Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, these threads are always useful.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I came across FF21 this morning and upgraded via the release update channel from "About Firefox", but I have run into a problem.

If I try to open this webcam http://saitek1.camstreams.com/ it comes up with
    A plugin is needed to display this content. Install plugin..,
    but when I try to do it, it tries to install WMP11 but then says that it is not available.

It is not the web site as it works OK if I try IE and it was working with FF20 this morning.

Any ideas anyone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    I came across FF21 this morning and upgraded via the release update channel from "About Firefox", but I have run into a problem.

If I try to open this webcam http://saitek1.camstreams.com/ it comes up with but when I try to do it, it tries to install WMP11 but then says that it is not available.

It is not the web site as it works OK if I try IE and it was working with FF20 this morning.

Any ideas anyone?

This is the plugin you need if the stream is not working.
    http://www.interoperabilitybridges.com/windows-media-player-firefox-plugin-download

Im running 21 and it just works for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been there and downloaded it and run the download, but it didn't help.

I have tried both the "repair" option and the "change" option with no joy.

By the way, I am using Vista 64.

Edit: I have also tried uninstalling the plugin and then reinstalling it with no joy.
    Forum Member
    Just tried on a Virtual machine of vista I have, it did need the plugin to be installed and a reboot and all was fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Just tried on a Virtual machine of vista I have, it did need the plugin to be installed and a reboot and all was fine.
    A reboot of Firefox or the PC?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I tried a reboot of the PC, but I am still getting the same message about installing the plugin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anybody else got any ideas please?
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Has anybody else got any ideas please?

Just right click the link and 'open in I.E'. Probably the quickest way to view it.....The plug-in doesn't appear to work properly.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Been having a mess around with it, installed plugin and switched off Adblock but no luck except for one live cam under scenery.
    That is one out of about 20 that I tried, the rest don't ask for the plugin any more just show a blank white screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    The plug-in doesn't appear to work properly.
    Ah thanks, I thought it was me, but clearly not. I can sleep tonight. :)

I might try reverting to FF20 in the morning.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    @albertd

Anything to do with this problem? Seems there's a work-around if it is.

More discussion about it on Mozilla's Bugzilla.
    Forum Member
    There is a bugfix for this at Bugzilla, worth reading

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=872325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gort/lettice:

Thanks for the pointers. I looked at the links, and they might as well be written in Mongolian for all the sense they make to me. I am no software engineer, just a computer user, and I have no clue from that how to fix this problem.

I think I will see if I can get back to FF20 (which will be difficult enough for me) and hope that a bug-fixed version of 21 is sorted out soon and released.
    Forum Member
    Gort/lettice:

Thanks for the pointers. I looked at the links, and they might as well be written in Mongolian for all the sense they make to me. I am no software engineer, just a computer user, and I have no clue from that how to fix this problem.

I think I will see if I can get back to FF20 (which will be difficult enough for me) and hope that a bug-fixed version of 21 is sorted out soon and released.

There will not be a bug fix, look at the status

A few resolutions are listed in those discussions.
    Its worth asking in the mozilla forum discussion, they will help you through to resolve it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    There will not be a bug fix, look at the status

A few resolutions are listed in those discussions.
    Its worth asking in the mozilla forum discussion, they will help you through to resolve it.
    I don't understand, why shouldn't they fix it? It is a bug which they have introduced, surely they should fix it too.

I doubt if going to that forum would help me at all. From what I see in those links, these people only speak gobbledegook.

Also, I have not been able to find a source of FF20 to download to see if I can get back to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I have posted a question onto the forum (which I see Gort linked back at 0100 - thanks), making it clear that I am totally non-technical. It will be interesting to see what the response is.

As I imagined, the forum is generally written in incomprehensible techspeak.

My posting is currently awaiting moderator approval.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The webcam admin staff have pointed me to this
    However in the meantime, this workaround does work:

Type about:config in the address bar and change plugins.load_appdir_plugins
    from false to true. Then quit and restart firefox.
    which seems to work.

I did it with my heart in my mouth, because I had no idea what I was doing, and it worked.

Edit: I see that this is buried in the forum thread, but is not fully explained - I would never have fathomed it out from that! :(
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Doesn't work on mine, glad you got it working.........Good job I'm not that fussed about gazing at the Clyde eh....!? ;)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems somebody else has a similar problem with the WMP plugin on FF21.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2704649&sid=408ba12e78f0c0ef09b9554ded540662
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just tried the about:config trick and it works for me too. However, they do say that this is not guaranteed to work going forward!
    Forum Member
    The webcam admin staff have pointed me to this

which seems to work.

I did it with my heart in my mouth, because I had no idea what I was doing, and it worked.

Edit: I see that this is buried in the forum thread, but is not fully explained - I would never have fathomed it out from that! :(

Ok good that did seem to be one of the workarounds.
    That was a problem back in Jan on a previous beta release for some old quicktime plugins.

You may find that the next release of firefox may reset that to false. but you know how to fix now :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Doesn't work on mine, glad you got it working.........Good job I'm not that fussed about gazing at the Clyde eh....!? ;)
    Mind you, I wonder what else is affected, certainly most, if not all, of the other webcams on that site.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    Well, I have posted a question onto the forum (which I see Gort linked back at 0100 - thanks), making it clear that I am totally non-technical. It will be interesting to see what the response is.

As I imagined, the forum is generally written in incomprehensible techspeak.

My posting is currently awaiting moderator approval.

Sorry about not giving you a detailed explanation about the about:config answer, but I do have to admit that it was a bit late and I was about to visit the Land of Nod. I also wasn't sure which trick you wanted to carry out (the about:config one is the easier/better in my opinion), so linked and let you decide. Glad you got it sorted.

That forum might appear intimidating if you're not used to technical talk, but as you notice there are many there who can walk you through your problems. The forum's always worth a look if you get any other Firefox related problems in future (or Seamonkey, etc).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to worry Gort, but thanks anyway. I was with you most of the way with the above until I got to the last line and I went "Seamonkey - What????", but I have since looked it up in Wikipedia and I think it is something for me to steer well clear of !