dressed as a girl and basically mucked about not putting in much of a effort. Had this been 1990 they would of crucified those wannabe glads.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jet. Lightning. Hang Tough.

Nuff' said.
  • ~V~~V~ Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another Cobra fan here :)

I liked Saracen too - wasn't he a fire fighter and was still doing it?

Shaggy - you're thinking of Nightshade
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the decisions they made seemed a little bit unfair and biased.

I remember one show the two female contestants were working through the event and then one event before the final a contestant got injured. So they brought out a complete fresh contestant and when they got to the final suprise suprise who ended up winning.

If someone gets injured they should forfeit the competition and not have a replacement as thats really unfair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive just remembered a really funny thing that happenned now. Hang tough it was a contestant vs wolf now from what I remember there was about 40 seconds left and wolf got the guy half way and the guy just wouldnt let go of the ring. Wolf kept yanking away at his body but the guy was super strong and held his weight. Wolf by then realised he couldnt pull him down so in a bit of tongue and cheek he played with the contestants nose.

Very funny.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite videos to watch is the set construction one showing how they designed all the games and arena layout
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7crwUaqhtw
  • ~V~~V~ Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here's a clip of that fall
  • Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched one of those "The Legends Strike Back" where the original gladiators come back and face the current ones, which I've also not seen.. Lightning O_o! also Cobra was dressed as a female gladiator on their team :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~V~ wrote: »

:eek: Me and my mum were wincing watching that! I remember that happening at the time but it never gets any easier to watch. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched one of those "The Legends Strike Back" where the original gladiators come back and face the current ones, which I've also not seen.. Lightning O_o! also Cobra was dressed as a female gladiator on their team :D

Cobra didnt play it properly. All that show did was embarass the legends and it should of never been made.
  • Josh StonemJosh Stonem Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    JamesC81 wrote: »
    Shadow was my favorite, then he got found out for using performance enhancing drugs or something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXozIL6fj08

i mean just look at his eyes :D

Shadow was absolutely immense on Duel - he couldn't be beaten & not even on the computer game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow was absolutely immense on Duel - he couldn't be beaten & not even on the computer game.

He was beaten by the time he was sacked from the show. Can't remember if it was only once or more times.
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    He was beaten by the time he was sacked from the show. Can't remember if it was only once or more times.

Wow, honestly didn't know that. I just remember him always being completely dominant over the challengers.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Wow, honestly didn't know that. I just remember him always being completely dominant over the challengers.

IIRC his streak came to an end when he lost two straight Duels in one show. First guy got him to overbalance and step across onto the other platform, and the second guy knocked him off completely! I remember being proper stunned at that as a kid and it was the talk of the playground on Monday morning :D
    Forum Member
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    IIRC his streak came to an end when he lost two straight Duels in one show. First guy got him to overbalance and step across onto the other platform, and the second guy knocked him off completely! I remember being proper stunned at that as a kid and it was the talk of the playground on Monday morning :D

I either didn't see it or have memory loss as I don't remember that! :eek:

You've burst my bubble now of thinking he was unbeatable lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all need memory loss drugs so we can forget that horrible new series from ever airing. Worst decision SKY made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trojan makes an appearance in Louis Spence's show... 2011 I'm guessing:
    He looks in even better shape than he was in the 2008 reunion show when the glads returned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdfxUTtw8Y0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpo3OpZPghk