Sam Callahan - a superstar in the making?

cats academycats academy Posts: 787
Forum Member
✭✭
I mean, he clearly has what it takes. The voice, the looks and, CRITICALLY, the attitude. That kind of - 'I'm really good at this stuff; I'm confident but not cocky' thing going on that is what popstars are made of: cif Harry Styles, Robbie Williams, Jamelia etc.
He can hold a tune - that's a given. But it's the richness of the tone of this voice that impresses me. Crucially, it doesn't sound like he's had a cold for around a week and a half.
I love him, and I'm sure most of the UK will and would (if they haven't had the pleasure of hearing him sing yet).
He's no Janet Devlin - he's going all the way and I can't see him forgetting his words at any point of the competition.
I, personally, cannot wait for him to do a stripped back ballad: Stay by Rihanna, anyone?

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's got the looks but, I'm just not convinced he has the vocal ability. He would have been far better suited as a band member to be honest. As a solo artist, I think he is very lacklustre, though he will probably find success after the show if he makes it to the final.
  • Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a word - no.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Yes! I'm so glad somebody else agrees with me. Though I'm pretty certain this thread is going to get a lot of hate, lol! ;)

This competition is not all about the voice. Sam Callahan would probably do crap if he went on The Voice, but this is The X Factor and I really think he's a little superstar.
    If what everybody says is true, he works really really hard and is a really genuine guy.

To quote Louis, 'He's one of the hardest working people I know. ... He has such a great work ethic.'
    He also said on the show 'You are a dream to mentor.'
    I like that he knows his strengths and his weaknesses, isn't one of those contestants that feels he is entitled and doesn't have to put the effort in and everybody I have spoken to from around here sings his praises and says what a lovely lovely boy he is.
    Also, apparently he's brilliant to see live and really gives his audience a good show. I tried to see him live just before XF but the gig got cancelled, I assume because of his XF commitments.

I'm rooting for him. I love when a genuine, hard working person does well. And I love people with ambition and dogged determination. I hope the boy has a great future ahead of him.

(P.S. And I also might be a biased as I love a bit of local Essex talent. ;) )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    He's got a strong stage presence and charisma that ought to give him some kind of future in pop culture, but I doubt it'll be as a solo singer. His voice is just so poor, and he's going to be hit on that over and over.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean, he clearly has what it takes. The voice, the looks and, CRITICALLY, the attitude. That kind of - 'I'm really good at this stuff; I'm confident but not cocky' thing going on that is what popstars are made of: cif Harry Styles, Robbie Williams, Jamelia etc.
    He can hold a tune - that's a given. But it's the richness of the tone of this voice that impresses me. Crucially, it doesn't sound like he's had a cold for around a week and a half.
    I love him, and I'm sure most of the UK will and would (if they haven't had the pleasure of hearing him sing yet).
    He's no Janet Devlin - he's going all the way and I can't see him forgetting his words at any point of the competition.
    I, personally, cannot wait for him to do a stripped back ballad: Stay by Rihanna, anyone?
    BIB is not a given. He can barely hold a tune. As for the tone of voice I am afraid it sounds exactly like has a cold. He strains his vocals and actually in danger if ruining his voice. I am afraid the only thing going for him is his looks and his popstar attitude.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • ValerianValerian Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tamryn29 wrote: »
    In a word - no.

In a word- Ditto.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's totally gorgeous and has a lovely body. :o

Being totally shallow he should win for that reason. Lol.
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    He's totally gorgeous and has a lovely body. :o

Being totally shallow he should win for that reason. Lol.

LOL. Well at least you're honest.

I don't actually think he should win. But there is life after the X Factor, so I hope he has a career after the show. It's often not the winners that come out on top anyway.
  • alexjr2alexjr2 Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Sam is sick!

:rolleyes:
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure he's a lovely boy, but his vocals on Saturday really surprised me with how bad they were :o Obviously I knew he wasn't the strongest singer beforehand, but I couldn't remember him sounding that weak.
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he the Simon Fuller plant? Dont get Fullers love for puppets. He cant sing very well.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,211
    Forum Member
    All he has is the looks, but that's all you need these days to sell music, e.g 1D. I would be best in a boyband, like 1D actually. :D
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    His future's bright, his future's orange.
    Forum Member
    I'm sure he's a lovely boy, but his vocals on Saturday really surprised me with how bad they were :o Obviously I knew he wasn't the strongest singer beforehand, but I couldn't remember him sounding that weak.

See, I've watched it a couple of times and I really don't think it was as bad as people are making it out to be. There were a couple of shaky notes, but other than that...:confused:
    I noticed he pulled his ear piece out half way through as well.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Jamelia"
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't pay too much attention before the Live Shows (the ones I remember best are Tamera, Nicholas, and all the hype around Melanie McCabe, plus Hannah's tears and the pregnant girl), but he has given a good first (detailed) impression, in my book. I can sense the dedication in him, and he seems like the type who will give it his all every week. I like fighters; his attitude that some don't like is actually very appealing for me, as I naturally gravitate towards the ones who are dedicated.

His voice isn't the best (his range is a bit limited, and that's me being nice), but it's not as bad as the forum would like to think. It's more or less serviceable for commercial purposes. Not a fan of excuses, but I read on Twitter that he's on voice rest. I don't know if that's SOP for performers but he must really be sick or something. What concerns me, with respect to the competition, is that it's not highlighted. This means he will probably be on his way out after a month or so (unless he turns people around), as the likes of Kingsland Road and fellow boy Nicholas are higher in the priority scale.

... but please, no Rihanna. Tamera (who's number 1 on my list as of now) did it in JH and that will just give room for comparisons.

His future success will depend on those who back contestants up (i.e. producers). You can be like Gamu and have so much potential, but without the right people, you can only go so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    "Jamelia"

Name-dropping Jamelia in a thread with the word "superstar" in it should count as a pun :D
  • lazy marelazy mare Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Were you watching a different performance? I had to turn it off.
  • lazy marelazy mare Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    And he doesn't have the looks. Pleasant looking but no Harry/Zayn.
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trollololol
    Forum Member
    lazy mare wrote: »
    And he doesn't have the looks. Pleasant looking but no Harry/Zayn.

Argh, no. I don't get the Harry thing at all.
    Zayn is a good looking lad, but Harry just looks like he needs a wash to me. Maybe I'm getting old, lol.

I do think XFactor need to lay off the spray tan with Sam. Lol.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    StageDive wrote: »
    See, I've watched it a couple of times and I really don't think it was as bad as people are making it out to be. There were a couple of shaky notes, but other than that...:confused:
    I noticed he pulled his ear piece out half way through as well.

I could only sit through it the once, so you may have seen something I didn't. Once was uncomfortable enough :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StageDive wrote: »
    Argh, no. I don't get the Harry thing at all.
    Zayn is a good looking lad, but Harry just looks like he needs a wash to me. Maybe I'm getting old, lol.

I do think XFactor need to lay off the spray tan with Sam. Lol.

Leftovers from Maloney's time, I reckon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    He looks like he just missed the One Direction bus. Like the love child of Justin Bieber and Liam Payn.