Les Miserables

Comments

• maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were additional scenes with Fantine but (as far as I know) none were singing. It was just an extended clip in 'Lovely Ladies', Various takes of 'I Dreamed A Dream' (you'll notice the version in the trailer is different to the version in the film) and the well-documented extended death scene.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One week until the release! :D
  • YesYes Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    Getting the 720p copy just now, can't wait. Absolutely amazing film. I'm probably the least likely person to like musicals but in a day where 99% of hollywood movies are horrific, I thought this was spell bounding. Along with 'The Impossible', it's the best film I've seen in a long while
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to seeing it again. Only thing that spoit it was imo Master of the house. Badly filmed, camera was all over the place and Helena Bonham and Sacha Baren Cohen were rubbish.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who delivered the best performance in Les Miserables?
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Who delivered the best performance in Les Miserables?

Samantha Barks.

In my opinion anyway, though Anne Hathaway and Eddie Redmayne were also brilliant. Hugh Jackman was wonderful 90% of the time, but his Bring Him Home ruined it for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's #1 on pre-orders on Amazon which is good :)
  • flounder78flounder78 Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    There were additional scenes with Fantine but (as far as I know) none were singing. It was just an extended clip in 'Lovely Ladies', Various takes of 'I Dreamed A Dream' (you'll notice the version in the trailer is different to the version in the film) and the well-documented extended death scene.

I dream a dream we done in one take (well dicumented) There are no more versions. The trailer was just a cut of the sound over other scenes

.Unlike other movie musicals — and music videos for that matter — the vocal tracks in ‘Les Miserables’ are not overdubbed studio recordings but are the live vocal performances that were captured during shooting. In fact, most songs in the film represent one take — as musical accompaniment, piano, was piped in by ear piece. That all adds up to more pressure on the performers.

Hathaway, who was also recently interviewed by the Associated Press, discussed her fear leading up to the “I Dreamed a Dream” scene and how Tom Hooper, who won an Oscar last year for directing “The King’s Speech,” talked her through it. (Incidentally, Hathaway’s own mother played the part of Fantine years earlier on Broadway.):
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flounder78 wrote: »
    I dream a dream we done in one take (well dicumented) There are no more versions. The trailer was just a cut of the sound over other scenes

No, there were multiple takes of it. By 'done in one take' what is meant is that Anne started the scene and the camera kept running until she finished the song - there were no breaks, it wasn't different takes of different bits of the song put together. The remarkable thing was that the song is so long, and wasn't cut down unlike some of the others.

They probably used the first take - they did that for some of the others. But there is no chance that thy only filmed it once, if only because they'd need back-ups in case something went wrong with the take they planned to use.
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was lots of takes of I Dreamed a Dream. They got it right on the 4th take but Anne wanted to do many more to see if she could better it. She said she never did... lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard there were a lot of 'IDAD' takes. I'd love to see the alternates
  • humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably been said already but anyone who loved the movie should
    a)read the novel (it is very readable for a book that is over 100 years old)
    b) listen to the cast recordings (the singing is far far better). The movie is still very good though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    humanracer wrote: »
    Probably been said already but anyone who loved the movie should
    a)read the novel (it is very readable for a book that is over 100 years old)
    b) listen to the cast recordings (the singing is far far better). The movie is still very good though.

c) Go and see the musical on stage!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »
    c) Go and see the musical on stage!

If you can get tickets :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought I'd let you know that Sainsburys' are doing an exclusive offer on the DVD. All other DVDs are standard-one disc but Sainsbury's are offering a 2-disc edition with the blu-ray special features on (handy if you don't have a blu-ray player).

Unfortunately my standard one disc version from Amazon has already been sent so I'll have two copies (but the second being the sainsbury's one) but oh well! :p

Here's the link:

https://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/Films-TV/DVD/Hugh-Jackman/Les-Miserables-Sainsbury-s-2-Disc-Exclusive/product.html?product=E11215064

__
    Also in today's daily mail there is a DVD offer of 'the making of les miserables'.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    ImOnlyWee wrote: »
    There was lots of takes of I Dreamed a Dream. They got it right on the 4th take but Anne wanted to do many more to see if she could better it. She said she never did... lol

I noticed that they used a different take in the trailer to the final version in the film.

My copy of the film hasn't been dispatched yet. :( It'll probably be dispatched tomorrow. hopefully it'll arrive on Tuesday.
    Forum Member
    Thought I'd let you know that Sainsburys' are doing an exclusive offer on the DVD. All other DVDs are standard-one disc but Sainsbury's are offering a 2-disc edition with the blu-ray special features on (handy if you don't have a blu-ray player).

Unfortunately my standard one disc version from Amazon has already been sent so I'll have two copies (but the second being the sainsbury's one) but oh well! :p

Here's the link:

https://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/Films-TV/DVD/Hugh-Jackman/Les-Miserables-Sainsbury-s-2-Disc-Exclusive/product.html?product=E11215064

__
    Also in today's daily mail there is a DVD offer of 'the making of les miserables'.

I've just requested a cancellation from Amazon and if successful I'm gonna be getting this one! Thanks for the tip!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I've just requested a cancellation from Amazon and if successful I'm gonna be getting this one! Thanks for the tip!

I've done the same, fingers crossed it works!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck guys :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck guys :)

It worked, just got cancellation confirmation! Thanks for the tip :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also to say that if anyone wants the 'behind the scenes' daily mail DVD but isn't able to get one, there's a seller on eBay who is selling it for £1.70 (and p&p is free!). :)
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong thread sorry.

PS glad to see Amazon refunded me some on my steel box per order
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the "Making of The Movie" extra on the US Blu-ray version and it's well worth watching.
    (Unfortunately I don't have a Blu-Ray machine, so can only watch it on my laptop)

It's where all the featurettes on You Tube came from, but put into one documentary, lasting approx. 65mins it's much more cohesive and is full of some great behind the scenes stuff. (Incidentally most songs involved multi takes), all the songs were "one take" as in the version shown was all sung in one go but they sang each song multiple times, I cant remember how many times Russell Crowe said he died singing his Suicide "Stars", while Eddie Redmayne's 14th or 15th take of Empty Chairs was the version used in the film. It must have taken a terrific toll on their vocal chords to spend a whole day doing take after take of the same song.
    There's also a 15 minute special on the book as well, so, for a first release ( and not for a minute do I not think there'll be an Extended or Directors' cut, out round about Xmas I would think :p ) it's pretty good.
    I've had my email from Amazon, I cost £10 in the end, so I'm pretty pleased with that and looking forward to boring all and sundry with multiple plays tomorrow.:)
    Forum Member
    It worked, just got cancellation confirmation! Thanks for the tip :)

Just checked my email. Mine was cancelled too! :) Gotta wait a while for Sainsbury's to dispatch though. it'll be worth it!
    Forum Member
    I'll be gutted if I don't get it by Wednesday. It's likely that i'll be popping into sainsburys on the way home from shopping!